+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default when do you worry about weight in a 2 year old?

my youngest was born 4.29 kilos which at a glance put him somewhere around the 95%tile for weight?

over the last two years he has slowly but surely dropped down the charts, he now sits at 11 kilos (and has done since he was about 11 months old) which puts him in the 10th %tile for weight and age,

would you be concerned about this? who should you see if you are concerned? (health nurse? dr? we dont have a regular dr here, just see whoever)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You obviously are finding this concerning so I would take him to the dr's. You could go to a gp explain your concerns to them or ask for a referral.

I wouldn't be too concerned if he was healthy otherwise but I would ask the dr about their thoughts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default when do you worry about weight in a 2 year old?

If you are concerned then go to a doctor, your mchn or a paediatrician. They are qualified to make decisions about these things. Parental instincts are pretty much all we have! Millie is about 11kg at the moment as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If your child is otherwise well and you have no developmental concerns, he's likely fine. Having said that, if they cross 2 centile bands (either up or down) they should be checked out. The Dr will probably check to see if height and head circumference are on track, if these slow down it is a sign of malnutrition (which wouldn't mean you are doing anything wrong, there might just be an underlying issue causing him not to absorb the nutrients).

My DS was born 4kg so fairly up there on the chart, but dropped to the 10th percentile and eventually settled around the 25th. I have heard that birth weight is more heavily influenced by conditions in the womb whereas genetics play a greater role in the first few years of life. We worried a lot about his weight but we'd been through it with my DD too and she is a very healthy 4yo - just destined to be tall and slim!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (18-08-2015)