+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tips for night weaning

Ds is almost 14 months old & still has one feed overnight. His eating has improved so im not sure if hes hungry or just wanting the comfort.

I do feel ready to night wean, but if he isn't ready i dont want to distress him.

However dh is absolutely adamant that 'its becoming a bad habit & he has to be night weaned before it becomes any harder to break'. He is the most stubborn person in the world so if thats his opinion then theres no way to change his mind without massive fights.

So i guess we are night weaning - therefore im after some ways to do it fairly gently that dont involve cosleeping

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I've always found some good tips at Kellymom so you might find something here helpful
    http://kellymom.com/ages/weaning/wea...weaning-night/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DH did the night weaning. When the kids woke up, he would go in and offer a sip of water and cuddle, pat, shush whatever until they went back to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dh has been trying that, this morning ds screamed for about 30 mins then rolled around being silly then started screaming again & never did go back to sleep. So today was a nightmare cause he woke up at 3am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do feel ready to night wean but im also happy to wait for ds to do it in his own time. I dont think its a bad habit either. I think he is still a very little boy & its ok if he needs comfort overnight.

Dh sees it differently though & i dont feel like arguing about it with him

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been night weaning ds 11 mo. I've just done it cold turkey, so we offer water, cuddles, etc instead. The first couple of nights it was hard but then he seemed fine with it. However he's been sick a lot with fevers since starting cc so keep having to revert back to night feeding while he's unwell to keep him better hydrated. In between times when he's well though I haven't been feeding him and he's ok with it.

However I'm weaning for my own health and I'm also getting ready to stop feeding him altogether, so I've pushed the weaning myself a bit more (having said this though he's showing less and less interest in day feeds now too).

If you're not ready too then don't, there's no hurry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I went cold turkey with night feeding and cosleeping with DD at 12 months. I just did whatever it took, mostly a quick cuddle, back down and walked out of the room. She would cry, I'd leave her a few minutes then repeat the process until she realised I wasn't going to feed her to sleep. The longest she cried on the first night was 5 minutes, and from then on barely at all. On the third night she slept through the night and has done ever since. And from that day on she never fed to sleep, instead she goes to sleep very quickly all by herself.

From the day she night weaned she started eating more food during the day too, which further contributed to sleeping well overnight. It's a bit of a viscous cycle when they feed overnight...they don't seem as hungry during the day, so they're hungry overnight. Once you break that cycle you'll find the daytime appetite increases.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    DH did the night weaning. When the kids woke up, he would go in and offer a sip of water and cuddle, pat, shush whatever until they went back to sleep.
    This.

We used dr jay Gordon's night weaning plan successfully with both girls aged 14&16mths. They took 3-5 days to do it.

And DH had to do it all by himself.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (23-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Dh has been trying that, this morning ds screamed for about 30 mins then rolled around being silly then started screaming again & never did go back to sleep. So today was a nightmare cause he woke up at 3am.
    Did you all get up at 3? If your DH is adamant he needs to be night weaned, let him get up with bub and you sleep in.

I can't remember but does bub take EBM in a bottle? Perhaps your DH could offer EBM and slowly decrease the amount he gets.

Google Jay Gordon's night weaning. It's meant to be a gentle method and suitable for 12 months plus.

I think though that you need to come to a compromise with your DH. If you aren't ready now maybe agree to wait 2 months so you can prepare for it or he may even grow out of needing his feed.

Although he isn't doing the night feeds now, he should still get a say in these things as he is just as much your DSs parent as you are, but he shouldn't have the first and last word on the decision

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (23-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-08-2015)