+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Iron Injection bruising - permanent scarring! What should I do??

Hi all,
    I'm just looking for some advice on how to handle this situation, I apologise if this comes over as a bit lengthy & emotionally charged.
    After feeling slightly tired I went to the doctor to find my ferritin was 6. Haemoglobin still ok however. After taking iron supplements orally for a few weeks it went up to 12, but was still tired and (TMI) but so constipated.
    I went to the doc asking if I could get an infusion or something (just wanted it over and done with, I'm not afraid of needles etc.), he suggested iron injections, saying he does them all the time, and I should do 5 in a fortnight. I don't remember him mentioning any risks.
    I intimated that coming back 5 times in two weeks was a lot and he suggested as I'm a nursing student that it would be ok to do them myself or my nurse friend could do them.
    Long story short, they came as ampules so I needed needles and syringes, rang the practise to ask for some and they suggest I go see the nurse.
    Popped in and saw her, she was happy to give them to me and I thought I may as well get her to do the first one in my bottom anyway.
    As soon as I got home there was a massive bruise.

I'm now 3 days down the track and bruise has not improved at all, and upon googling I'm pretty sure what I have is actually an iron stain/tattoo. It is on my bottom and round, about the size of a smallish drinking cup round edge.
    I am furious! The nurse wanted me to stay for 5 minutes after my appointment to make sure I didn't have an allergic reaction but never checked the site.
    I was never told any risks from her, and only knew of the possibility of 'injection site skin staining' from the booklet - but I pictured it to be pin prick size not a large dark bruise!

My question basically is, how can I handle a situation like this?? Obviously I will give it longer than 3 days but apparently these iron marks are permanent and the only way of treating is laser tattoo removal. Don't know who to talk to, where to begin... Do I even have a leg to stand on?

Thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No advice just sympathy from me - two years later the marks are still there! They do bother me but not enough to get laser treatment ... I wasn't told it would happen either, found out the same way you did!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not 100% sure as we don't give iron as an injection, only as an infusion. The skin staining is permanent. If it turns out it is in fact skin staining, I would be talking to your doctor first. I'm not sure the next steps in submitting a complaint to the practice +/- against the GP. When did you have the injection done? I would give it time to settle down and then see how it looks. I'm picturing the colour of the iron we give though and it would be fairly obvious I imagine if it was staining, but again it may also depend how deep they injected the needle. Sorry, I'm not a lot of help!

If you do continue to have issues with your iron after all this, rather than iron tablets maybe try the liquid iron. It's better absorbed by the body (especially when taken with Vitamin C) and has less issues with constipation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had this on both cheeks. Very large and very prominent. I thought they would never go away and they didn't for a long time. They pretty much looked brand new for about 3 years and then started to fade.
    Now it's been about 5 years and they are totally gone so there is hope.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Iron Injection bruising - permanent scarring! What should I do??

Thanks ladies.
    I had the injection 3 days ago. So definitely think part of it is bruising, but it was raised when I got home and bruised instantly I think. I'm wondering if she accidentally did it subcutaneously.
    I will see if it settles but I'm wondering if I have a leg to stand on in terms of complaints slash compensation.
    The practise is actually a medical and aesthetic practise, so I'm actually hoping that if I complain they'll offer free laser services, as I have heard they do fade, just very very slowly like a tattoo and respond well to tattoo removal lasers....
    I know it's not a big deal and am glad it's on my bum, but I can't help but be upset by it !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine took about 5 years to fade too. I would push for the infusion I had this about a month ago and there were no issues plus it works a lot faster.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you guys think I have a leg to stand on and say that it's not good enough that I wasn't warned about this, etc. and insist that some free laser removal sessions be sent my way??
    If I hadve known there's no way i would've agreed!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a huge stain from a poorly given iron injection on my left thigh but it is completely gone now, seven years later. Mine hurt for about two years too. I am so sorry you are going through this.

Edited to add: It can't hurt to complain. I didn't know laser removal was an option.
    Last edited by Cardi; 22-08-2015 at 23:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes you can complain. You did not have informed consent. You did not have all the risks explained to you and given all other alternatives.
    If you had the risks explained to you you may not have proceeded with this treatment.
    The question then is would you have proceeded if you knew about the risk?? If you would have proceeded despite the risk then it is unfair to seek compensation ie laser etc. legally however you are more than entitled to seek the cost of rectifying the damage caused by a side effect you were not informed of.
    You can also seek pain and suffering but I think that is unreasonable given the nature of the damage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The doctors should have mentioned the risk to you. Informed consent requires the dr to ensure they clearly explain any aspect of the care that would make the patient reconsider the treatment. I don't know your details but it is not unreasonable to think that a young/middle age female would be very concerned about a large permanent stain on their skin.

I think your case is strengthened by the dr encouraging self injection, as the chance of iron staining would have been greatly increased by this (assuming you are less experienced then him) and therefore makes it even more important that staining was clearly discussed and understood.

I have no idea how you could proceed but maybe take some pictures in the next few days while you decide, and write down your experiences so far. These might help should you later decide to seek compensation.