+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Poor responders, have you used testosterone gel for follicle growth?

In my last IVF cycle (for which I'm convinced i'm about to get a BFN) I had about 11 antral follicles but with stimulation ended up with 2 lead follicles and 3 eggs (one immature). I asked my FS what can be done to maximise the antral follicles that respond to the FSH and to prevent dominant follicles. Her suggestion was using transdermal testosterone for about 5 days prior to stims. She said there has been some success with this.

I'm looking for real life stories regarding the use of testosterone gel - can anyone tell me their story? Did it make any difference to your cycle? Did you have success? Or not? If I'm going to use it, I'll have to have a cycle off. If I'm not going to use it, I'll go straight into another cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    *PG mentioned**

Hi! It's such a frustrating journey! My first cycle was medium dosage.. 275. I think I was on puregon. I got one lead follicle so cycle was cancelled. I was so devastated. The next cycle he had me on 450 puregon at night and orgalutran in morning. And two follicles. We still went to egg retrieval and got both eggs which both fertilised and one put back in but bfn and other didn't freeze. That time I was also on melatonin during injections.
    My BFP came from my last cycle - I was a science experiment. 450 mix of gonal f and menopur at night and pregnyl in morning. With DHEA and melatonin from day 2 - 12. I was worried about the short time period of DHEA (as most girls seem to have three months of it) but my dr was adamant. Anyway I had 11 follicles (some left over from last cycle) ended up with 5 eggs, 5 fertilised perfectly (thanks to melatonin I believe) 2 returned and three successfully frozen. I'm also huge on acupuncture. DHEA seems to be the new magical pill so maybe explore that and making a cocktail out of your drugs! Good luck! Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pa I realise this wasn't about the gel but I didn't want you hanging. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for responding Ky. I've never heard of that approach before. I've been on a cocktail of stuff for a long time, including DHEA and melatonin. Anyway, I got a confirmed BFN today and i spoke to my FS and she didn't seem to think using testosterone would necessarily give me any better result than doing a third cycle in a row, so i'm going straight into another cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck! Like my FS said each cycle will be different your body may respond better. I did say pregnyl in hhc morning

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck! Like my FS said each cycle will be different your body may respond better. I did say pregnyl in thr morning I meant orgalutran and pregnyl to trigger. I say just keep mixing it up! Good luck again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Egg View Post
    In my last IVF cycle (for which I'm convinced i'm about to get a BFN) I had about 11 antral follicles but with stimulation ended up with 2 lead follicles and 3 eggs (one immature). I asked my FS what can be done to maximise the antral follicles that respond to the FSH and to prevent dominant follicles. Her suggestion was using transdermal testosterone for about 5 days prior to stims. She said there has been some success with this.

I'm looking for real life stories regarding the use of testosterone gel - can anyone tell me their story? Did it make any difference to your cycle? Did you have success? Or not? If I'm going to use it, I'll have to have a cycle off. If I'm not going to use it, I'll go straight into another cycle.
    Hi Golden Egg

My FS had me on testosterone gel for the 2 weeks before my period started (I am on about day 6 of injections).

I feel like it is actually making a difference as all my levels are exactly where they should be.
    Due to our consistent B grade embryos, which they feel is an egg issue, my FS wanted to use the gel and a higher dose of gonal-f. I am actually excited for EPU and to see how they all go.

I don't have any extended advice I can give you except that everything seems to be working better than it has in any of my other 4 cycles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks jeb. That's very interesting. Good luck with your cycle. Please keep me posted on how you go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bumping this old thread. I have been recommended testosterone gel and melatonin too. Are any of you ladies able to update me about how you went with these? Hope you've had some luck!