+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Isn't the purpose to encourage reading? They can dress up as a movie character anytime. I'm not having a go at you, just that sounds a bit odd.
    Agree!!! I hate that it's just a fancy dress parade for some places. DS's costume won't be the most exciting in the world, but for him, he gets to become his favourite BOOK character for the day! If people find the concept of dressing up as book characters too hard, they should think of other ways to celebrate than a dress up day. Save the 'whatever' dress ups for Halloween!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Isn't the purpose to encourage reading? They can dress up as a movie character anytime. I'm not having a go at you, just that sounds a bit odd.
    I think they are just making it easier, especially for those with younger children. Most children's movie/tv characters have books anyway! My son will be going as Spiderman. I'm not crafty & not willing to buy a costume that will never be worn again. Whenever there is a costume birthday party my son wants to go as Spiderman or Batman, not a book character.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    DD is going as Alice (of Wonderland variety) ... but she has in the past done Elsa (frozen) even though its not a book. She has also done a ballerina, an animal and a few others where we have just found a book with that in it.

I think it just encourages them to think about books and stories and imaginative writing. So any character is good.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (21-08-2015),HearMeRoar  (24-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1440133119.774439.jpg

Boys went as Captain Barnacles and Kwazi from Octonauts.
    I think the show came from the books, and we have several Octonauts books here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (21-08-2015)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mezzo View Post
    I think they are just making it easier, especially for those with younger children. Most children's movie/tv characters have books anyway! My son will be going as Spiderman. I'm not crafty & not willing to buy a costume that will never be worn again. Whenever there is a costume birthday party my son wants to go as Spiderman or Batman, not a book character.
    Spider-Man and Batman are most definitely book characters! The comics had been around well before any screen adaptations

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (22-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD1 & her bestie went as Thing 1 & Thing 2 from Dr Seuss they looked fabulous and loved it.
    Last year she went as Cat in The Hat

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Goldilocks...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had no idea childcare would do book week so I've been caught off guard. I've decided to send dd as the paper bag princess. Cutting holes in a large paper bag and popping a $2 crown on her head seems doable!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I wish DS1'S school did this. It makes me really sad that they don't

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Spider-Man and Batman are most definitely book characters! The comics had been around well before any screen adaptations
    Excellent. My 4 year old is going to go as either spiderman or as a pirate as those are the costumes we already have at home and I don't want to buy or make anything else right now. I'll let him choose from those 2 this year (he's only in Kindy/preschool) and get more creative next time.