+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    ^this

My initial thoughts were that it might be too disruptive for the kids.

And he's fifo...so why does it matter whether he has them weekends on not? Doesn't he have 19 days off or am I misunderstanding fifo?
    Children have school during the week

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (22-08-2015)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Children have school during the week
    Thanks...completely forgot about that! Not something I think about having only a toddler.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    ^this

My initial thoughts were that it might be too disruptive for the kids.

And he's fifo...so why does it matter whether he has them weekends on not? Doesn't he have 19 days off or am I misunderstanding fifo?

Eta. Oops forgot kids have school. Thanks babyno1onboard.
    He might like to attend family events on weekends?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (22-08-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    To my eyes if you were both happy with 50/50 then you should do 50/50 during the time you are both available to be carers which is 19 days, which is 9 days each however you want to break it up.

Should his circumstances change then you will renegotiate. I also agree there should be some weekend in there for him

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (22-08-2015),FrothyFrog  (22-08-2015),Nemmi1987  (22-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    I would talk to a child psychologist and see what they think the best arrangement would be for the kids.
    Actually I've changed my tune and agree with this!

My DP and his ex are in a similar situation with DP doing FIFO. The kids are older now but the youngest was almost 4 when he started coming to stay with us for long periods of time. Looking back on he situation (while DP and his ex were fine with it all) the 4 year old didn't really understand what was going on and I don't think he really understood that his parents had split up as he was used to his dad being away for long periods for work. He missed his mum. It wasn't really fair on the poor kid. The 6 year old coped much better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would opt for something that is least disruptive to the kids ie no swapping on school nights

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dotn have any experience with this but my first thought would be about disrupting the kids too much. Wouldnt only one change be better for the kids? As in rather backwards and forwards twice, just once?

I would be more inclined to let him have the first few days he gets home to himself, a big stretch with the kids then last last few days to himself before he goes back to work.

Why not just try it. If it doesnt work out you can always change it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be getting professional advice, it's a tricky situation. But I definitely feel that what he has suggested would be really hard on this kids.

I wouldn't really know what to suggest tbh.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (22-08-2015),PomPoms  (22-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a difficult situation.
    Id be seeking the input of professionals as to what would be the least disruptive for the children but still encourages their relationship with their father when he is home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I agree that it's a difficult situation. Because the kids are used to having their mother around most of the time, it would be hard for them to spend long periods of time away from you. Maybe you should try breaking up his time over his 19 days so, for example, 3 or 4 days with him and then 1 or 2 days with you? That way he can still have lots of time with the kids but they don't spend long stretches of time away from you. Maybe you could have an arrangement where he picks them up from school everyday as well and spends some time with them after school before they go to your place for dinner or something like that?

I know that he probably feels that he spends 21 days away from his kids and they should therefore be with him when he's here, but that's not always what is best for them. You need to find a way for them to spend time with him without feeling completely cut off from you because you're clearly their primary attachment figure.

I agree with others that speaking to a professional may help. Maybe you could both see a counsellor together to discuss what would work best for your children? You should also try mediation.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (22-08-2015)