+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I occasionally hear him call out, but not often. But he very well could wake more often but I only ever hear him when he's actually crying.

My paed has recommended letting him CIO to wean him, but I'm not up for that just yet.

Well it's 9:30 and he's crying out already - 2 hours after he put himself to sleep. Sooooo jack sh!t of this!!!!!
    Yea I understand ☺️ CIO sucks!

Tonight Jack has been awake every 2 hours, needing either a feed or resettle, now he isn't going back to sleep its 4am

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm thinking my ds2 is too young at 10 weeks to do much sleep training but he's driving me nuts! During the day he just fights sleep so much to the point where he just cries hysterically while I hold him tightly and eventually he gets worn out and falls asleep. But I can't then move or put him down as he will wake instantly. It means he's getting short 10-30 min naps during the day and it seems like such an ordeal getting him to sleep.
    There is no way he will fall to sleep in his own. If I put him down just to do something such as get dressed, change ds1 nappy etc then he becomes inconsolable within a few minutes. It's the same with the pushchair, I don't really bother trying to put him in anymore and just carry him everywhere. The only place he will happily fall asleep without a fight in it the carrier but only when we are out (I've tried in the house and sometimes it works but then I'm stuck with him in the carrier and can't sit down or take him out).
    I'm not against cc or cio but I just feel it's too early to try. However I've no idea how to get him to sleep calmly! And I'm trying to not let him get overtired by trying to get him to sleep when he's been awake about an hour as he's definitely worse when he has a long awake spell. Any ideas?!
    By the way I saw a paed on Friday to rule out any medical causes and he's pretty sure it's not reflux or anything medical as the crying doesn't coincide with feeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I was going to suggest the pram but you said that doesn't work.

Have you tried putting him down and sitting with him while stroking his hair or gently rubbing his belly?

A swing or bouncer?

How long is he awake?

Do you do a feed, play sleep routine?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Just wondering what people do if their baby stops self settling for naps?

Should I just get him up if he starts crying? This morning I had to feed him to sleep as he didn't self settle. It's looking like he won't sleep again now. His night sleeps have already turned to crap and I don't want to start aiding him to sleep again. But on the other hand he will be so over tired if he doesn't sleep now.

I'm wondering if I should be transitioning him to 1 sleep. I just don't want him to be perpetually over tired or he will definitely stop self settling.

The schedule you posted HGL seemed to not have much awake time at all. He's been successfully having 3 hours awake time for months now and if I ever try and put him down earlier he doesn't sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have you looked up the 11/12 month sleep regression and their sample schedules on the baby sleep site. There's an article about not being fooled into transitioning to one nap too early.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (31-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I just saw the 11 month old schedule and it looks like DS might be napping too much.

I'm not keen on the idea of waking him from naps, but if it helps his night time sleep I might have to bite the bullet!

Sample 11 month old schedule

7:00 – Wake and Breast milk or Formula
    9:00 – Breakfast
    10:00 or 10:30 – Morning Nap (at least 1 hour)
    11:00 – Breast milk or Formula plus snack
    1:00 – Lunch
    2:00 or 2:30 – Early Afternoon Nap (at least 1 hour)
    3:00 – Breast milk or Formula plus snack
    5:00 – Dinner
    6:15 – Begin bedtime routine
    7:00 – Breast milk or Formula and Bedtime (goal to be asleep at this time)

If your baby doesn’t mind a more “consolidated” approach to eating, like my second son, here is another type of schedule:

Schedule 2

7:00 – Wake
    7:15 – Breakfast plus Breast milk / Formula feeding
    9:15 – Snack
    10:00 or 10:30 – Morning Nap (at least 1 hour)
    12:00 – Lunch plus Breast milk / Formula feeding
    2:00 or 2:30 – Afternoon Nap (at least 1 hour)
    3:30 – Snack
    5:00 – Dinner plus Breast milk / Formula feeding
    6:15 – Begin bedtime routine
    7:00 – Small BM/Formula feeding (possibly) and Bedtime (goal to be asleep at this time)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    I'm thinking my ds2 is too young at 10 weeks to do much sleep training but he's driving me nuts! During the day he just fights sleep so much to the point where he just cries hysterically while I hold him tightly and eventually he gets worn out and falls asleep. But I can't then move or put him down as he will wake instantly. It means he's getting short 10-30 min naps during the day and it seems like such an ordeal getting him to sleep.
    There is no way he will fall to sleep in his own. If I put him down just to do something such as get dressed, change ds1 nappy etc then he becomes inconsolable within a few minutes. It's the same with the pushchair, I don't really bother trying to put him in anymore and just carry him everywhere. The only place he will happily fall asleep without a fight in it the carrier but only when we are out (I've tried in the house and sometimes it works but then I'm stuck with him in the carrier and can't sit down or take him out).
    I'm not against cc or cio but I just feel it's too early to try. However I've no idea how to get him to sleep calmly! And I'm trying to not let him get overtired by trying to get him to sleep when he's been awake about an hour as he's definitely worse when he has a long awake spell. Any ideas?!
    By the way I saw a paed on Friday to rule out any medical causes and he's pretty sure it's not reflux or anything medical as the crying doesn't coincide with feeding.
    Omg this was me just 3 weeks ago! I had to either hold or have in carrier. Now he will go in his pram, I still rock him but once asleep he stays there. I hope in a couple of weeks it improves for you

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicsta83 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (01-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I was going to suggest the pram but you said that doesn't work.

Have you tried putting him down and sitting with him while stroking his hair or gently rubbing his belly?

A swing or bouncer?

How long is he awake?

Do you do a feed, play sleep routine?
    I'm not intentionally following the feed, play sleep routine but in reality that's what we are trying anyway. He normally wakes between 6-7am and then will be happy and awake for a while. Then when he's been awake about an hour i try to get him to sleep as this is when he's starting to get a bit grizzly. At the moment I'm just wrapping and holding him and that's when he starts crying and will literally cry himself to sleep over 10-15 mins.
    This morning I tried the swing once he was quite sleepy after being held for a bit but he just started crying after a few minutes. Then I tried putting him down on his beanbag and that seems to have worked and he's drifted off on his own. However he's in a very light sleep moving around lots so I reckon we will only get about 30 mins if I'm lucky. At least I have my hands free to sort out breakfast for my toddler though. Now just to keep him quiet and avoid him waking baby!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Have you read SOS? I'd try her settling techniques after 12 weeks (to get in before the 4 month sleep regression.

Also in the mean time have you thought about a top up feed? That's what I did with DS and it did help him sleep but I started a feed to sleep habit, but in those first 4 months it didn't mean he woke more at night or cat napped, it just meant he went to sleep with a full belly and slept well. I wish that during the 4 month sleep regression (which was rather mild for him) I had started to keep him awake during the top up feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicsta83 View Post
    Omg this was me just 3 weeks ago! I had to either hold or have in carrier. Now he will go in his pram, I still rock him but once asleep he stays there. I hope in a couple of weeks it improves for you
    I have to do a few things to get my little 8 week old to sleep...rocking shooshing and patting. He wakes 40 minutes later during the day and I have to do it all over again. Haventried tonteach him tomself settle but he just isnt ready