+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

Default Sleeping Like A Baby

*** This is a trial thread.

It has come to light lately that sometimes parents of children who don't or cannot sleep through the night would like a place where they can discuss and support each other without others feeling as though they need to offer solutions to "fix the problem". The aim of this thread is to offer such a place.

It should be considered as a safe place free from debate or those trying to challenge the views of parents who have chosen to accept their children's nocturnal habits. If you truly believe that nearly all children are capable of sleeping through from a very early age with just a few tweaks, then this is not the thread for you. (Please do feel free to start your own thread if you feel you have information you believe would benefit parents )

I myself have a two year old who doesn't sleep through. I have never tried to fix it, because I found when my twins were small if I let go of the need to "control" we would all be much happier. Accepting what is, is what works for me and my family. (And venting a lot helps too!)

I will be keeping a close eye on this thread over the next few weeks and I remind posters once again this is a safe space where parents of children who don't sleep through (whatever your definition of that may be) can find support without feeling pressured or judged.

Thank you for your understanding that this thread may not be everyone's cup of tea, and rather than challenging ideas in here, we respectfully ask you not to post.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (16-08-2015),BettyV  (16-08-2015),BH-KatiesMum  (17-08-2015),binnielici  (29-01-2016),CazHazKidz  (18-08-2015),DesperatelySeekingSleep  (16-08-2015),DT75  (16-08-2015),gingermillie  (16-08-2015),Gracie's Mum  (16-08-2015),HollyGolightly81  (16-08-2015),hoping28  (17-08-2015),just her chameleon  (16-08-2015),LoveLivesHere  (16-08-2015),minigourmands  (02-09-2015),misskittyfantastico  (16-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-08-2015),smallpotatoes  (16-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have had three shocking sleepers. My 6yo DD is now sleeping through regularly with the occassional exception of a nightmare.

My 3yo DS will sleep wonderfully in a toddler bed in my room but will wake constantly in his own room so we have him in our room with a toddler bed at the foot of my bed.

My 2yo DS is just horrible at night. He kicks and thrashes around and is a very light sleeper. I have another toddler bed right next to my bed but he rarely sleeps in it. Depending on how tired I am, some nights I'll try to encourage him to sleep in there and hold his hand but majority of the time it's just easier for everyone when he climbs into bed with me

A long time ago I adoptedthe motto "no expectations no disappointments". I expect my kids to need me 24/7 and not just when the sun is up and therefore I respond to them whenever required

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (16-08-2015),binnielici  (29-01-2016),HollyGolightly81  (16-08-2015),misskittyfantastico  (16-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (27-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My youngest two were the same. My middle child is now 5 and sleeps through 75% of the time. Which is great.

My 2 year old has never slept through the night in his own bed. He still co-sleeps. I'm looking forward to moving him to his own bed soon as he's starting to show signs of being ready. I'm thinking if maybe putting my 7 year old with him at first to ease the transition. He likes to feel and make sure someone is there.

My first child was an awesome sleeper unless he was sick. Now he wakes all the time due to nightmares or being scared. Overactive mind!

It's tricky juggling but we just go with the musical beds routine for the moment. It's less stressful than trying to work out a method for each individual.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (16-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD (3yo) crept into our room and slept at the foot of the bed last night like a cat. I didn't realise until I felt someone at my feet and I thought it was DS (9.5 months) making an escape until I realised he was next to me!

Both of them wake through the night at the moment. occasionally DD sleeps through. Prior to winter she was sleeping through every night!

I said in another thread I try not to let it worry me or get worked up about it. I got so worked up about DDs sleeping when she was little, that this time around I just take DS's sleeping in my stride and try to sleep when I can. Although I must admit he is a fabulous napper (2x2 hours nap and he's fed to sleep) so that makes the night wakings easier to bear.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2 youngest have been shocking sleepers (for them) lately. So much easier to just put them in my bed. We had 4 in a QS bed last night and it was very cozy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    My 3yo is such a bad sleeper I don't even know what it's like to sleep in my own bed anymore. Any time someone has her for the night (maybe once a month or less) I wake up several times a night at the times she usually wakes me anyway. My body clock is shot. Phenergan doesn't even work on her. She has it on a semi regular basis for allergies and doesn't make a difference at all.

@Mod-Nomsie

Thank you.
    Last edited by DesperatelySeekingSleep; 16-08-2015 at 13:09.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thank you @Mod-Nomsie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou @Mod-Nomsie for this great thread.
    I've only posted a couple of times before as I felt that I had nothing extra to offer in the sleep debate and I can only speak for my kids, not anyone elses. I have a 4yo DS1 who is pretty good now but comes in to our bed some nights for the last couple of hours or so - we don't fight it anymore and enjoy the cuddles. Mr DS2 17 months has always been super high needs but it has taken me until a few months ago, failed sleep school and feeling awful about myself to realise that if he is that way during the day why would he stop needing me overnight. Pretty much once I stopped listening, googling and worrying about his sleep, it became less of an issue for our family. It's not that he is heaps better (he isn't ) but we just accept as part of his makeup - after all we did nothing different that we had with DS1 - they are just different personalities with different needs. I have just made peace with his sleep habits and in those dark teary moments I remind myself that the sleep deprivation will end, one day I will get more than 3 hours sleep in a row and that I will remember his baby years for all the right reasons and not for the crappy sleep. I am here for my boys when they need me.
    My Rule: One healthy, cheeky toddler smile is worth a hundred sleepless hours.
    We can all only parent our kids in the way that feels right to us and for our family. No-one can argue with that.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TwiceBlessed For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (16-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Great OP Nomsie! Commenting so I can come back later ☺️.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Both of my kids are terrible sleepers, I am also a terrible sleeper, I figure they will move out one day 😂. Hope all my fellow sleep deprived mums get some good rest soon xx

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PipersMummy For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (16-08-2015),misskittyfantastico  (16-08-2015)