+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Slow cooked roast

So I've always done my roast the traditional way but had people over for a roast on Saturday night and she was saying how she does hers in the slow cooker and how easy it was. Didn't think to ask for a recipe tho...

So, do you cook you roast in the slow cooker? What's your fave recipe? Either beef/lamb/chicken although we usually have beef or chicken due to budget and I prefer beef of the two.

Also she was saying she puts her veg in there to cook then pulls them out to crisp up in the oven but I can't find a recipe for this online.

I'm sure the slow cooker queen @LoveLivesHere would have a recipe if you didn't mind sharing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have a recipe ... I buy a half leg of lamb, marinate it over night and then put into the slow cooker in the morning. I add potatoes, pumpkin, carrot, zuccini, beans, (any vegetables that you prefer) and turn it on low to slow cook through out the day.
    I do add about a cup of water, some mixed herbs and I always give the pot a light spray with oil.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bumblebeez00 For This Useful Post:

shani2  (18-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We often do slow-roasts on Saturday nights, but not in the slow-cooker. My favourites are lamb shoulder or a big hunk of chuck steak. DH usually puts it on at lunchtime on Saturday, resting on a bed of onion, garlic, celery, carrot and lets it cook for 6 hours on around 100-120 degrees. He then takes it out, covers with foil and lets it sit for an hour or so. The meat falls apart and is still really succulent, not at all dry! It is gorgeous...and then he uses the veggies to make a gravy.

We do traditional roast veggies - pumpkin, sweet potato, potato - in the oven at 180 degrees once the lamb has come out. Or alternatively super crunchy twice-cooked potatoes (parboiled then roasted) with braised spinach, peas, leeks.

So, sorry, not a slow cooker recipe but still works a treat.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

shani2  (18-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat74 View Post
    We often do slow-roasts on Saturday nights, but not in the slow-cooker. My favourites are lamb shoulder or a big hunk of chuck steak. DH usually puts it on at lunchtime on Saturday, resting on a bed of onion, garlic, celery, carrot and lets it cook for 6 hours on around 100-120 degrees. He then takes it out, covers with foil and lets it sit for an hour or so. The meat falls apart and is still really succulent, not at all dry! It is gorgeous...and then he uses the veggies to make a gravy.

We do traditional roast veggies - pumpkin, sweet potato, potato - in the oven at 180 degrees once the lamb has come out. Or alternatively super crunchy twice-cooked potatoes (parboiled then roasted) with braised spinach, peas, leeks.

So, sorry, not a slow cooker recipe but still works a treat.
    Can you come to my house to cook for me! You're recipes always sound delicious!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Cat74  (18-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We usually cook our beef roasts in the slow cooker.

We simply put it in there and leave it on low for the day! Just add seasonings/flavour as you see fit. We don't bother adding water because liquid comes out the meat as it cooks, and we use this liquid to make gravy at the end.

Occasionally we've finished it off in the oven for 20 mins or so to attempt to make the outside a bit more 'roasted', but I've found this dried the meat out a bit so I don't bother any more.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

shani2  (18-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I do it same as the oven.
    Rub what ever herbs and spices I wanted/had chuck it in throw spuds, onions and carrots around it. Cook on low for 8 hours. Crispin up veggies in the oven for a few minutes

No added water. I let it cook in own juices.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

shani2  (19-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I tried slow-cooking a lamb roast last week. It. Was. Awesome.
    Popped a marinated roast in for 8hrs on low, on top of some potatoes. Put in a cup of beef stock & herbs.
    It was super tender & succulent. Yum. Used the stock as my gravy base too which worked a treat

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Izzys Dragon For This Useful Post:

Butterflybabe  (18-08-2015),shani2  (19-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    I do it same as the oven.
    Rub what ever herbs and spices I wanted/had chuck it in throw spuds, onions and carrots around it. Cook on low for 8 hours. Crispin up veggies in the oven for a few minutes

No added water. I let it cook in own juices.
    How long do you crisp up veg for and how hot? Also I normally do parsnip, sweet potato and pumpkin along with carrot and potato, do you think these would be ok in the slow cooker?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Pumpkin will turn to mash. Any softer veg will. So do it separately. I usually only 10 to 15 mins on a med to hot oven. Sometimes I will chuck a roast into for a crisper outside. Pork rind I take off the roast and do it in hot oven.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

shani2  (19-08-2015)