+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 56 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooh the cevix kick is the one that gets me too.
    My turn to worry, just back from ultrasound and the growth of both have slowed. Everything else on track. Saw midwife afterwards and she reassured me it was ok, still within range on 10th centile, there's just not much room but they can still have a spurt of growth. See obs on Tuesday.
    Sleep, I went to a baby class and the teacher was very strict about routine. 4hr feeds, not letting bubs fall asleep feeding so they get a full feed, wind cuddle back to bed, and only sleeping in the bed room in the cot. She was went as far as to say not taking bubs out of home for first 6 to 8 weeks. All easier sad than done I would imagine. Whose swaddling? I saw on the news some Australian research against swaddling.
    Last edited by miss macy; 05-05-2016 at 18:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bit off topic and might post elsewhere but my two are growing fast and all the carrying is taking its toll on my back. They are on the verge of being too big for our baby bath, dread kneeling on bathroom floor and trying to do it in an adult bath. What does everyone do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful1975 View Post
    Bit off topic and might post elsewhere but my two are growing fast and all the carrying is taking its toll on my back. They are on the verge of being too big for our baby bath, dread kneeling on bathroom floor and trying to do it in an adult bath. What does everyone do?
    Sorry not sure can help - use the tummy tub one at a time for out two - am hoping will do until can sit up in bath....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to crabby For This Useful Post:

Hopeful1975  (06-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks - incidentally I've never heard of tummy tub. It looks great! Looks like it is for up to 6 months so might have missed the boat on that one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Crabby

The shower is what was suggested to me as I also have back issues re the adult bath. In the shower, either take one in with you and wash them or use Bumbo seats and 'shower them' with you sitting on the shower floor with them. I currently use the big old fashioned laundry tub which is almost perfect height for me and am dreading when I can't do that any longer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cathy69 For This Useful Post:

Hopeful1975  (07-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Miss Macy

I basically did all that and have 2 lovely well settled twins and have been able to maintain my sanity ! The 6-8weeks of not taking them out was told to me as more not taking them to shopping centres etc ie go for lots of walks, local shops/cafe's and other peoples houses OK - essentially limit the stimulation they have and exposure to bugs while you establish a routine and until their first immunisation happens.

I have swaddled since day 1 and only now at 4 months am I not doing it as we have swapped to sleeping bags (gro-bags). The swaddling was essential to get the babies to settle quickly as it 'tied' their arms down and controlled their reflex actions which would wake them up. You need to make sure you only swaddle their arms and torso and leave their hips and legs free (though covered). Having something firm around their torso apparently makes them feel safe and secure and is part of the settling routine. I used a style called an Aussie Swaddle/wrap where the babies hands are enveloped into the muslin and point up rather than the traditional way of strapping the arms straight down the torso. (My guys preferred their hands facing up.) I used muslin wraps as I liked the flexibiity and low cost (!) but you can buy lots of different pre-formed swaddles - the love to Dream seems to be the most popular. If you think you prefer those, see if you can borrow some from friends/mothers group to try out as they are usually about $60+ each in case your baby doesn't like it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cathy69 For This Useful Post:

miss macy  (07-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes the whole routine thing is easier said than done. We're at 4 weeks now and everything I've read says get them on the same schedule. We need to feed every 3hrs but my babies are both different sizes and capabilities of feeding and settling, so these past weeks have been a bit of a nightmare. I'm hoping the next few weeks they will come together more. I still ultimately try to feed them together or we'd b up all night. We swaddle (using love to dream which seems to work better cos they can't punch out of them) and we do the whole feed, burp, swaddle, white noise, but they won't settle in the bassinet or anywhere flat. i think max is very refluxy so it takes a while to burp and settle him and keep him upright.
    We used the book ''the dream baby guide'' with ds1. It was our saviour . It's written by the Australian baby whisperer and sleep consultant. For that reason he is such a well slept and adjusted little boy which has made our lives way less complicated now the twins are here.
    What i find the hardest is doing both twins together. How do you do it @Cathy69 ? I mean mostly the night feeds, burp and settle. DH is going back to work next week and he won't b able to help really cos needs to sleep. They both seem to wake together and i find it nigh impossible to effectively burp and settle them both. They're not big on dummies either. So we have them both crying while i change the other or burp one after feeding. Then resettling or patting one to sleep. ..the other is going off. Welcome to twins i guess? ! 😯
    Last edited by MusicalGal; 07-05-2016 at 10:06.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MusicalGal For This Useful Post:

miss macy  (07-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    MusicalGal...I wish there was a magic solution but we all know there isn't. Emotionally I just try nto stay positive as no matter the issue it is only for a short time. At 4 months my 2 are sleeping almost 8 hours straight (though DS usually has a dummy emergency at about hour 6 !) and have been for about 3 weeks - I find every unsettled moment or problem so much easier to deal with in daylight !
    I don't know of it helps but literally my feed/settle routine is.......

