+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ladybug14 View Post
    Great thread! I'm glad I'm not the only one going mad with sleep issues. My little man turns into this unrecognizable crying mess the moment we step foot into a dark room for sleep! He's 12 weeks and I'm lucky if I can get 2hrs daytime sleep out of him for the entire day-despite hours of trying!

I use the Love to Dream swaddles and have just given him a free hand to suck to help him to self settle (he's just found his hand lately and loves it) but he's still got a bit of the startle reflex. So it's a win/lose solution. Any suggestions?

Has anyone done a consult with babysleepsite? Any feedback?

Hope we're all in for some sleep tonight!
    I would probably keep one arm in and try and find another breathable comforter (eg a teddy cloth one) to help bub self settle. Keep it close by bub at every sleep regardless of whether it is is a cot, pram, rocker etc. Only use it at sleep time. Startle reflexs can disappear between 4-6 months so you may have a couple of months still where bub is woken by the reflex - last thing you want is for bub to get in a habit of waking/not sleeping as that may hang around long after the startle reflex goes. Comforters can help bub settle anywhere anytime - they can be awesome when they work.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

ladybug14  (20-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ladybug I just recently got Jack out of his swaddle as he hated it!! He was in an ergo cocoon and I accidentally left the arms popped open one night and he got an arm out and slept so well that night! Then I just left that one arm out for a few nights then he just got really annoyed and wanted the other one out so I popped the popper on the sleeve and let him get his other one out. Now he just goes in the cocoon with arms out or a sleeping bag. Startle isn't seeming to bother him.

I too am thinking of the sleep plan, I called and have the details but am just holding off a little longer.

For anyone who has had cow milk intolerance did you little one thrash At night feeding? In the night feeds Jack wriggles and kicks and seems so uncomfortable, kinda like he is still a newborn!!! Then the poor thing is thrashing about even in his bed straining etc!??? Thought this would have calmed by 12 weeks.

Ladybug I feel your pain with the naps and with them crying as soon as they know it's nap time!! Today I had small successes with Jack, 2 naps Where he settled easy....friken amazing. Slept for 2 hours one of them and 45 minute the other. But then his 3rd was crap as he seemed to her overtired abs I got another 5 min nap Grrr then I extended if for another 15.... But that's just no good. Seemed his up time was 1 hour 20 to 1 hour 30 but that's after a good nap after a crap nap it's about 1 hour. But my bub is so hard to read.

I think you should give the sleep consultant a try. I know I will be shortly....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicsta83 For This Useful Post:

ladybug14  (21-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    @Nicsta83, yes these were key signs with both my CMPI kids. Is Jack on any meds?

Silent reflux is still somewhat mid understood in the medical world. With DD I was told she would outgrow her 'unsettledness' as you describe, but time went on and she didn't outgrow it. She was screaming in pain all the time and no one took me seriously. By the time we got on meds and soy formula it was too late sleep wise we had already created bad habits (yes I believe this is possible). She was around 16-18 weeks when the meds etc started. So she was much happier and not screaming, but we had a ways to go with her sleep and a few weeks after that I contacted the baby sleep site.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is on losec but only started this week (think we are day 5). The confusing thing is he doesn't scream he is just so so wriggly and kicking and arching and occasional scream. He just isn't able to settle down easily....it's like everytime his bowels have to work he is not happy about it and he has been doing poo at night a lot. All his symptoms do point to allergy, but I have a feeling maybe it's mild?! Else surely he would scream more?

I agree we have to do what we have to do to get him to sleep as he seems In pain but I know that is creating bad habits.

I don't know I go between thinking I'm crazy to going nope there is so something up! At 12 weeks he shouldn't still have 'colic' as in he seems like he still has an immature gut as they call it just as they do when a newborn. I think maybe it settled for 1 week and now it's back .....

I think I should start the allepro formula as a start........thoughts??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:

Default Helping your child sleep better

What are his poos like? I would go into the reflux infants support association website and look for their GP checklist. It lists all the silent reflux symptoms. Babies don't need to show all of them, but if bub shows a lot of them it's a good indication it's silent reflux.

