+ Reply to Thread
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Kitchen

What is your preference in a kitchen: a more expansive where things are more spread out, or a kitchen that is not compact meaning things are more at hand.

My kitchen now has a relatively big footprint given the size of our house, and it is an eat in kitchen, benches and cabinets in an L shape but it is very hotch potch and with the table it it can be quite a squeeze. I am toying with the idea of looking at a U shaped kitchen which would use less of the floor space, have as much cupboard space and maybe a little more bench space but it would be much smaller, definitely not room for 2. In this configuration the kitchen table would be on the outside of the U.

I would like to hear different perspectives because I just don't know which works best. I have only lived in 2 houses my whole life so I haven't worked in many different styles of kitchen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For me, the kitchen is the hub of the house. I like plenty of bench space, room for people to gather (breakfast bench style), and lots of storage. It has to be practical and integrate well with adjoining rooms/space. Unfortunately my current kitchen doesn't have any of these things!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bench space. Lots and lots of bench space!! But really, it all depends on how you like to work. My kitchen bench is L shaped. Has a little dogleg off the long bit on an angle with the hot plate, then a small bit of bench which is too small to be usable for anything but collecting junk, then the double sink and the short bit at the top which is where I do my prep, serving etc.

On the other side is a wall with the fridge, oven, wood oven and a cupboard with the microwave. I would love more bench space, more power points and a slightly bigger area. If the kids or husband come in, they annoy me as get in the way!

What I do love about my kitchen is the big WIP. Would definitely recommend that!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Bench space. Lots and lots of bench space!! But really, it all depends on how you like to work. My kitchen bench is L shaped. Has a little dogleg off the long bit on an angle with the hot plate, then a small bit of bench which is too small to be usable for anything but collecting junk, then the double sink and the short bit at the top which is where I do my prep, serving etc.

On the other side is a wall with the fridge, oven, wood oven and a cupboard with the microwave. I would love more bench space, more power points and a slightly bigger area. If the kids or husband come in, they annoy me as get in the way!

What I do love about my kitchen is the big WIP. Would definitely recommend that!
    Oh, a WIP or butlers pantry is a dream for a different house.... Or if we extended this house. Until about 5 years ago I didn't even have a pantry, so it was a luxury to have some tall, open shelves put in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Kitchen

I loooooove my current kitchen, it's nothing fancy but it's just such a wonderful space. It has a WIP and a wide island bench, lots of cupboard space and a 90cm gas stove & oven. It's airy, faces the living area do I'm not isolated from everyone and is just s happy, light airy space.

It's totally made me love cooking.

My dream kitchen would be similar but would have a butlers pantry and Miele appliances. Although I love the 90cm oven id choose 2 x 60cm ovens instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Oh, a WIP or butlers pantry is a dream for a different house.... Or if we extended this house. Until about 5 years ago I didn't even have a pantry, so it was a luxury to have some tall, open shelves put in.
    I will find it very hard to go back to a cupboard if we ever leave here! Our last place just had the one double door cupboard as a pantry and it was painful. Could never find anything, couldn't do big shops etc.

Now I have heaps of room, the toaster, kettle, coffee machine etc is in there as well and it's a great place to hide from the kids