Decide on a time schedule eg 3am , 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm etc. Then get yourself ready to feed 5 mins before then wake up the twins at that time and feed them. You may have to strip the baby, change nappy etc to wake them up but it is worth it - they should get into the habit themselves quite quickly and you won't have to wake them up after a few days. If they wake up before the due time, try to hold them off and only do the feed at the scheduled time .... obviously sometimes that is easier than others and if they are both screaming you might decide it is better to feed them 10-15 mins early rather than wait. Mine were onto 4 hourly feeds by about 2.5weeks and still are. Again I worked on a schedule that worked for me (5am, 9am, 1pm, 5pm, 9pm) and just stretched the feed times for a few days until the twins 'got it' obviously theie bottle sizes were bigger at 4 hours than 3.

Hope some of that helps or is relevant for you.

Up until about 6 weeks I was breast feeding one at a time and occasionally tandem (but found that I didn't save any time doing that once I had set everything up and got the latches right) and then I topped up my bigger/hungrier twin with either formula or expressed breast milk. Then I changed to BF'ing one only at a feed and the other got entirely a bottle (either BM or formula) - this meant I could do both at the same time so marginally sped up the process.

About 9 weeks I gave up BF'ing altogether as it just wasn't doing it for any of us but I kept expressing - this was by far better for me. So 2 bottles were so much easier to handle. I laid a nomal bed pillow in front of me on the bed and the twins side by side and then I bottle feed each at the same time. One is faster than the other and they have diferent amounts but that is OK. I burp half way through though when they were littler I burbed more often to help DS with wind.

To burp I pick one up and put them on my shoulder (I have never been successful at burping by doing it any other way) and I raise that knee so that it supports the baby. That arm then crosses over and keeps the bottle going in the other twin while the reverse hand pats the burping twin. (Does that make sense Basically I use opposite arms and 1 leg !) I am lucky that mine like dummies so I also use them to 'distract'.

DS has a bit of reflux so I use Gaviscon Infant in about half of his bottles.

Settling .... I put them into their cot (they share) together, when still awake and do the 'pat and shush' thing.... I don't use white noise but do put on lullabies or I sing to them or some other type of music. I put my hand on their chests and hold firmly and say 'goodnight etc ' and then do a bit of gentle shhhhhh'ing which tends to get them to close their eyes. I walk away and leave them. If they cry, it depends on what type of cry but generally I leave them crying for a few moments/minutes then go back and repeat the chest hold and shhhhh. If one is particularly upset eg it is escalating to tears or screaming, I will pick him/her up and we might dance around the room or do a fast side to side swing which seems to calm. It is a really fast swing, not a gentle rocking, you almost get dizzy (it was a midwife tip) - it seems to almost reset the baby and it has never failed to stop crying in my house. It isn't controlled crying - just giving them an opportunity to calm themselves down without interference from me and about half the time they will stop crying/dithering and go to sleep themselves.

Of course, I use a dummy too if they want it. I use the 'Closer to nature' ones which are like a nipple so it is like feeding sucking for the baby which is soothing in itself. I would retry the dummies, even if only 1 of them ends up using it.

Goodness what else ?
    I smile at them constantly even when I am at my whits end... apparently it releases a feel good hormone in them when you smile at them so it is relaxing for both of you !
    When you put a dummy in - hold it for 5-10 seconds until the sucking action starts otherwise they just spit it out.
    Burping - I only try to burp for 5-10 mins at most. No burp by then then it isn't coming. I have also used Infacol at times - it certainly gives bigger burps (the idea is that it brings together all the little bubbles into bigger ones easier to burp up) but I didn't think it made any difference to baby comfort.
    Bottles/equipment - I always wash it straight after using it and put everything back 'in its place' so that in the middle of the night I don't have to think about where things are and I can find them half asleep. That minute to hand wash (I do it in the bathroom sink) has been my saviour at times.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cathy69 For This Useful Post:

Hopeful1975  (07-05-2016),JulieMalooley  (07-05-2016),Lolly99  (08-05-2016),miss macy  (07-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Musicgal and cathy, wow, thanks for all the invaluable info. Cathy that routine makes perfect sense. It obviously pays off, especially necessary with twins. Do you sleep your c twins side by side b or either ends in the cot? Did you use the cot from birth or bassinets to start?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to miss macy For This Useful Post:

Lolly99  (08-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks so much @Cathy69 I am definitely screen shotting that post ! Some fantastic tips there !!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JulieMalooley For This Useful Post:

Lolly99  (08-05-2016)