Losec can take a week to be effective as the meds build up in their systems.

It can't hurt to give Aller pro a try - I'd be looking for green frothy or slimey poos as an indication of CMPI first. If his poos are normal, the losec once built up in his system could sort all of those problems without having to use the Aller pro.

And sorry when I say creating bad habits, I don't say it like it's a bad thing. It's a very good thing that when babies are in that '4th trimester' that you do what works - no matter what that is, I just think it can turn into a sleep issue later on if you would prefer to have bub on a schedule for example. So I say creating bad habits in a sleep training sense, not in a 'it's bad parenting to created habits' IYKWIM.
    Last edited by A-Squared; 21-08-2015 at 10:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    What are his poos like? I would go into the reflux infants support association website and look for their GP checklist. It lists all the silent reflux symptoms. Babies don't need to show all of them, but if bub shows a lot of them it's a good indication it's silent reflux.

Losec can take a week to be effective as the meds build up in their systems.

It can't hurt to give Aller pro a try - I'd be looking for green frothy or slimey poos as an indication of CMPI first. If his poos are normal, the losec once built up in his system could sort all of those problems without having to use the Aller pro.

And sorry when I say creating bad habits, I don't say it like it's a bad thing. It's a very good thing that when babies are in that '4th trimester' that you do what works - no matter what that is, I just think it can turn into a sleep issue later on if you would prefer to have bub on a schedule for example. So I say creating bad habits in a sleep training sense, not in a 'it's bad parenting to created habits' IYKWIM.
    His poo has recently changed in last week (before starting losec so don't think that's the issue). He used to go once a day now he goes about 4 times a day and always at night! Poos are a bit slime like now and I have seen a few mucus like ones. Some are really runny and explosive and some are just kinda normal. I'll give it till next wed (13 weeks) and that's 10 days on losec.

I know exactly what you mean about bad habits ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps for the advice ladies. Just had the first no tears nap time ever!! The hand and finger sucking is definitely staying!!! I've just used a stretchy blanket to tuck his arm back down so it doesn't fling up straight away if he wakes but he can still get at it. @VicPark, I've been trying to introduce a comforter that I keep by during feeds and in the basinet. Hadn't thought to take with us for all nap time place so will definitely do that. Hoping that as he starts to grab and become more interested in toys he shows more interest in that than his fingers. Just hoping this nap is longer than his new 25min sleep cycle....thanks Wonder Week 3!!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladybug14 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-08-2015),VicPark  (21-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Thanks heaps for the advice ladies. Just had the first no tears nap time ever!! The hand and finger sucking is definitely staying!!! I've just used a stretchy blanket to tuck his arm back down so it doesn't fling up straight away if he wakes but he can still get at it. @VicPark, I've been trying to introduce a comforter that I keep by during feeds and in the basinet. Hadn't thought to take with us for all nap time place so will definitely do that. Hoping that as he starts to grab and become more interested in toys he shows more interest in that than his fingers. Just hoping this nap is longer than his new 25min sleep cycle....thanks Wonder Week 3!!!
    Well done! 🎉🎊👑

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

ladybug14  (21-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    Don't feel bad about the pram. I bought a fancy Stokke cot, kitted it out with the expensive breathing monitor; and every night Bub sleeps in a creaky $40 second hand Moses basket. I know it's days are numbered but I'm going to use it till he absolutely doesn't fit. Do what works!

I used the pram in the early days until I found the basket fit by my bed better.
    Bahaha don't worry I am the same I spent heaps on a gro time cot because it had diamonds 😝 and my daughter sleeps on the floor 😳 on a camp bed!! Bloody kids!!!

I took DS to a kiensologist today. My spelling is terrible I know! He's told us he needs vitamin b and magnesium. Meh I'll give anything a shot at this stage. He said his body is in over drive and all these other fancy words. I'm so tired I can't function. He's drinking 1.7 litres milk over night and he's completely talking at 17months. so when he wakes up 'mummy my bottle' screams at me. Last few nights j have given water. Great job girls

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Woo!!! How long did he sleep?