+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My friend just got back from Europe and did lots of stops like all of your suggestions. She was exhausted.

What sort of accomodation are tit staying in?

I would pick two - longer time in Paris

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Europe trip itinerary help

I like number 2 the best. Is there a reason you want to spend so much time in Rovaniemi though? It's beautiful but it's so cold and hard to get around in winter. Santa's workshop is worth a visit but apart from that it might be difficult with kids not to mention extremely expensive. 4 or even 3 nights would be enough in my opinion.
    Last edited by Once Upon a Time; 24-08-2015 at 07:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    thanks everyone I have tweaked some things for trip 3 so there is not so much moving around and longer at places but it still may be trip 2.

Once upon a time- i have so many days to fit everything we want to do in. Could prob only have 4 days but day one will be all just getting there so that only leave 3 days for Joulukka tour, Aurora Borealis safari, Santa villiage, husky safari, reindeer farm and ice fishing (the only thing my eldest keeps talking about) That also includes spending Christmas day there aswell.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mordygordy For This Useful Post:

Once Upon a Time  (01-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds amazing, please keep us informed I think I've convinced my husband to do the same trip in a few years

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have another plan which I am liking at the minute what do you think?
    Munich- 7 nights with day trips to Nymphenburg Palace and Salzbrug and Innsbruk
    Berlin- 4 nights
    Copenhagen- 4 nights
    Rovanemi (lapland) Finland- 5 nights
    Barcelona- 5 nights
    Lyon- 2 nights
    Paris- 7 nights
    Istanbul- 6 nights (1 night on way home before flying out)
    Goreme- 4 nights

So Munich, Berlin, Copenhagen will all be before Christmas. Christmas at Finland and New year at Barcelona. Thoughts?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mordygordy For This Useful Post:

harvs  (05-09-2015),SpecialPatrolGroup  (05-09-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Actually I really like this one. My first thought was it's a shame to miss out on Switzerland, but to be honest, Austria isn't that different! And from Munich you can go to the Disney Castle which is well worth it at winter time. I think you can even get a horse and cart up the hill to save the walk.

I still think you should go to Prague, but I think everyone should go to Prague all the time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Switzerland is one of the top places I want to visit. I just can't work out a way to do it that doesn't involve lots of stops/ moving around.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Couple of thoughts

Time in each stop - good. No 1 nighters, and most are 4 or more. Is the best way to do it with a reasonable sized group as moving around too much isnt fun.

Day trips are good - but check how far it is to each place. so I wouldnt do both Salzburg and Innsbruck ... pick one and then do other trips closer to Munich. Its nearly 2 hrs on the train to each of them. 2 hrs is about the limit for a day trip - so its doable, but I wouldnt put 2 days like that in. And it depends on what you want to see when you are there ...

Transfers
    As a general rule, anything under 6 hrs I would take the train.

Flights sound good, and are cheap - but cheap ones are usually from the budget terminal which means getting to the airport (90mins from city) at least 3 hrs prior to flight, with nothing to do there as budget means BUDGET and then 1hr - 90 mins transfer at the other end as well ... its not pleasant.

Train stations are in the city, train ride is pleasant and you only have to be there 20 mins in advance. If you buy point to point tickets 3 months in advance (same as a flight) prices are cheap.

So ... my general rule is anything under 6 hrs I take the train. And buy early and buy first class if you have train changes as getting kids and luggage off isnt always super easy.

So - transfers
    Aus - Munich - flight. Should be good options as main hub
    Munich - Berlin - train (6hr 15)
    Berlin - Copenhagen - can do on train in 7 hrs with 1 change. would depend on price
    Copenhagen - Lapland - fly
    Lapland - Barcelona - fly
    Barclona - Lyon - train (5.5 hrs)
    Lyon - Paris - train (2hrs)
    Paris - Istanbul - fly
    Istanbul - Goreme - ???

with a family of 6 checking out, getting to transport, transport, checking in .. it takes the majority of a day to change hotel - longer if you are doing apartments.

Assuming all but the 2 hr Lyon-Paris transfer will take a full day ... out of your 44 days, you are spending at least 7 days seeing pretty much just airports and train stations.

Personally, I would reorganise, and try and arrange your destinations so that your changes are not so long. It does mean cutting one or two of those places and adding in places closer so that your movements make a bit more sense. So cut Spain and add more in Switz/Austria/Germany - or cut a bunch of it and do a lot more in Spain if that is what you want.

Going from Germany/Austria to Scandinavia to France to Spain to Istanbul is a lot of really big moves.

And idea maybe would be
    fly into Copenhagen
    4 nights Copenhagen
    4 nights Stockholm
    5 nights Lapland
    7 nights Paris
    2 nights Lyon
    5 nights Switzerland
    4 nights Salzburg
    5 nights Munich
    5 nights Prague

or from Switzerland go down into Italy and then up to Austria ...

basically keeping the transfers at trains except for to and from Lapland, and less than 5 hrs.

Travelling all day is NOT fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could I fly into Zurich and do 5 nights at Lucerne then onto Munich?

I really want to do Turkey on way home its a cannot miss otherwise doing all the other places would fit in fine without it.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mordygordy View Post
    Could I fly into Zurich and do 5 nights at Lucerne then onto Munich?

I really want to do Turkey on way home its a cannot miss otherwise doing all the other places would fit in fine without it.
    I think that's a great idea! I don't know that you'd need 5 nights at Lucerne although it is amazing.

And thinking about it some more, I think Barcelona is more of a warmer weather city and doesn't have quite the Christmas magic of the other places. I'm sooooo jealous and excited for you!!