+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 152
  1. #141
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,864
    Thanks
    5,071
    Thanked
    4,449
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried this method. I was really hoping it would work for us. Unfortunately, as soon as I stop patting, his little head pops up off the mattress and he looks at me like he thinks this means play time.

    I hope you have some luck with your bub. Sleep deprivation is terrible.
    Have you set up a little pre-sleep ritual? If you do this and continue what you're doing, bub will eventually get it. But I recommend to start with if bub is still quite young, keep patting until he is fully asleep. He's probably too young to get to drowsy but awake and still sleep. But he will soon start to associate your little ritual and the patting with falling asleep.

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,257
    Thanks
    1,065
    Thanked
    812
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Have you set up a little pre-sleep ritual? If you do this and continue what you're doing, bub will eventually get it. But I recommend to start with if bub is still quite young, keep patting until he is fully asleep. He's probably too young to get to drowsy but awake and still sleep. But he will soon start to associate your little ritual and the patting with falling asleep.
    Yes. We have both a nap and nighttime routine. He's 9.5 months, so not that young. I kept trying it for 2 weeks, so thought it should have worked semi reliably after that time frame.

  3. #143
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    Yes. We have both a nap and nighttime routine. He's 9.5 months, so not that young. I kept trying it for 2 weeks, so thought it should have worked semi reliably after that time frame.
    Wowsers. That sounds really terrible. You must be so tired (and emotional)! I went to the Nurture centre at North West Hospital in Brisbane when DD was 10 months old. They didnt do CC or CIO. I think they called it responsive settling where they teach you how to calm your bubba so that they settle to sleep. Staff were very patient. Let me go at my own pace. Shes slept around 12 hours per night ever since. I found it helped when someone who knew what they were doing would say its time to calm her or shes ok...... Would this be an option for you??

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to luv For This Useful Post:

    Tiny Dancer  (10-09-2015)

  5. #144
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,213
    Thanks
    3,646
    Thanked
    3,457
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

    Default Helping your child sleep better

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried this method. I was really hoping it would work for us. Unfortunately, as soon as I stop patting, his little head pops up off the mattress and he looks at me like he thinks this means play time.

    I hope you have some luck with your bub. Sleep deprivation is terrible.
    I found that shoosh/pat never worked for DS, I tried for weeks! He would just look at me like 'wtf are you doing lady?' I swear it actually over-stimulated him rather than soothed him. Resting my hand on him saw more success, if anything worked.

    I do remember him going through a phase around 9/10 months of waking every 90 mins, I genuinely thought he was never going to sleep but he's actually pretty fab now requiring no help from me (18 months) so there is hope!

    Once he self-weaned his sleeping gradually got better but after he mastered walking it went to practically perfect (knock on wood!). He's definitely a sleep begets sleep child and mastering his naps helped with night sleeping as he's restless and sleeps worse if he's overtired, so I found doing what I could to get him to sleep well for naps helped, even if it meant lying with him and napping myself, plus working our the formula of how long for each nap. Currently letting him sleep as long as he needs for his nap means better sleeping overnight.

    I feel for you, I remember how hard it was when he was waking like that!
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 10-09-2015 at 06:48.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

    Tiny Dancer  (10-09-2015)

  7. #145
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,257
    Thanks
    1,065
    Thanked
    812
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @luv - we did go to the equivalent where we live when he was 6 months. At that point, once he was asleep he'd only wake once. The problem was getting him to sleep. I'll have to get the materials out and read them again, and make DH follow it exactly. I think part of the problem was that I taught DH, but he put his own spin on it. It was confusing DS, so I started doing what DH was doing. Maybe he will be more receptive to the techniques now. Question re responsive settling - if he is just lying in the cot chatting and doesn't go to sleep, do I just get him up again without a nap? How long do I wait to try again. Thanks for reminding me
    @HollyGolightly81 - patting is currently the only thing that works for him. I did get to the point where I was lightly resting my hand on him. DH helped put him to sleep one weekend and decided patting was faster... and that was the end of that. Thank you so much for the hope! I'm struggling today after 3 nights with about 3 hours sleep. Having a light at the end of the tunnel makes it easier. I have found the same thing re: naps - he gets 2 naps of 1.5 hours a day now. He won't sleep any longer, and I've started having to resettle half way through his nap, too.

    He's currently got 2 teeth cutting, I can see 2 more not far behind, he's just started to show signs of a cold, and entered a wonder week. I think it's going to get worse before it gets better.

  8. #146
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,864
    Thanks
    5,071
    Thanked
    4,449
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    @luv - we did go to the equivalent where we live when he was 6 months. At that point, once he was asleep he'd only wake once. The problem was getting him to sleep. I'll have to get the materials out and read them again, and make DH follow it exactly. I think part of the problem was that I taught DH, but he put his own spin on it. It was confusing DS, so I started doing what DH was doing. Maybe he will be more receptive to the techniques now. Question re responsive settling - if he is just lying in the cot chatting and doesn't go to sleep, do I just get him up again without a nap? How long do I wait to try again. Thanks for reminding me
    @HollyGolightly81 - patting is currently the only thing that works for him. I did get to the point where I was lightly resting my hand on him. DH helped put him to sleep one weekend and decided patting was faster... and that was the end of that. Thank you so much for the hope! I'm struggling today after 3 nights with about 3 hours sleep. Having a light at the end of the tunnel makes it easier. I have found the same thing re: naps - he gets 2 naps of 1.5 hours a day now. He won't sleep any longer, and I've started having to resettle half way through his nap, too.

