+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Baybla it sounds like your bub is going great! If the dream feed works I personally would chose that. Simply to try and avoid bub waking close to 5:30am - nearly wake up time. It can be harder to get a bub back to sleep around then. If bub has trouble resettling then you could get into a habit of early rising.

Dreamfeeds can disrupt a bubs sleep if they wake.

Some suggestions:
    - give it a little longer before making a call on whether the dreamfeed works. At 6.5 weeks bub is still young and mum and dad are still new to the technique
    - give any change in routine at least a week before making a call on the effect. Chopping and changing every few nights I don't think is conducive to making a solid call.
    - if you do dreamfeed then then consider cutting the dreamfeed after bub is established on solids (3 x meals including protein) for 8 weeks. If you continue the DF too long it can interfere with solid intake and sleep cycles.
    Thanks VP. She has been going really well. I think once she hits 8 weeks we will give the dream feed a proper go. Thanks for the tips!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (27-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicsta83 View Post
    I feel you at 9 weeks I was like hurry up and be old enough to sleep train! I actually tried at 9 weeks and failed! With my DD I trained at 9 weeks and it was pretty successful.

Anyway DS is now 13 weeks and I often resettle without feeding. He gets Max 2 feeds a night. Other wakings I either rock or I put my hand on his tummy firmly, both take forever! This morning I was in there from 5:20 till 6 doing the tummy thing and then he woke again at 640!

So a question for you guys....assuming DS is not sick and no longer in pain when should I sleep train and get him to self settle. I should add at the moment he has only just on the last 2 days got to a point where he lets me put him down and he doesn't wake, he has actually slept either 45 mins or even longer!
    At 13 weeks if bub wakes after 1 sleep cycle I would still try and do whatever to get another cycle of sleep (rock/pat/pram etc). Until about 18 weeks I would do this.

There are some things you could start doing now to help encourage sleep.
    - introduce a cloth comforter, use it at every sleep regardless of whether it is in pram/cot etc
    - don't feed to sleep. Have 20 minutes break between the last milk feed and bed.
    - always put bub to sleep where you intend bub to wake. Never transfer bub when asleep
    - if you pat/shush to sleep try slowly scaling back and stopping patting/shushing when bub is drowsy but awake
    - look at some type of routine with day naps. Whether it be specific times (routine people like myself find useful) or just consistent awake times between day naps. Inappropriate timings for sleeps is a big cause if catnapping and sleep problems around that age.
    - look at the room temp and bubs bedding. 5amish is the coldest part of the day. If you're hopeless like me with guessing blanket requirements get a thermostat controlled heater - they are sooooooooooo useful in helping with a good nights sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    VP, any specific tips in how to introduce a comforter? I have a lamb head on a fluffy cotton square that I want to introduce to DS but he self settles to sleep okay for naps and bed time, so I'm worried it might distract him and stop him self settling. Then during the night he might roll over it and it might wake him up.

Am I being a worry wart for no reason? He's waking so much in the night (every 3 hours) and I'm not sure why. I assume teeth, but not sure. Panadol doesn't make a difference. As I said he self settles at the start of the night so I'm at a loss!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    VP, any specific tips in how to introduce a comforter? I have a lamb head on a fluffy cotton square that I want to introduce to DS but he self settles to sleep okay for naps and bed time, so I'm worried it might distract him and stop him self settling. Then during the night he might roll over it and it might wake him up.

Am I being a worry wart for no reason? He's waking so much in the night (every 3 hours) and I'm not sure why. I assume teeth, but not sure. Panadol doesn't make a difference. As I said he self settles at the start of the night so I'm at a loss!
    - stop swaddling. Swaddling can interfere with bub bonding with a comforter
    - use the comforter at every sleep regardless of whether it's in the pram/cot/rocker
    - only use the comforter at sleep time
    - watch your child when falling asleep and try to figure out of your child has 'adopted' another comforter without you knowing (eg caressing long sleeves on pyjamas as falling asleep). If so you may need to remove or amend that secondary comforter
    - give it at least 2 weeks of consistent use. Ignore minor hiccups such as bub being distracted. Stick with it

