+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I read an article about Windows 10 doing automatic updates and chewing through lots of data. Do you have that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gamermummy View Post
    Patch is just a word to describe when a game updates. If they are playing big online games (such as most things through a program called 'st.eam' and a program called 'batt.le net) then some game updates can be a gig or 2 per game.

Have you downloaded any new programs lately? Things like itu.nes etc can auto update aswell.

Also, do you have auto app updates disabled on any phones or tablets connected to the wifi?
    No, no new programs. i tunes is set to manual updates, though I haven't used it for ages anyway.
    Good tip about the apps, I don't recall changing settings for those. It's only DS's phone, but he's got a lot of apps and games etc. Do I have to switch off auto updates in each one, or is it a general setting?

Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    I read an article about Windows 10 doing automatic updates and chewing through lots of data. Do you have that?
    No not Windows 10 but DS has Windows 8 which has auto updates as a default setting. I changed it last month because I'm pretty sure that's what happened last month.

Gah I'm just so annoyed. It's got to be DS's stuff though, I never had this problem before he got a phone and laptop! I would consistently use 2.5gb/month!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some apps can be big downloads themselves, depending on which phone he has a quick google search should tell you how to disable app updates. I know if my son turns of the wifi on my iPad that it chews my plan data up like crazy. Apps that load lots of photos or apps that show videos or ads will also use data.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gamermummy View Post
    Some apps can be big downloads themselves, depending on which phone he has a quick google search should tell you how to disable app updates. I know if my son turns of the wifi on my iPad that it chews my plan data up like crazy. Apps that load lots of photos or apps that show videos or ads will also use data.
    Oohh ok, thanks. I will check his phone settings.
    What about all the tiles on Windows 8? Are they an issue? I have turned off most of the live tiles, but there are still some.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If they are live internet tiles, they may use data but I wouldn't think that that would be a lot. If you can't disable the tile itself try changing how often it updates. So instead of every 10 minutes make it every day etc.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gamermummy For This Useful Post:

CMF  (19-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for posting the link above. I am not sure what is up with my internet too. I am supposed to be getting more of the services based on the plan I paid for.