    He's currently got 2 teeth cutting, I can see 2 more not far behind, he's just started to show signs of a cold, and entered a wonder week. I think it's going to get worse before it gets better.
    I'm feeling you! DS is 11.5 months and is teething, snotty, 1 day off a wonder week and waking a lot. I manage to get 3-4 nights in a row where he wakes just once for a feed and straight back to sleep, but right now / usually I'm up 3-5 times a night.

    My DD who I thought was a bad sleeper as a baby was sleeping through at 10 months. DS is a whole other story.

    At least he's teething quickly so should have most of his teeth by 18 months.

    Holly your story gives me hope whenever I read it.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

    Tiny Dancer  (10-09-2015),torn13  (10-09-2015)

  10. #147
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1
    Reviews
    0

    Default Consistency

    Consistency is the key for sure. So make sure everyone is doing the same thing. I think you're supposed to look for tired signs before you put them back in the cot 😃

  11. #148
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,257
    Thanks
    1,065
    Thanked
    812
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luv View Post
    Consistency is the key for sure. So make sure everyone is doing the same thing. I think you're supposed to look for tired signs before you put them back in the cot 😃

    Thanks! He usually yawns and rubs his eyes as soon as I get him up if he hasn't slept. Might wait til the ones after that.
    Will discuss with DH, maybe even write it down for him, and see how we go... hopefully we can make it work. We'll work on it after the cold is gone and teeth are through, I think. The poor little love is struggling.

  12. #149
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,213
    Thanks
    3,646
    Thanked
    3,457
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    @luv - we did go to the equivalent where we live when he was 6 months. At that point, once he was asleep he'd only wake once. The problem was getting him to sleep. I'll have to get the materials out and read them again, and make DH follow it exactly. I think part of the problem was that I taught DH, but he put his own spin on it. It was confusing DS, so I started doing what DH was doing. Maybe he will be more receptive to the techniques now. Question re responsive settling - if he is just lying in the cot chatting and doesn't go to sleep, do I just get him up again without a nap? How long do I wait to try again. Thanks for reminding me
    @HollyGolightly81 - patting is currently the only thing that works for him. I did get to the point where I was lightly resting my hand on him. DH helped put him to sleep one weekend and decided patting was faster... and that was the end of that. Thank you so much for the hope! I'm struggling today after 3 nights with about 3 hours sleep. Having a light at the end of the tunnel makes it easier. I have found the same thing re: naps - he gets 2 naps of 1.5 hours a day now. He won't sleep any longer, and I've started having to resettle half way through his nap, too.

    He's currently got 2 teeth cutting, I can see 2 more not far behind, he's just started to show signs of a cold, and entered a wonder week. I think it's going to get worse before it gets better.
    How long is he chatting before you get him up? Would he stop chatting and actually fall asleep if you 'interfered' (patting, lie with him, etc)?

    Sorry, I totally misunderstood your post and thought you meant you'd been trying patting for a couple weeks and it wasn't working ☺️.

    My DS is definitely a child where teething and wonder weeks really affected him. For his teeth, only nuerofen works overnight and elevating his cot (a book under each leg at the top) helps relieve the pressure. Also helps with congestion if you haven't tried already.

    We're currently at our last tooth cutting (before the 2 year molars at least) and I'm looking forward to a break from these efffing teeth!

    There is definitely hope though girls, he loves having a nap and doesn't need me to lie with him at all anymore, sleeps 2.5-3 hours! Same with bedtime, loves going to bed and sleeping until 6.30-7 once I figured out that letting him wake on his own at naptime (rather than waking him after 2hrs) meant he stopped waking at 5am!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

    Tiny Dancer  (10-09-2015)

  14. #150
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,864
    Thanks
    5,071
    Thanked
    4,449
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

    Default Helping your child sleep better

    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post

    There is definitely hope though girls, he loves having a nap and doesn't need me to lie with him at all anymore, sleeps 2.5-3 hours! Same with bedtime, loves going to bed and sleeping until 6.30-7 once I figured out that letting him wake on his own at naptime (rather than waking him after 2hrs) meant he stopped waking at 5am!
    Yay so the 5am wakings are no more!?

    Our naps are great (at home at least Child care is another story). He falls asleep on his own at night too but he's waking because of teeth and constipation/digestive issues. Doesn't help that he's a boobie monster and needs the comfort of feeding to get him back to sleep in the middle of the night.
    Last edited by A-Squared; 10-09-2015 at 16:16.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Not every child will sleep
    By Sonja in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 212
    Last Post: 16-08-2015, 07:56
  2. Helping ASD children with sleep problems
    By asdsleepstudy in forum Research Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21-07-2015, 12:14
  3. Child sleep on nine news
    By Mamasupial in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 19-02-2015, 23:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Babybee Prams
Save $50 in our pre-Christmas sale! All Comet's now only $500. Our bassinet & stroller set includes free shipping AUS wide, $75 free accessories, 18-months warranty & a 9 month free return policy. Check out our new designer range today!
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
Be In Blossom
We offer physiotherapy run pregnancy Pilates, pregnancy Aerobics, and Mummy Pilates & Baby Massage classes with a focus on optimising posture, body awareness, pelvic floor support, back care and maintaining fitness, aiming to assist women prepare and recover from their birth.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!