+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Should Ashley Madison Cheaters be exposed?

I've made my point and I'm just going to agree to disagree on this one. Surprisingly for myself who is an atheist one of my strongest memories from my catholic school was the message of let he who has no sin cast the first stone.

I find sites like AM disgusting and dislike intensely what cheating and lying does to families. I don't agree with the public humiliation of the people who used this site and their families along with them.
    Last edited by Sonja; 22-08-2015 at 07:11.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (22-08-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (22-08-2015),harvs  (22-08-2015),HollyGolightly81  (22-08-2015),Lincolns mummy  (22-08-2015),MsViking  (22-08-2015),Pusheen The Cat  (22-08-2015),VicPark  (22-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Well, I was coming here to post links to articles about two more heavily religious people who bleat about morals all the flipping time that have been outed...but since my intention was to publicly shame them for their hypocrisy, I'll just move along now.

Maybe they shouldn't be exposed and the hackers were wrong but I also find it atrocious that people who want to campaign against gay marriage, spout off about Christian values and generally talk down to anyone who doesn't subscribe to their belief system have been using a website to cheat on their wives while doing so. The hypocrisy is just too much and I won't lie, I think it's good that they've been caught out.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (22-08-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (22-08-2015),munchkin275  (22-08-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Such an interesting thread.

I honestly don't think this is about cheating. Like almost everything else, I don't think cheating is black and white, and yes I've been a dirty cheater, so I do sometimes feel taken aback by the blanket level of moral outrage when people's individual circumstances aren't known. That's not to say I condone the site. I think it is/was remarkably cynical and exploitative.

There are all sorts of activities in the world that can be deemed immoral by others, even if they are legal. It doesn't warrant breaking the law and exposing other people and their identities. I don't think you can say 'it's illegal but it's ok in this instance because I don't approve of what that person did'.

I think it's far more abhorrent than infidelity to say 'hey I don't care if that person is murdered/commits suicide/becomes an alcoholic/is hounded out of their country/loses everything because they were on that website and deserve what they get.' Yuck.

Also, and not on this thread but on social media in general, I think it's really weird that people can be on the one hand saying hacking is wrong and illegal and then on the other relishing in gossip about who was on there. Can't have it both ways people!!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (22-08-2015),Moxy  (22-08-2015),Pusheen The Cat  (22-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

My issue, @harvs, is with the hypocrisy of some of the people being outed. These are people who have actively campaigned against the human rights of others on the basis of their religion while trashing their own belief system behind closed doors. That level of hypocrisy is what leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I feel like they, in particular, deserve everything coming their way.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (22-08-2015),turquoisecoast  (22-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Has anyone seen the stats on users from countries like Saudi where homosexuality is illegal and enforceable by the death penalty?
    The cheating/family issues aside, there are now people who have used this site to seek same sex relationships that are in genuine fear of their lives as the hackers exposure to them has now put them in mortal danger of prosecution. This is not ok.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoReady For This Useful Post:

harvs  (22-08-2015),HollyGolightly81  (22-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPhart6 View Post
    My issue, @harvs, is with the hypocrisy of some of the people being outed. These are people who have actively campaigned against the human rights of others on the basis of their religion while trashing their own belief system behind closed doors. That level of hypocrisy is what leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I feel like they, in particular, deserve everything coming their way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I've made my point and I'm just going to agree to disagree on this one. Surprisingly for myself who is an atheist one of my strongest memories from my catholic school was the message of let he who has no sin cast the first stone.

I find sites like AM disgusting and dislike intensely what cheating and lying does to families. I don't agree with the public humiliation of the people who used this site and their families along with them.
    See, I think I straddle both of these views. I won't lie, it gave me a sense of amusement and satisfaction to hear about the release of the data (which I feel a bit ashamed about but it was an initial honest reaction). At the same time I think about the social carnage being inflicted on all those families - partners and children - and I just feel so sad. Why did they have to also release credit card info too? Wouldn't names and emails be enough?

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

@iphart I do know what you mean. I'm just not really into lynch mobs and public humiliations, no matter what. And I think the more high profile people tend to get exposed for things over time anyway. And the people that follow the same belief systems are unlikely to change their views based on anything - just make more excuses.

Even when people are d1cks of the highest order and have a public voice, they still have family and children that may not be d1cks and will suffer.

But yeah, although there may be a certain schadenfreude with some names that come out, I still think it's illegal and has some implications that are upsetting to me.

I signed up to adult matchmaker once because of an essay I was doing in cultural studies and I wanted to look at profiles. It was the only way to do that. So in theory I am a member of that site even though I never went back there (it was a very scary place!). And I only just remembered that when reading this thread. Now if that site was hacked and leaked and came out while I was still married, that probably would have been the end of my marriage.

I just don't think it's as simple as 'well they shouldn't have been on there if they didn't want to get caught'.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (22-08-2015),VicPark  (23-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    See, I think I straddle both of these views. I won't lie, it gave me a sense of amusement and satisfaction to hear about the release of the data (which I feel a bit ashamed about but it was an initial honest reaction). At the same time I think about the social carnage being inflicted on all those families - partners and children - and I just feel so sad. Why did they have to also release credit card info too? Wouldn't names and emails be enough?
    Names and emails prove nothing. People would say "I signed up to look at the site but I never did anything". Credit card transactions prove they actively used the site and is what has forced people to publicly "confess" instead of lying about it.

What kills me is Anna Duggar will be pressured to be the dutiful wife. She won't/can't leave him because God will forgive him for his sins so why shouldn't she? Heck, it's probably partially "her fault" for not pleasing him enough on the bedroom! After all, it was her MIL who publicly said that women should "be available" when their husbands want s.ex.
    Last edited by Apple iPhart6; 22-08-2015 at 07:51.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (22-08-2015),MsViking  (22-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    dh and I were discussing that very point last night actually. there's probably a lot of otherwise happily married people who, for whatever reason, in a moment of weakness or in a dark patch of life or maybe on a whim with friends after a few drinks, signed up and created an account but never took it further than that. who, in the light of day, realised they have no real desire to pursue an affair and just left the account dormant.

I do truly feel bad for these people and their families.

I do also feel horrible for all the innocent bystanders this hacking will hurt ie the innocent husbands/wives and of course the poor kids.

what the hackers have done is not only illegal but morally pretty bad too. I guess hackers don't really care though.

I still think josh duggar is a sack of shiit and I'm deriving a sick sense of pleasure from his being exposed.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (22-08-2015),Moxy  (22-08-2015),Pusheen The Cat  (22-08-2015),VicPark  (23-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

@harvs, I assume you didn't pay anything to the site when you signed up, though.

You are right about it not actually changing people's minds. Like I said above, they'll ask God for forgiveness and problem solved. I mean, it's not like Josh Duggar did anything truly horrible like come out as being homosexual or anything!
    Last edited by Apple iPhart6; 22-08-2015 at 12:27.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (22-08-2015),HollyGolightly81  (22-08-2015),Moxy  (22-08-2015)