+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with the rewards chart. Replacing the bottle with something he wants will make it a more positive experience than just refusing to give him his bottle.

Your poor DS having that surgery so young! Hope he recovered well and the surgery has made a difference.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

hoping28  (18-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hoping28 View Post
    We have been saying we will take the bottles to daycare for the babies, but when we try and pack them up he screams and kicks me....
    Reward chart might work too, will give that a go, then he can add to his avengers collection.
    See how the rewards chart goes - when my eldest was around 3 sticker charts worked really well.

Whatever strategy you implement it may come down to mum being stronger than toddler and putting up with some initial tantruming. That may be unavoidable - are you ok with that? If you have strategies in place to deal with tantruming in general it may be easier. A 3 year old needs to know it's not ok to hit and kick others.

If it were me I would go cold turkey - short term pain for long term gain. That's just me though. Another option may be to talk to your toddler again about the bottles going to the babies at daycare - over a period of a week. Then get rid of one bottle at a time - give a sticker for each bottle. Then when they are gone that's it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

hoping28  (18-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    I agree with the rewards chart. Replacing the bottle with something he wants will make it a more positive experience than just refusing to give him his bottle.

Your poor DS having that surgery so young! Hope he recovered well and the surgery has made a difference.
    It was the 2nd time for grommets and adenoids, he had the first surgery at 16 months but the grommets fell out within 8 months he recovered really well though which is great!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hoping28 For This Useful Post:

Cue  (18-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm anal about his sheets and bedding lol which is why he doesn't have it in a sippy cup, he would shake it and spill it everywhere just to watch me freak out
    Yes that's mega annoying. Maybe just the water in the bottles then. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We didn't have bottles, but we did have sippy cups of milk....
    We went cold turkey - we came back from a holiday and "the housesitter must have accidentally taken all of the sippy cups"...we threw them all out. In the beginning he would just have some warm milk in a cup before bed (cant take a cup to bed right? It will spill ), then we moved it to some milk with dinner...then changed to water. The transition was actually quite smooth, had a bit of carryon the first night, and a couple wake ups...I think i may have given some milk in a cup, but the payoff wasnt the same as laying in bed and sucking on milk, so it was just a couple times, then he lost interest... Within a week he had forgotten all about the milk...
    Once you have decided to do it..just ditch all the bottles...makes it much easier if you actually cant give them a bottle

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3yo Waking for Bottles

I'm anal about his sheets and bedding lol which is why he doesn't have it in a sippy cup, he would shake it and spill it everywhere just to watch me freak out
    What about a non spill straw water bottle - my DS has one in his bed at night - it's a tommee tippee one. They also have sip type ones.
    Last edited by wobbleyhorse; 18-08-2015 at 20:26.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    One thing I noticed from your post is that he only nibbles at his evening meal. Could you possibly drop the pre dinner snack and only give him a small cup of milk with his meal? I'm just wondering if he filled up a bit more in the evening then he might be less inclined to wake during the night for milk?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (19-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    One thing I noticed from your post is that he only nibbles at his evening meal. Could you possibly drop the pre dinner snack and only give him a small cup of milk with his meal? I'm just wondering if he filled up a bit more in the evening then he might be less inclined to wake during the night for milk?
    He's a serial nibler, although tonight he ate half a beef schnitzel!
    He had his bottle and straight to sleep, I'm going to go cold turkey next week. Going to try and talk to him about it then give him one last one on Sunday and then nothing! Dh is on nights again next week so he won't have to hear the tantrums.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoping28 For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (19-08-2015),VicPark  (19-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Took bottles to daycare this morning, told him no more now, made him a sugar free hot choc but he didn't even drink it! And 5 minutes after putting him to bed he is out to it with no tears 😆😆

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hoping28 For This Useful Post:

Cue  (19-08-2015),GirlsRock  (19-08-2015),misskittyfantastico  (19-08-2015),VicPark  (19-08-2015),wobbleyhorse  (19-08-2015)