+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Newborn, how long between feeds?

My ds is 7 days old. For the past 2 days he has been going 4 hrs between feeds and only waking for 1 feed over night. At the moment I have more than enough milk so my supply isn't an issue (I've been painfully engorged) but if he keeps going this way I'm worried I might not have enough milk for growth spurts or days when he's unsettled. My dd fed every 2-3 hrs as a new born and I never had supply issues. Should I express and freeze the milk or be waking him up? I've always thought never wake a sleeping baby, but now I'm not so sure.. Also he's a decent size baby and was back up to his birth weight by 5 days old. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If bub is feeding well and gaining weight I think you are doing fabulously. This is your second bub and your body knows what to do. When bub wants more milk, he will feed more and you will make more.

Just enjoy the sleeping now as it won't last.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (20-08-2015),M'LadyEm  (20-08-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (20-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would follow his lead. If he is bigger, he is obviously managing with fewer, probbably larger feeds, where a smaller baby typically might have smaller & more frequent feeds. So maybe your DD was drinking 100 ml every 2 hours, &he might bw drinking 200ml every 4 hours (just as an example),so still taking the same amount of milk. The very most I would do is maybe express once a day when he had his 'big' sleep, to have some EBM handy,but your body should adjust to growth spurts etc, so its not really neccesary. It sounds like you have a great,efficient feeder!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (20-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Exactly what @Rose&Aurelia said.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (20-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm just being a bit paranoid because I sent my mum out to buy bigger bras to accommodate my initial engorgement and now they feel too big. I should be counting my blessings that I have a good sleeper instead of finding things to worry about.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I found my breasts were nowhere near as engorged or as large the second time around. I suppose they grew initially with my first time bf'ing and also they were super good at knowing what to do the second time?
    But, just like you my second time breastfeeding was different to my first and it threw me a bit. But as has been suggested, just follow babies lead

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (20-08-2015),dollypops  (20-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with the others. If bubs is gaining weight (sounds like he is!), and doing enough wet and dirty nappies, you have nothing to worry about.

I had to feed DS 3 hourly on mw advice for the first couple of weeks, but he was very jaundiced and he did not wake up for feeds, at all. After he gained back his birth weight and his jaundice went away I fed on demand.

Enjoy the sleep and rest while you can, you're doing great

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (20-08-2015)