+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tracking internet usage

Just wondering if there is a way of tracking how much data is being used and on what device? The last 2 months my wifi usage jumps up massively every so often, within a few hours. I just can't understand what is going on. I'm not very technological! Last month I *think* it was my son's computer automatically updating, so I went through and switched all that off, but it's just happened again! 35% of our month's data gone in the first day of the cycle.

I can log on to my provider and see a daily breakdown of data but I would love to know where the data is actually going?

Failing that, is there anywhere else that my data could be going? I turned off Windows updates on my son's computer, and my computer doesn't update (ever, no wonder it sucks lol). I don't connect my phone to my wifi, and my son's phone connects every so often when he's forgotten to turn the connection off from school.
    We don't do movies/music/Youtube due to only having a small plan.

I just survived 3.5 weeks of very minimal internet, I don't want to go through another 4 weeks!!

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Is your wifi locked?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Is your wifi locked?
    Umm I don't know? You have to put a password in when it connects to a new device, is that what you mean? But you don't have to put the password in every time, just the first time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think you can find out exactly where it's going but they may be able to tell you dates and times of use.

My suggestion until you get to the bottom of it would be to turn the modem off completely when you're not using it. Maybe keep a record of when you turn it on and use it and if you're provider can send you a break down you can compare it.

Do you have antivirus software on the computers?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by hopeful1986; 19-08-2015 at 15:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No matter your carrier, through an online account or some other means you should be able to get info on hourly usage. I can view ours online through iiNet, but it all depends on your carrier. Does your child play online games? They can patch at random times and use gigs of data at a time. If that is the case you may be able to manage it but I'll go further into that if needed. Downloads and uploads count towards usage, flash games on Facebook can use a fair chunk of Internet, as will any type of ********* through YouTube. As an indication, maybe take note of times when each family member sits and uses it for a considerable amount of time. That way when you do get a way to view your hourly usage you will be able to cross reference and narrow it down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also what size is your data plan?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauzy View Post

Do you have antivirus software on the computers?
    Yes. Norton I think on DS's and just AVG on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by gamermummy View Post
    No matter your carrier, through an online account or some other means you should be able to get info on hourly usage. I can view ours online through iiNet, but it all depends on your carrier. Does your child play online games? They can patch at random times and use gigs of data at a time. If that is the case you may be able to manage it but I'll go further into that if needed. Downloads and uploads count towards usage, flash games on Facebook can use a fair chunk of Internet, as will any type of ********* through YouTube. As an indication, maybe take note of times when each family member sits and uses it for a considerable amount of time. That way when you do get a way to view your hourly usage you will be able to cross reference and narrow it down.
    Hmm my provider says they only do daily usage.
    Sometimes my kids play online games, not huge amounts though because of our plan. It is only 8gb. I've only just increased it from 4gb! So I don't know how we can be possibly be powering through all this data all of a sudden. What do you mean when the games 'patch'?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Patch is just a word to describe when a game updates. If they are playing big online games (such as most things through a program called 'st.eam' and a program called 'batt.le net) then some game updates can be a gig or 2 per game.

Have you downloaded any new programs lately? Things like itu.nes etc can auto update aswell.

Also, do you have auto app updates disabled on any phones or tablets connected to the wifi?

Thanks
    Reviews