+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 14mth old still feeds 3-5 times during the night so if it was me I'd just be happy and go with the flow you are obviously on the right track to that elusive sleeping through the night! After reading that study that suggested babies sleep is mostly genetic but can be influenced by environment from 18mths I'm planning on moving dd to her own room at 18mths and hoping to gently night wean. Sometimes night weaning works great and sometimes the stress and upset is not worth it but up the individual families to decide what's best for them! Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A friend of mine is going through this atm. She is struggling because she has gone back to work full time and isn't getting enough sleep. However, her attempts to night wean haven't been solid, because she doesn't want to deny her 20 month old DD of what she wants. Of course, it's not working at all, and she is tearing her hair out 'hoping' her DD will night wean herself...

Each to their own. If you aren't ready to wean no one can make you. And that is totally ok. But if you really want to wean you have to commit to it with consistency and cold turkey may be the way to go - obviously not for everyone though. Cold turkey is hard, but effective. Some might call it mean. But it worked for us - 3 nights (only one of which was bad, other 2 only cried for 10-15 mins). Then he slept through the night for the first time ever, and continued to ever since. No harm done. But our DS was much younger (10 months?) and I have been told it's much harder with older babies/toddlers.

My midwife actually said anything over 12 months is extremely difficult and it gets worse as they get older. Some children won't ever self wean - they will take it until you refuse it.

I don't think they need night feeds from a nutritional point of view at that age - it's a comfort thing.

But each to their own, no judgement, just weaning advice 😉

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (25-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post

My midwife actually said anything over 12 months is extremely difficult and it gets worse as they get older. Some children won't ever self wean - they will take it until you refuse it.

I don't think they need night feeds from a nutritional point of view at that age - it's a comfort thing.

But each to their own, no judgement, just weaning advice 😉
    That's actually not true. Dr Sears discourages night weaning before 12 mths as often babies do actually need them. Dr jay Gordon has a fabulous night weaning plan for babies 12mths + that is gentle and effective.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (25-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    That's actually not true. Dr Sears discourages night weaning before 12 mths as often babies do actually need them. Dr jay Gordon has a fabulous night weaning plan for babies 12mths + that is gentle and effective.
    I tried 'gentle' with my DD. god knows how long that would've taken. I tried for weeks and weeks with no progress. She responded to cold turkey in just 3 nights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so I settle him for sleep and when he wakes at 12pm do I just let him CIO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Ok so I settle him for sleep and when he wakes at 12pm do I just let him CIO.
    I think you do what you are comfortable with. When we night weaned we sat with her and had cuddles and sang. Yes she cried but I felt better because we were with her. And I think she felt more reassured because even though she couldn't have milk, she still had our presence.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-08-2015),yadot  (26-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't even deal. Just booked a sleep consultant. $500 later