+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Europe trip itinerary help

3. Love Switzerland, Germany & Austria. Esp in winter, beautiful snow capped peaks, can't ask for much more than that!

Lyon is beautiful! Amazing food. If you pick that itinerary, make sure you head to Brasserie George. Beautiful Art Deco brasserie and the food is ah-ma-zing!!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Trip 3. Munich had Christmas markets that are on my bucket list of you can be there before Christmas. But either way, Munich is gorgeous and so is Vienna. You could do a day trip to Neuschwanstein castle from munich. Kids would love it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Trip 3. Munich had Christmas markets that are on my bucket list of you can be there before Christmas. But either way, Munich is gorgeous and so is Vienna. You could do a day trip to Neuschwanstein castle from munich. Kids would love it.
    Yes agree! You couldn't miss Neuschwanstein Castle especially if it's snowing! It's like a fairy tale castle! Definitely worth the visit!

Can we swap places?? I want to go too 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I vote 3. I'm jealous! I spent a week skiing in Austria many years ago. It was absolutely stunning. I would definitely vote to go there. I have a photo of Salzburg at night in winter (as my inspiration to save money and go back) and it's just so darn pretty with the snow and twinkling lights. Munich Christmas markets as well as mentioned above. I've not been but one of my colleagues has a German husband and has mentioned them before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I vote 2. Trip 3 is too many stops! You'd spend a fair bit of time travelling between each place too. You'd just be packing and unpacking every third day.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Spotdog For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (23-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We backpacked around Europe for a couple of months and did a lot of stops. We struggle with just the two of us!

I'd go for trip 2. My fave places were Berlin and London.

I think too many of those stops just won't interest children that much. Especially the really young ones.

Have you thought of just doing a couple of places like Finland, Paris and London? You might cut on costs a bit too. Accomodation that time of year will be so expensive.

What an exciting trip!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I will be following as I'm also thinking of 5 weeks or so in Europe at the same time - base will be 2 weeks in the Netherlands and I thought Paris Disney but haven't thought much else - I might pinch some of your ideas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @mordygordy just as a guide my husband and I spent about $25k (maybe a few k less) in 2008 backpacking. We stayed in hostels, some with shared bathrooms.

No idea if places/airlines charge extra for kids, but considering Scandinavian countries and Finland are notoriously expensive you might want to budget a bit more if you do more stops and go for 6 weeks.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    trip 2 definitely. trip 1 is not quite enough stops. trip 3 way too many.

with 4 kids you will not want to be changing places every 2nd or 3rd day. Remember even if its a short train ride, changing hotels takes 1/2 day (pack, check out, get to train station, take train, get to new hotel, check in, unpack). Its eats into your holiday pretty quick if you are changing destinations.

From lots of those places you can do great day trips though, which are soooo much easier.

so pick a few destinations and do them well.

paris is fabulous to do a long stint. Lots to do. lots for kids, day trips galore if you are tired of stuff. Stay in an apartment (we stayed in a small apartment in St Germain and it was absolutely fabulous) So much more room - hotel rooms are tiny- and you can make your own food for breakfast, snacks etc.

we had 8 days in paris and it was perfect. did 1 day at disney (was old and tired), went to Palace of Versaille (amazing), day trip tp Moet & Chandon in champagne region, you can do a day trip to the Loure Valley (though thats a long day) or Chartes or Givenchy's gardens or quite a few other places pretty easily.

London same ... lots to do and lots of things that can be done as a day trip.

Finland is EXPENSIVE. and so is switzerland ... so allow a bit extra.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a cold winter here in Munich last year, snowed for weeks at a time. It is great fun, but it certainly adds lots of extra time and energy to your daily routine. It also makes the inner city not very enjoyable to be in, as there are no undercover areas except in shops when it sleets/snows.

With this in mind I would stay in fewest places, as luggage and snow don't mix well. Planes/trains/cars also slow down so your transit times will be more than normal.

I think I would focus on city stuff in London, Istanbul and Paris (all amazing!) and then pick some locations like Munich to hire a car and see the countryside. Munich and surrounds are breathtaking with the snow. Switzerland is also amazing, the train rides with panoramic windows in the winter time, worth every cent. An advantage of this is cheaper accommodation in the family run businesses out of the cities.

Best of luck with your planning, it will be a great trip!