+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hmm, ok then. My first bub was a great night sleeper but I was clueless about how much sleep he actually needed and he got very overtired during the day. With this one I thought I was more on top of it, the 2ish hours has been a gradual stretching out from an hour or so when he was new. I looked at one site with sample routines and it had 2 hours waking time but it is possible that he just needs naps sooner.

He does have white noise in his room but we have an open plan house so sound really travels. I feed to sleep and put him in his cot asleep which I know aren't helping him to connect his cycles on his own. I'm sending ds1 to daycare this week to focus on meeting ds2's needs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That site suggests 1hr 15min and 2 hours tops. Good to know! Thanks ladies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any tips for the 'put them down drowsy but not asleep' bit? I literally just put DS in his cot almost asleep but as soon as he realised what was happening he woke up fully and started crying immediately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I love love love the baby sleep site! They're so full of information. They they recognise that all babies and families are different and that it's about finding what works for your baby and a method that feels right to the parents (sometimes that's hard as what might work for the baby might be uncomfortable for the parent for example).

I highly recommend their personalised sleep plans. They're inexpensive and they involve a thorough questionnaire where you describe your child's routine (or lack thereof) your parenting style, the baby's personality, the environmental and lifestyle factors (where they sleep, if there are other kids with routines or school runs etc).

They have nurses and paediatricians, lactation consultant etc so they're so well qualified to help.

They helped DD immensely! I haven't used them with DS as he's a good napper and pretty good a night for the most part and he has had a few feeding and weight gain issues so I think he wakes out of hunger, especially as he self settles so he can fall asleep on his own, so I think it's his hunger keeping him awake.

DD learnt to self settle but took a few months until she no longer needed feeds over night and DS is now self settling too so hopefully him sleeping through isn't too far away.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (16-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Helping your child sleep better

Quote Originally Posted by BettyW View Post
    Hmm, ok then. My first bub was a great night sleeper but I was clueless about how much sleep he actually needed and he got very overtired during the day. With this one I thought I was more on top of it, the 2ish hours has been a gradual stretching out from an hour or so when he was new. I looked at one site with sample routines and it had 2 hours waking time but it is possible that he just needs naps sooner.

He does have white noise in his room but we have an open plan house so sound really travels. I feed to sleep and put him in his cot asleep which I know aren't helping him to connect his cycles on his own. I'm sending ds1 to daycare this week to focus on meeting ds2's needs.
    It may not be the 2 hour thing causing cat-napping especially if your bub is ok the big side. It could possibly be cold (many parents underestimate the amount of bedding needed). My guess is the feeding to sleep and putting bub in the cot already asleep are possibly the key causes (if bub is aided to sleep and that aid is not there during the sleep cycle changeover bub can wake and think "what the - where is my boob/dummy/music". Same thing is bub is placed in a different place after falling asleep - it's a big "what the" when they stir.

Is bub wrapped? Hunger could also be a factor - my bub started to catnap during the day around that mark and it didn't resolve until solids were started.

Good idea sending ds1 to daycare. It was a saviour for me in the first 3 months.
    Last edited by VicPark; 16-08-2015 at 19:47.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-08-2015),BettyW  (16-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's wrapped in an Ergopouch and has an oil heater. I'm fairly pedantic about temperature so I don't think it's that. He snacks as well as naps throughout the day so it could be hunger or habit or both. The overtiredness makes sense though, it's difficult to meet their needs immediately with an active toddler running around!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-08-2015),HollyGolightly81  (16-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Any tips for the 'put them down drowsy but not asleep' bit? I literally just put DS in his cot almost asleep but as soon as he realised what was happening he woke up fully and started crying immediately.
    You may be getting him a little too drowsy. With my DS I give him a top up feed with the lights on then burp him whole it hold him upright for a couple of minutes. I out on some sleepy music from a dumbo toy he has and it lasts another minute, so I put him down once he's relaxed in my arms after a burp and he drifts off.

I think though that drowsy but awake only works if you have a strong lead up routine as bub knows what's coming next as they're used to being out down. If they aren't used to the pattern that's when they're likely to kick off when you out them down.

I'm generalising of course! It's not eh case for every bub. Have you got a pre-sleep and pre-nap ritual?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (16-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    He's wrapped in an Ergopouch and has an oil heater. I'm fairly pedantic about temperature so I don't think it's that. He snacks as well as naps throughout the day so it could be hunger or habit or both. The overtiredness makes sense though, it's difficult to meet their needs immediately with an active toddler running around!
    What is your feeding schedule like? Maybe stretching out feeds (slowly and where possible of course), so bub will take bigger feeds will help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ok my second bub is not really a great sleeper...opinions would be great.

He is 12 weeks on wed and he was day night confused until 9.5 weeks, so literally has only just started sleeping more at night.

Because if his colic and day night confusion our lack of routine was crazy, it was just get through! The only thing I did was bath every night at around the same time and during hours of 8pm-7am lights off so tried not interacting, keeping it dark etc to teach day/night.

DD Suffers from reflux which is still not quite under control and I have a toddler so don't have as much time to devote to sleep training, but doesn't mean I won't find a way or try my best as I don't want to just accept that he is a bad sleeper.

Nights we bath at 6 bottle at 6:30 and try to have settled by 7, but almost always is 730. We are rocking to sleep as a few weeks ago spent a week sleep training and it was hopeless so we are just giving it another week. He has self settled at night many times, but not many in last 2 weeks.

He then wakes between 12-2 for a feed and then again 4 hours later. He goes back easily after the feeds. Gets up around 7am.

But daytime sucks. We have no routine! I can't get him in his basinett, omg have I tried, I spent so long in that room friken patting and shhhhing but it's so tough with my toddler. I'll get him to sleep in basinett and then he wakes 5 minutes later abs then I resettle and it happens again and then i resettle and then finally he sleeps 20 Mins, in total im in there about an hour and it sucks.

He will fall asleep in my arms but a lot of the time he will do the 5 minute wakes even in my arms!?! What's with it!! Could be an overtired thing I don't know! He does a lot of back swallow stuff which wakes him and normally after being asleep for 5 mins he just startles awake. I try to start settling after 1 hour awake, I've tried 45 mins, I've tried 1 hour 15 etc, nothing is consistent it's so frustrating.

Anyone else had a napper who wakes 5 mins into the nap??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I should add as im going nuts in that room with the basinett im now using the pram. I'm being very consistent with it, when it's nap time I pick him up put him in his wrap, say it's nap time and sing a song, he begins to close his eyes in my arms and snuggle in, before he is asleep I put him in his pram which he hates as he want to sleep on me, I then put lid on pram with a cover over So it's dark and I rock the pram, takes a bit but he goes to sleep, then normally wakes after 5 mins and I resettle, then he wakes again after 5 mins and I resettle abs then sleeps 20 mins so same as basinett but it's easier to be in pram with my toddler. He has a dummy even he spits out and I think that wakes him, but after the second 5 min wake he spits it out and doesn't care....as in I don't put it back and I don't put it back for subsequent sleep cycles as in the pram I just keep rocking it when he wakes and he sleeps sometimes up to 3 hours. I know the rocking isn't ideal but it's the best I can do right now and in my eyes it's better than my arms..... I don't really know what advice I want, I'm just frustrated 😁