+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Mastitis how long do you give it pass on its own?

Yesterday afternoon I got a blocked duct and it got progressively worse overnight despite warm packs, pumping and feeding to clear it. My whole upper breast was so firm (one massive lump) I could barely hand express.

Lunchtime I felt it was getting better after feeding multiple times throughout the morning. The redness and lump has moved down towards the nipple and it is tender but mostly soft again. However I am starting to get the run down fluey symptoms and really notice when paracetamol/ibuprofen start to wear off.

How long should I give it to clear? I have no car with 2 little ones and hubby is working away until 8pm tonight. Tried calling aba but there line is busy. I have 20 and 6 month old both who I breastfeed. This is my 4 th case of mastitis but first since my youngest was 7 weeks old. No idea how or why it came on this time. And it's only the last few hours I've started feeling crappy. It's been about 24hrs since first noticing the blocked duct.

Ideas!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You poor thing - mastitis is horrible! I wouldn't leave it too long - can you get to a GP when your DH gets home? Or is there a home visiting doctor that can come out and at least give you a prescription (not sure if they carry actual meds to give you a first dose).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I'll have to do that.. Ill go up to ED when he is home cause It's getting worse was hoping to avoid antibiotics but I've done all I can just won't clear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon2be4 View Post
    I think I'll have to do that.. Ill go up to ED when he is home cause It's getting worse was hoping to avoid antibiotics but I've done all I can just won't clear.
    Call a home GP, there are quite a few who bulk bill, the sooner start antibiotics the quicker you'll feel well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would try to get to the docs asap. I've had it twice, the second time I left it hoping it would clear- tried everything you've said...well I ended up having to take penicillin anyway but it took so much longer to get back on my feet I think because I left it so long..

It sucks. Try and rest and get some meds asap x

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sucks but we are too rural for home visits and no after hours gps. I just called the hospy they said to come in when hubby gets home just have to wait! What a bugger.. What do people do without antibiotics!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP. Hope you've got some treatment, and you're on the road to feeling better. If you're still suffering, i don't know whether you've tried this, but I've heard that vibration can help clear blocked ducts, so something like an electric toothbrush or, ahem, anything else that you have that vibrates ☺ may help if you put it on the sore area. Hope you're doing better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As per JustJaq above, I used my DHs electric razor &held the handle of it (not the blade!) against the lump to massage it out. Hot packs and express the sh!t out of it. I also waited too long for ABs and got quite sick though, so I would get ABs as soon as youre able to. Hope you feel better soon, its the worst!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Hi OP. Hope you've got some treatment, and you're on the road to feeling better. If you're still suffering, i don't know whether you've tried this, but I've heard that vibration can help clear blocked ducts, so something like an electric toothbrush or, ahem, anything else that you have that vibrates ☺ may help if you put it on the sore area. Hope you're doing better soon.

Yep, I bought an electric toothbrush just for this purpose, and it seems to help. Certainly less painful than just trying to massage the lumps out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for everyone's replies.. Good to know about the toothbrush I have one so will give it a go if I ever get it again. Well I fed and fed like never before kept up the nurofen and it passed! I cannot believe it I had a warm shower and soaked it, hand expressed then fed both my toddler and Bub on the side again and Again and it finally cleared. Still a bit sensitive to touch but so happy I didn't need antibiotics. Pretty bummed as I was working hard over the last few months to cut my toddler back and after yesterday she has Been wanting it all day long

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (20-08-2015),Gentoo  (23-08-2015),JustJaq  (20-08-2015)