+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Try keeping the room light on while you sing the song. If absolutely necessary put bub in the cot before bub falls asleep and finish the song while bub is in the cot (that would be better than transferring bub after bub has fallen asleep).

Bub falling asleep even for 30 seconds *can*, to some extent 're-start' bubs sleep clock. So bub might not be ready for a sleep for another 10-20 mins or for my 18 month old if he falls asleep for 2 mins in the car there is no point me trying to put him to bed when we get home - we have to wait about 2 hours. Yes, after a 2 min nap!

Always try to have bub in the place of sleep (cot or pram) when bub is at the droopy eye/about to nod off phase. Transferring to a secondary location after bub has already nodded off (even for a few seconds) can be a recipe for wakings .
    (Learned trough trial and error here!)

Good luck!
    Thanks 😀 im still persisting with pram as I still can't face the cot as the last 4 week of trying it were so miserable! And in trying to be consistent as I can. Someone else asked about why the pram....

1. It's easy to rock
    2. He doesn't automatically scream when goes in
    3, he can't look at me & dark
    4. It's portable
    5. I can tend to my toddler easier as not locked in a room

I'm just using it until we get some type of routine then I'll go to cot.

So last 2 nights are interesting

2 nights ago

Gave Panadol at bed

Feed at 715 Asleep at 8pm (rocked)
    Woke at 130 fed
    Put back in cot at 2 he put himself back to sleep at 230 I watched monitor
    Awake at 545 fed and put back in cot
    Put self back to sleep by 630.
    Awake at 815 for the day!

That was a good night!

Last night

Fed at 715, asleep at 8 (rocked)
    Awake at 11 unsettled
    Fed but wasn't very hungry didn't take a lot, put back in cot and he screamed, had to rock. Out of room by 12
    Awake at 3, hungry this time
    Put back in cot after feed and screamed had to rock, asleep by 4
    Awake at 6 crying, put self back bit awake again at 620. Had to go hold him till 740 but he was wriggly and not settled who time in my arms.

So my thoughts are it's not a self settling thing just yet, I feel it's something bothering him, he seems so uncomfortable!!!! His poo legs were kicking when I was feeding him and he was arching and it was awful.

Naps on both days were similar. The general pattern is this

Nap 1 45 mins in pram won't resettle
    Nap 2 2-3 hours in pram but needs resettling every 45 mins
    Nap 3 normally on the go in capsule or arms and it's 30 mins
    Nap 4 in ergo while I make dinner and anywhere from 30 mins to 1 hour.

He is 12 weeks today, but 2.5 weeks early if that makes a difference (according to wonder weeks app 😉)

We are on day 4 or losec but I think we really need to change formula but I'll give losec a week or so before doing that and call Pead. My Pead did say colic can go on for 4 months but God I'm over it acdcthd reflux sucks always waking him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and all the time when he self settles it's without the dummy! He seems to only need dummy when overtired, he is rejecting it more and more (yay)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to keep posting so first nap just failed! He slept for 10 mins and won't resettle. So I'm getting him up as Like you said Vic park sometimes that's enough for them to think they had a nap! This often happens for this first nap. I put him down before his eyes closed, but he was drowsy. He was quiet and happy to be in pram and went to sleep within 5 minutes. He had been up 50 mins when i started settling and 1 hour after waking when in pram, was Aslwep by about 1 hour 10 awake time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default Helping your child sleep better

Quote Originally Posted by Nicsta83 View Post
    Sorry to keep posting so first nap just failed! He slept for 10 mins and won't resettle. So I'm getting him up as Like you said Vic park sometimes that's enough for them to think they had a nap! This often happens for this first nap. I put him down before his eyes closed, but he was drowsy. He was quiet and happy to be in pram and went to sleep within 5 minutes. He had been up 50 mins when i started settling and 1 hour after waking when in pram, was Aslwep by about 1 hour 10 awake time.
    Don't feel bad about the pram. I bought a fancy Stokke cot, kitted it out with the expensive breathing monitor; and every night Bub sleeps in a creaky $40 second hand Moses basket. I know it's days are numbered but I'm going to use it till he absolutely doesn't fit. Do what works!