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    - stop swaddling. Swaddling can interfere with bub bonding with a comforter
    - use the comforter at every sleep regardless of whether it's in the pram/cot/rocker
    - only use the comforter at sleep time
    - watch your child when falling asleep and try to figure out of your child has 'adopted' another comforter without you knowing (eg caressing long sleeves on pyjamas as falling asleep). If so you may need to remove or amend that secondary comforter
    - give it at least 2 weeks of consistent use. Ignore minor hiccups such as bub being distracted. Stick with it

Good luck
    Thanks! He's no longer swaddled, he doesn't seem to have adopted any other rituals. I put him down on his tummy and he just wriggles around, sometimes rolls over a few times but just ends up on his tummy and falls asleep.

Whenever he wakes in the night he's always up in the top corner of the cot. He's not cold because his room is between 21 and 23 degrees, he wears a singlet, a onsie and a 2.5 TOG sleeping bag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    So DS is waking less in the night but still 2-3 times which is just too much. I am bloody exhausted.

Not sure what to try next. He self settles, the temp and his bedding looks all in order.

I can't figure out if it's his teeth, he's still recovering from gastro. I'm not even so sure he's hungry, but I've tried leaving him, I've tried rocking him but he just doesn't stop crying at all until I feed him, but it's not like it's a sleep association, as he's awake 10-15 minutes after his last feed.

His routine is wake at 7:30, nap at 10:30, he will wake at 12:30 or we will wake him, then nap at 3:30 (or 3 hours after he wakes), then I don't let him sleep past 5. Then it's bed at 7:30/8.

So he will get 3.5-4 hours in naps (sometimes he won't take his second nap in which case he gets 2 hours).

Any tips?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So in the night besides those 2-3 times where he must be fed does he wake any other times?

I think kids/babies have different sleep associations at different times of the day. For example I seem to have taught Jack that I will rock him to a point (just eyes closed, but not quite asleep) and then he must go down, but this only works for naps. For bedtime he must be held till I'm a deep sleep or he screams.

I had a friend and even tho her kid self settled he still expected to be fed a fair few times in the night to go back to sleep...in the end I think he grew out of it but Took till 18 months. I think you likely just need to refuse to feed if you don't want to feed, it will be hard but he will get the message.....obviously would involve crying and a few hard nights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicsta83 View Post
    So in the night besides those 2-3 times where he must be fed does he wake any other times?

I think kids/babies have different sleep associations at different times of the day. For example I seem to have taught Jack that I will rock him to a point (just eyes closed, but not quite asleep) and then he must go down, but this only works for naps. For bedtime he must be held till I'm a deep sleep or he screams.

I had a friend and even tho her kid self settled he still expected to be fed a fair few times in the night to go back to sleep...in the end I think he grew out of it but Took till 18 months. I think you likely just need to refuse to feed if you don't want to feed, it will be hard but he will get the message.....obviously would involve crying and a few hard nights.
    I occasionally hear him call out, but not often. But he very well could wake more often but I only ever hear him when he's actually crying.

My paed has recommended letting him CIO to wean him, but I'm not up for that just yet.

Well it's 9:30 and he's crying out already - 2 hours after he put himself to sleep. Sooooo jack sh!t of this!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't really have any advice Asquared. I found DS gradually started sleeping better at night once he self-weaned at 13 months. Even then he still woke once for a bottle which I then slowly watered down and lowered quantity until he stopped wanting it but he didn't consistently start sleeping through until he mastered walking.

You could try altering his naps a bit so his afternoon nap is his bigger one and he's up by 4? I followed this schedule mostly around that age:

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1440935850.963722.jpgImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1440935873.209154.jpgImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1440935899.843851.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks Holly, I had been wondering if his daytime sleeps are effecting his night wakings. I've just been reluctant to change them as I'm glad to have him sleeping well at least at some point in 24 hours.

I wonder if it's worth me waking him after 1.5 hours from his first nap (so 12) then put him down at 3 and wake him at 4/4:30.

He didn't nap this afternoon so maybe the 2 hours he just had was his 'second nap'