+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by torn13 View Post
    @A-Squared is lactose intolerance. Ds2 has explosive watery poos and lots of wind. I have abn oversupply of milk so bubs intenstines cant handle all the lactose in the breast milk. Adding to this i am lactose intolerant as well. Pead said to try lacteeze which are tsblrts given before bf but he said they are hit and miss so bubs would probably end up on lf formula. We are trying the lacteeze as well as block feeding but its pretty hard to manage
    I've been having the same issue. My bub is 8 weeks now and is just horrendous. Today I've been thinking of trying him on formula just to see what happens as I can't see that he can get any worse. I do block feeding, try to stretch out feeds so he takes more fatty milk, expressing prior to feeding and cutting out dairy. Nothing has helped. I think maybe I just produce too much foremilk as often when he's finished feeding and has some milk in his mouth it looks really watery. As much as I would like to continue bf I feel like I'm at breaking point with the constant crying and squealing and if formula made a difference I would change over.
    Would you have to give hydrolysed formula or is normal formula ok for lactose intolerance?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @nh2489 ped said have to try lactose free formula as the intestines probably couldnt handel normal formula at this stage due to the issues. I was really upset when the ped said bubs would prob end up on formula as i was hoping to bf for longer. My DH sat me down and said we will try the lacteeze in bf but its not the end of the world if he ends up on formula as we have to do what is best for bubs.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to torn13 For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (19-08-2015),nh2489  (18-08-2015),VicPark  (19-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And back on topic I am hoping that in the end bubs will sleep better 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    I've been having the same issue. My bub is 8 weeks now and is just horrendous. Today I've been thinking of trying him on formula just to see what happens as I can't see that he can get any worse. I do block feeding, try to stretch out feeds so he takes more fatty milk, expressing prior to feeding and cutting out dairy. Nothing has helped. I think maybe I just produce too much foremilk as often when he's finished feeding and has some milk in his mouth it looks really watery. As much as I would like to continue bf I feel like I'm at breaking point with the constant crying and squealing and if formula made a difference I would change over.
    Would you have to give hydrolysed formula or is normal formula ok for lactose intolerance?
    It could be silent reflux, both mine had that too. Has your GP or paed mentioned that at all? Is the crying after all feeds, or mainly the colic crying?

And feeding issues are linked to poor sleep when intolerances and reflux are involved. So it's all on topic still

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (18-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicsta83 View Post
    Thanks for the tips 😊 I think I'll stop encouraging the dummy as at times he hates it anyway!

Today the little bugger was so difficult as always for his first nap. Put him in his wrap and sung him a song in my arms which he proceeded to get very drowsy to and began to fall asleep so I popped him in the pram and bing wide eyes! I rocked him, fell asleep, 3 mins later awake, rock again asleep within a few mins then bing awake. This continued for a bit, then I think by 40 mins of this I got a 10 min stretch and then a 20 min and then he was up!

Ah the joys
    Try keeping the room light on while you sing the song. If absolutely necessary put bub in the cot before bub falls asleep and finish the song while bub is in the cot (that would be better than transferring bub after bub has fallen asleep).

Bub falling asleep even for 30 seconds *can*, to some extent 're-start' bubs sleep clock. So bub might not be ready for a sleep for another 10-20 mins or for my 18 month old if he falls asleep for 2 mins in the car there is no point me trying to put him to bed when we get home - we have to wait about 2 hours. Yes, after a 2 min nap!

Always try to have bub in the place of sleep (cot or pram) when bub is at the droopy eye/about to nod off phase. Transferring to a secondary location after bub has already nodded off (even for a few seconds) can be a recipe for wakings .
    (Learned trough trial and error here!)

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I have an unsettled bub as well today and am doing anything I can to get him to sleep. He is almost 7 weeks so know how you feel. Poor bubs had his injections yesterday as well as Peadeatrician check up who said he has lactose intolerance😯. Trying everything I can to keep him breadtfeed but pead said probably going to have to put him on formula. Anyone else had experience in this area? I know its not exactly on topic.
    No direct experience here.
    Have you seen a lactation consultant? Preferably one who is a GP? Pediatricians are great but from what I've seen breastfeeding isn't their forte!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    @nh2489 ped said have to try lactose free formula as the intestines probably couldnt handel normal formula at this stage due to the issues. I was really upset when the ped said bubs would prob end up on formula as i was hoping to bf for longer. My DH sat me down and said we will try the lacteeze in bf but its not the end of the world if he ends up on formula as we have to do what is best for bubs.
    Absolutely. You have to make whatever decision is best for bubs and yourself.

When my now preschooler weaned himself just before 2 I was a tad upset. Wanted to make the 2 year mark and kept trying to feed. Then DS was getting upset and I thought "what the f am I doing? This can't be in the best interests of DS." Then I started looking at it from a more business and non-emotive angle. I started to become proud that DS was having his milk from a big boy cup.
    - by the time ds2 weaned himself I was much more ok with it.

You can still do an awesome job with feeding your bub if he is on the bottle. You have to put effort into finding the right bottles and teats, predict when bub will need a feed, pack supplies etc - bubs still needs mumma and there is still opportunity for mumma to excel

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

torn13  (19-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    Hang in there, you're doing a great job.

Things might just get a bit easier and turn a corner in a couple of weeks, very little babies are just in such a new environment that it can be very hard no matter what you do. When they get a little bigger and their tummies grow, they can hold a bit more milk and they might settle a bit longer.

I wanted to suggest you try (if you haven't already) calling the Tresillian parent helpline - it's free, and sometimes it's easier to get advice in a two way phone conversation than online.

Also, joining a local mothers group and seeking help from an early childhood nurse was very helpful for me so I recommend that.

Finally, @VicPark makes a good suggestion above where she said she sat and watched her baby to find out what was waking them - I also found it useful to sort of treat things like an experiment and try to make a mental note of the babies patterns and maximise those.

Good luck.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (19-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for the advice. It's a bit off topic so I won't say too much here but I've been referred to tresilian by my local early childhood centre as I've not been coping too well with the colic. I thought I was getting more relaxed about the feeding and had given up expressing and just feeding more on demand with block feeding but things just don't seem to be improving.
    Thankfully the sleeping is not too much of an issue yet. Just seems to be a typical newborn, feeding every 2-3 hours and being unsettled from about 3am. The last few days weve managed to avoid bringing him into bed until at least 6am so I'll give it a few more months before trying any training.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just wanted to offer hugs and support. My first baby was really mellow and rarely yelled or cried and this guy screams quite a bit - I sometimes find it hard not to have a visceral reaction to all-out screaming in your face. I now understand how hard it is for some mums and why they reach breaking point. You're doing a great job, even if it feels like you're not getting anywhere. Xoxo

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (19-08-2015),nh2489  (19-08-2015),torn13  (19-08-2015)