I used the pram in the early days until I found the basket fit by my bed better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicsta83 View Post
    Dont feel bad it took me a good half an hour to get my little one to sleep this morning. I tried shoushing, patting and in the end rocked him to sleep in the rocking chair. I anticipate he will wake soon as he catnaps throughout the day. Its hard work and your doing the best you can

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Helping your child sleep better

My first suggestion would be a consistent awake time. 7 is usually a good ace to start, or 7:30. I stick to 7:30 as it means his routine is a 7:30 to 7:30 routine so we can put DD (3.5) down at her usual 7:00 bed time the. DS down at 7:30.

So wake at the same time and out down after the same interval. I'm not sure at 12 weeks what that should be, but by 16 weeks I had DS awake for 2 hours and it worked really well for us.

Also where you put him down is always different so this might be confusing him. Especially if sometimes you want him to sleep I. The pram and others it might just be to go to the shops or because his afternoon nap is in the carrier.

If you need to use these different places for sleep, then I'd recommend having a pre sleep routine. So a top up feed (if that's what you do), then burp, wrap, sing a song, give comforter then put down where ever you need, so whether that be the pram, basinet, cot, carrier, he knows it's sleep time as you're setting the scene in the exact same way each time.

If he's on losec for silent reflux, it's very possible he's intolerant to dairy. What formula is he on?

Hang in there, you're doing a great job - it does get easier, I find though if you're not ready to change things up just yet, do what works until the 4 month sleep regression happens as you're likely to go through it all again once it hits.

Google too Jo Ryan - baby bliss. She's about flexible routines until 3-4 months then she moves on to more structured routines am gentle settling from then on in.
    Last edited by A-Squared; 19-08-2015 at 10:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I do have a mini wind down routine, In wrap and song. I have to use those other places as I need to pick up toddler from childcare some days or we have activities and pram settling still takes ages so I'm trying one step at a time.

I feel he has a milk intolerance and that's what the silent reflux is about but Pead wants to wait till 16 weeks! I'm gonna wait till 13 and see where we are.

I am a very structured routine kinda person and was to the letter with DD and God have i tried with him but it's so tough with the toddler and the fact he doesn't settle easy and wakes after 10 mins a lot! I'm so persistent that from 2 weeks I spend about 4 hours a night in a dark room as i wouldn't budge on letting him be awake even tho he was clearly day night confused. Those were horrible nights, he would just fight me for 2-3 hours after a feed abs then be up again an hour later. Took 9.5 weeks of that **** for him to actually sleep at night abs go back after a feed, friken exhausting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    They keep us on our toes don't they!?

That's so odd the paed said to wait until 16 weeks. Did they offer to do a stool sample? They can test their poo and if there's any blood cells found in there it's evidence if an intolerance. I suppose they just wanted to wait and see if he outgrew the reflux with age as opposed to dairy causing it. Funny how different paeds can be. Mine diagnosed ours straight away in both cases and out them on a high dose of reflux meds right from the start.

My DS is sick AGAIN! He's had a temperature and was waking heaps the last few nights. Originally teeth, but now he's not well again. He was awake from 4 until 6:30, so I'm letting him sleep til when ever he wakes and play it by ear today. So another day stuck inside! I've not been to work all week after we all had gastro from Saturday.

Problem with gastro is when they have reflux (or had in DSs case) gastro can bring it back so the poor thing wakes with a sore tummy and acidic burps I guess it's best he gets these sicknesses all out the way now. But I just can't see him sleeping through until he starts feeling better for a few weeks at a time. He self settles when he's well, but will still wake once for a feed - I can cope with once, but not this every 2 hours business he's been doing lately!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great thread! I'm glad I'm not the only one going mad with sleep issues. My little man turns into this unrecognizable crying mess the moment we step foot into a dark room for sleep! He's 12 weeks and I'm lucky if I can get 2hrs daytime sleep out of him for the entire day-despite hours of trying!

I use the Love to Dream swaddles and have just given him a free hand to suck to help him to self settle (he's just found his hand lately and loves it) but he's still got a bit of the startle reflex. So it's a win/lose solution. Any suggestions?

Has anyone done a consult with babysleepsite? Any feedback?

Hope we're all in for some sleep tonight!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I would continue with the one arm out as it won't be long before the startle reflex disappears.

I used the baby sleep site for DD and they solved her sleep issues in a at that didn't involve crying. They were awesome! Can't recommend their personalised sleep plan enough.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

ladybug14  (20-08-2015)