+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Vaccine's while sick

Hoping for some quick replies. DS3 has his 12m check up and vacc after lunch today but we've all been sick. Entire family has the flu and although DS3 is heaps better he still has a cough, the sniffles and his last temp was Monday. What's the go with vacc's while sick? I'm of the opinion that for a vaccine to work properly you need an immune system that is 100% but is that not the case for people?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've done part of the immunisation course and the recommendation is to only withhold a vaccination of there is a fever or the child is very unwell.

That said I know many GP's/nurses who wouldn't administer a vaccination if the child is at all unwell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our gp had us wait a week for DS's 12 month vaccines as he had croup. She said there was no harm in waiting and as the vaccine is a live one, and they are more likely to have the reactions associated, you dont want baby to feel worse than they already do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    Our gp had us wait a week for DS's 12 month vaccines as he had croup. She said there was no harm in waiting and as the vaccine is a live one, and they are more likely to have the reactions associated, you dont want baby to feel worse than they already do
    I'd rather wait - not only has he just had flu but he was in hospital with croup a fortnight ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Croup is nasty isn't it!? Poor baby!

It's ultimately your decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd wait. In fact, that's exactly what I'm doing now! DS is due for his 12mo shots, he's almost a month late now. In that month he's had 2 ear infections, a horrible cold with croup, and was hospitalized for 3 nights with rotavirus. He's only just recovered and I think he's getting another bloody cold. He gets croup every time he has a cold (13 times so far) and he gets sick easily so it's difficult to find a window for him to be vaccinated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd wait. My DS always feels yucky after his vaccinations so I wouldn't want to make him feel worse when he was already sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I waited. The nurse wasn't keen but they are live vacc's so I didn't want to take the chance. We'll go again in a fortnight.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Cue  (19-08-2015)