+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I found this awesome article about techniques parents can try to implement to help their bub sleep through.

http://m.raisingchildren.net.au/arti...p_pattern.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I found this awesome article about techniques parents can try to implement to help their bub sleep through.

http://m.raisingchildren.net.au/arti...p_pattern.html
    For me the key take-away from this article: (assuming poor bub doesn't have any medical conditions) it *can* be within your power to help a bub sleep better at night - however persistence and consistency is the key. It can take weeks to end a habit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    How does everyone go when bubs is sick, do you stick pretty much to your regular routine or completely play it by ear?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    How does everyone go when bubs is sick, do you stick pretty much to your regular routine or completely play it by ear?
    For me, I forget routine when she's sick as I know if she's been awake all night, she's going to want to sleep earlier. Also, they're sometimes more lethargic when they're sick so need more rest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I'm finding that with my 2 at the moment. They both started childcare 2 months ago and have both been sick on and off and sleep so much more in the day. Night times DS is awake more but DD still generally sleeps through.

Gastro here at the moment and DD would normally only EVER sleep in her bed, but here she is with Daddy.....ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1439781182.858663.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not sure what is going on at my place either, my DD(4) never has a sleep during the day, but just lay down on the floor, covered herself in some bubble wrap she found outside and fell asleepImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1439785323.039065.jpg

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-08-2015),VicPark  (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Hey @Nicsta83

First of all I haven't had a reflux/colicky bub so if have no specific advice in that regard. Apart from raising part of the cot which I read years ago somewhere so please take the rest of what I say with a grain of salt/in conjunction with whatever medical advice you have already been given.

My first thought it you're doing well - there's no shame in using a pram to encourage bub to sleep more than one cycle.

At 12 weeks I am a believer in doing what you can to set a good environment for sleep (room temp, bedding, use a comforter, no aiding to sleep). However if bub wakes after a few minutes/one cycle do whatever you can to get a second cycle in (pram/rock/pat). It's only at 18 weeks-ish that I would stop aiding bub to complete that second cycle.

The more you can ensure bubs sleep environment stays the same from just before they nod off until when you want them to wake, the more you increase the chances of a sleep through. If bub stirs at any point (eg between sleep cycles) and something has changed (eg patting has stopped, dummy has fallen out) bub will wake and think "what the! Where has my boob/dummy/music gone?." That's why many parents have a cloth comforter for bub and avoid using an aid that requires human intervention to maintain (boob/dummy etc).

If I was in your shoes (minus the reflux because I don't know what that's like) I would ditch the dummy. You will hear different opinions on here however I am a firm believer that in most cases they increase the chance of waking after one cycle/waking at night. I remember when my first was about 8? weeks I used a dummy to settle but he would wake after a few minutes. I hid in the corner of the room and watched him. He would be relaxed and close to dozing off. Then the dummy spelling would jolt him awake. After a couple of times I thought "stuff that - I'm not spending the next 6 months or so putting a dummy back in."

If there is a choice between 1)letting bub fall asleep in your arms and then placing bub in a cot and 2) placing bub in a cot and then shush/patting to sleep I would chose option 2 as the change in environment is less of a shock to bub when bub stirs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Shush/pat technique: putting bub to bed drowsy but not asleep

Here are some informal notes on a technique I learned at my local clinic. I found the technique really great with my second bub - really was gentle in helping him while at the same time reducing the risk of bub becoming reliant on me to fall asleep.

In a dark, quiet room with a well fed bub:
    1. Start shushing, place one hand on bub and with the other hand pat the mattress above bubs head.
    2. After a couple of minutes take your hand off bub. Continue shushing/patting the mattress above bubs head.
    3 After a couple of minutes stop patting the mattress but continue shushing.
    4. After a couple of minutes sneak towards the door, continuing to shush.
    5. Stop shushing and leave.

If at any point bub starts to get worked up go back to the previous step, then move forward again after a few minutes of bub being calm.

It may take a few steps forward/a few steps back but stick with it and be consistent.

Hope this helps someone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Play it by ear and vary things depending on the illness. Eg when bub nr 1 had hand foot and mouth I fed him whenever. When bub woke a few nights the other month (teeth) I tried to resettle and if that didn't work fed. One night he was extra upset so I used the shush/pat technique (as long as he doesn't make a habit of it once in a blue moon doesn't hurt).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So after reading on here from a couple of people that 2 hours is quite a long time for a 12 week old to be awake, my 8 week ds2 was awake for 5 hours straight today! Feel totally destroyed right now and know I'm probably going to have the night from hell as he's squirming and moving constantly. I know I'm creating bad habits by not trying to allow baby to self settle but right now I'm doing anything to get him to sleep!!