+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think you've had enough advice but I'll throw my two cents in anyway 😜
    - no I wouldn't want to share a room or bed, or bathroom with work colleagues, I don't even do this with friends.
    - I wouldn't go on a work weekend away even though I have great workmates who are like friends to me. As others have said we spend all week with our workmates weekends are for family. It would also push the friendship possibly.
    - as it's you and your DH business you get to have your spouse there and no one else does, kinda unfair
    - it's a big commitment to ask ppl to be away from their family even though it's a generous offer on your part.
    - some may not be able/comfortable to attend which creates inequity
    - I'd personally prefer a family day out or a really nice work dinner, or a 'standard' work dinner with a generous gift to each employee (who doesn't need a $500 bonus that time of year?!)
    I think your heart's in the right place but there's other options to reward your staff that everyone could be totally at ease with and grateful for! Let us know the outcome though and yay for you caring for your employees so much! Great way to engender goodwill and loyalty.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (23-08-2015),MissMuppet  (23-08-2015),Renesme  (23-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    I think you've had enough advice but I'll throw my two cents in anyway 😜
    - no I wouldn't want to share a room or bed, or bathroom with work colleagues, I don't even do this with friends.
    - I wouldn't go on a work weekend away even though I have great workmates who are like friends to me. As others have said we spend all week with our workmates weekends are for family. It would also push the friendship possibly.
    - as it's you and your DH business you get to have your spouse there and no one else does, kinda unfair
    - it's a big commitment to ask ppl to be away from their family even though it's a generous offer on your part.
    - some may not be able/comfortable to attend which creates inequity
    - I'd personally prefer a family day out or a really nice work dinner, or a 'standard' work dinner with a generous gift to each employee (who doesn't need a $500 bonus that time of year?!)
    I think your heart's in the right place but there's other options to reward your staff that everyone could be totally at ease with and grateful for! Let us know the outcome though and yay for you caring for your employees so much! Great way to engender goodwill and loyalty.
    I must admit I would go away for the weekend and wouldn't like hubby too.

I would much prefer a day thing. Family day at some sort fun place or winery tour (even though we don't drink) maybe tickets to see a show of their choice. Actually a cooking class would even be nice.
    Actually a good ham and/or seafood voucher for their actually Christmas lunch would be nice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (23-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby_Tuesday15 View Post
    I wouldn't blink at sharing a room, but wouldn't be comfortable sharing a bed. We regularly share rooms when we travel for work, the government does not splash out for individual rooms lol!
    I work for state gov and we always have a 2 day meeting/training in the lead up to Christmas. No funding for Christmas parties and we all work at different locations in our team so need an excuse to get together.

At one stage we had a statewide meeting and because of how many of us there are we ended up having to share rooms - with bunk beds. Not my cup of tea.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its a lovely thought and you sound like an awesome boss, but I wouldn't go for it, and I wouldn't be comfortable with DH going away for that kind of weekend with workmates either. I think sharing rooms, alcohol and being away from spouses is a bit inappropriate for a work function and I know some workplaces where that could open a can of worms.

I would have loved it when I was young and working to put myself through uni - I would have gone and had so much fun. But now I've got a family it would be a no.

I honestly think that if you want to reward staff after a profitable year then cash bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. I'd have a regular dinner Christmas party and then give people a cash bonus Christmas present. As an employee that would be my ideal work Christmas and I would be so grateful.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (23-08-2015),~Marigold~  (23-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't like to go away with work colleagues. Especially at Christmas time when the weekends are already very busy.
    I would love to party at the house though so maybe you could somehow organise a bus to drive them up and back for the night. A casual lunch going into the night plus dinner, cocktails, swimming and dancing would be great. Just not the stating over part!!
    Then you and your family could enjoy the house for the whole weekend on your own?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't like to share a room and definitely not a bed. I wouldn't like to stay away overnight either, as others have said I wouldn't want to be away from my family and although I love my work colleagues I want to be at home on my days off! If I did go it would be for one night tops.
    However I love the idea above me of having a big cocktail party/dinner type thing and hiring a courtesy bus to take everyone home!
    You are certainly a great boss to want to do that for your employees though, at my work place we go to Hogs Breath for our Xmas party and we have to pay lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you need a more northern satellite office btw?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Actually what if I say we'd love you to stay overnight but I've organised a mini bus to pick you up Sunday morning and will drop you home Sunday night if that suits your family better? So then it's their choice? I know the boys won't care ( none married or have kids) it's just some of the girls I'm more worried about, 2 have primary school aged kids , I was going to give them all the Monday off if they stayed Sunday night but should I if they don't stay?

All the staff are on bonuses if we meet out targets ( which we will) so they will be getting cash any way I'm just trying to think of something more exciting than just a nice dinner?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    so basically those wanting to stay can stay, those who would prefer to just come for the day get a mini bus pick up and drop off with their spouse and kids?

sounds pretty fair to me.

my main worry is that only the young guys might want to stay then it might be awkward??

16. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    so basically those wanting to stay can stay, those who would prefer to just come for the day get a mini bus pick up and drop off with their spouse and kids?

sounds pretty fair to me.

my main worry is that only the young guys might want to stay then it might be awkward??
    No I think my office manager (SIL) and the oldest sales lady will be definitely in - both try to avoid their husbands and teenagers at any chance! I think our pa and property manager would be ok ( they are office besties so would think they would be happy to share a room) it's just the other 2 with younger kids that it might be too much for so having a mini bus might be a great idea for them , the boys and DH get on all really well so I'm already thinking we can banish them downstairs and we can be ladies of leisure by the pool!