+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Helping your child sleep better

Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    So after reading on here from a couple of people that 2 hours is quite a long time for a 12 week old to be awake, my 8 week ds2 was awake for 5 hours straight today! Feel totally destroyed right now and know I'm probably going to have the night from hell as he's squirming and moving constantly. I know I'm creating bad habits by not trying to allow baby to self settle but right now I'm doing anything to get him to sleep!!
    Hugs. Please don't feel that way. 12 weeks is still very young. If you have days like that, resort to what works for a night or two. DS had plenty of days every now and then when he would be awake that much. Even on a routine bubs don't always stick to them each and every time.

How often is he waking in the night when you feed him or rock him to sleep?
    Last edited by A-Squared; 17-08-2015 at 21:23.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    So after reading on here from a couple of people that 2 hours is quite a long time for a 12 week old to be awake, my 8 week ds2 was awake for 5 hours straight today! Feel totally destroyed right now and know I'm probably going to have the night from hell as he's squirming and moving constantly. I know I'm creating bad habits by not trying to allow baby to self settle but right now I'm doing anything to get him to sleep!!
    At 8 weeks old it's a case of do what you have to do! Don't worry about bad habits yet. 5 hours awake time isn't awesome but it's doesn't even make the list of most schizen things mums do - I once cut my bubs finger with the nail clippers by mistake. Now that's a real failing!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Hugs. Please don't feel that way. 12 weeks is still very young. ?
    Nh's bub is still a tiny 8 weeks. Poor thing is still in the 4th trimester...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Oops! Yeah that's young!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks guys. I think I just was so physically broken as I have to carry him in a carrier all the time especially in the evenings as he has colic and was trying to bath and out ds1 to bed with screaming baby in the carrier. Just been losing my temper so easily today which I feel really guilty about but I know it's just tiredness. Praying things improve in a few weeks.
    He's not too bad at nights, we've had a few good nights where he sleeps well between 3 hourly feeds until about 3-4am then he's quite unsettled but will go back to sleep with dummy. As much as I know it's a pain having to put dummy back in every 10 mins or so I find it really helps when he's colicking. Oh the joy of newborns!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Helping your child sleep better

Double post.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't worry I fought very very hard to get my 12 week old to take a 30 min nap this morning. Started settling after 1 hour awake and he wasn't down until 2 hours awake! This happens almost every morning! Sounds crazy but I'm gonna try 2 hours awake. These bubs make it tough. Hope your night goes ok!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicsta83 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. I think I just was so physically broken as I have to carry him in a carrier all the time especially in the evenings as he has colic and was trying to bath and out ds1 to bed with screaming baby in the carrier. Just been losing my temper so easily today which I feel really guilty about but I know it's just tiredness. Praying things improve in a few weeks.
    He's not too bad at nights, we've had a few good nights where he sleeps well between 3 hourly feeds until about 3-4am then he's quite unsettled but will go back to sleep with dummy. As much as I know it's a pain having to put dummy back in every 10 mins or so I find it really helps when he's colicking. Oh the joy of newborns!!
    Ah I'm so with you, it's tough! Dam colic!!!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicsta83 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Hey @Nicsta83

First of all I haven't had a reflux/colicky bub so if have no specific advice in that regard. Apart from raising part of the cot which I read years ago somewhere so please take the rest of what I say with a grain of salt/in conjunction with whatever medical advice you have already been given.

My first thought it you're doing well - there's no shame in using a pram to encourage bub to sleep more than one cycle.

At 12 weeks I am a believer in doing what you can to set a good environment for sleep (room temp, bedding, use a comforter, no aiding to sleep). However if bub wakes after a few minutes/one cycle do whatever you can to get a second cycle in (pram/rock/pat). It's only at 18 weeks-ish that I would stop aiding bub to complete that second cycle.

The more you can ensure bubs sleep environment stays the same from just before they nod off until when you want them to wake, the more you increase the chances of a sleep through. If bub stirs at any point (eg between sleep cycles) and something has changed (eg patting has stopped, dummy has fallen out) bub will wake and think "what the! Where has my boob/dummy/music gone?." That's why many parents have a cloth comforter for bub and avoid using an aid that requires human intervention to maintain (boob/dummy etc).

If I was in your shoes (minus the reflux because I don't know what that's like) I would ditch the dummy. You will hear different opinions on here however I am a firm believer that in most cases they increase the chance of waking after one cycle/waking at night. I remember when my first was about 8? weeks I used a dummy to settle but he would wake after a few minutes. I hid in the corner of the room and watched him. He would be relaxed and close to dozing off. Then the dummy spelling would jolt him awake. After a couple of times I thought "stuff that - I'm not spending the next 6 months or so putting a dummy back in."

If there is a choice between 1)letting bub fall asleep in your arms and then placing bub in a cot and 2) placing bub in a cot and then shush/patting to sleep I would chose option 2 as the change in environment is less of a shock to bub when bub stirs.
    Thanks for the tips 😊 I think I'll stop encouraging the dummy as at times he hates it anyway!

Today the little bugger was so difficult as always for his first nap. Put him in his wrap and sung him a song in my arms which he proceeded to get very drowsy to and began to fall asleep so I popped him in the pram and bing wide eyes! I rocked him, fell asleep, 3 mins later awake, rock again asleep within a few mins then bing awake. This continued for a bit, then I think by 40 mins of this I got a 10 min stretch and then a 20 min and then he was up!

Ah the joys

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicsta83 View Post
    Thanks for the tips 😊 I think I'll stop encouraging the dummy as at times he hates it anyway!

Today the little bugger was so difficult as always for his first nap. Put him in his wrap and sung him a song in my arms which he proceeded to get very drowsy to and began to fall asleep so I popped him in the pram and bing wide eyes! I rocked him, fell asleep, 3 mins later awake, rock again asleep within a few mins then bing awake. This continued for a bit, then I think by 40 mins of this I got a 10 min stretch and then a 20 min and then he was up!

Ah the joys
    Seems he's getting too drowsy. Are you putting him in the pram because you're going for a walk or does he sleep better upright?

I would maybe try putting him down first and singing to him while he's already laying down and you can keep your hand on his tummy or perhaps stroke his hair or his cheek and get him to sleep that way. Then you don't have to do the transfer.
    If you're putting bub in the pram to go for a walk does he fall asleep in the pram?