+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Husband in a very dark place *trigger warning* 😔

I don't want to go into too much detail until I know I know people here will understand...

DH has been depressed for about a year and started seeing a psychologist 5 weeks ago. Things looked to be improving. But then he self harmed. He's spoken to his psych about it and said he won't do it again but I noticed more cuts that he didn't admit to until I asked him about them.
    Has anyone else had a partner done this? I'm so heartbroken for him.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was on Zoloft before I found out I was pregnant but weaned off them with doctor's approval. I still see my psychologist as it feels good to talk about my issues. I've never physically hurt myself but I threatened it to my partner. The only thing that has stopped me is my love for my children. They are my reason for living. Then I get in my normal frame of mind and think , how could I possible do that to my kids....I think your hubby may need to go back to his GP as well as still see his psychologist. He needs help and even though you are doing your very best to support him, you sound like an amazing partner, he may still feel alone...Depression is hard, I know my partner doesn't understand me sometimes. I still struggle with negative thoughts daily. I don't believe my partner when he tells me I am beautiful or that he loves me. I went off the anti depressents because I wanted to give my baby the best start possible. As hard as it is for you, just do your best to stick by him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have had depression and more recently really BAD anxiety. I got recommended a course on Facebook of all things for anxiety and depression and decided to give it a go. It really helped me enormously , it's called Mindspot and it's free, you can do it in the privacy of your own home. Seriously best thing I ever did. Check it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, I have been in your shoes. Its god-awful. I am still walking this path with my now xDH...we have separated in the last 18mths (his call) mostly sue to his ongoing and chronic depression. My Dh had an extremely serious suicide attempt 12mths ago (was only found due to chance) and has ongoing suicidal thought. He has never self-harmed however.
    I think the one thing that is most important is to encourage him is to remain engaged with the professionals...if the meds don't work dicuss with the psychiatrist and have ongoing and intensive engagement with psychology. It's a very hard road, but having a supportive partner and family is critical. My xDH has isolated himself from the support networks to a large extent...it makes it so much harder.
    I'm not sure where you are but in WA there is an organisation called ARAFMI - its a support service for family and friends of people with mental illness - they have counselling if you find you are struggling. (I just looked - it is Aust wide). Suck up every resource you can find and use it. Living with mental illness can be a heavy burden to bear, andthere is no shame in getting help for yourself if you need it x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone, just knowing that others can relate helps. I'll be back to explain it more as soon as I've got time! x