Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I can remember waking in the night and dragging my pillow and blanket into my parents' room to sleep on their floor with the dogs whenever I was scared. They'd wake up and there I would be. ☺️. DS had a night terror a few weeks ago, it was awful😢.
    We went through about 2 years of it. Unfortunately it coincided with the birth of DS (started before we was born) and continued until he was around 18 months old. God I have never been so tired. Hard to settle a child who is beyond hysterical.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A bit off topic, but both my sons suffer(ed) with night terros nightly for a long time, and they still pop up ocasionally... it was awful I'm not sure if you have tried it, but waking them about half an hour before the usual time of them waking in terror worked amazingly for us. Just enough to stir them and break the sleep cycle and the night terror was "skipped". Night terros usually occur at the same point in a sleep cycle, so can often be predicted. Anyway, just thought i would share, in case it was helpful to anyone

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (16-08-2015),HollyGolightly81  (15-08-2015),Phony  (15-08-2015),Sonja  (15-08-2015),wobbleyhorse  (15-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Thanks for sharing that @Kaybaby. We were so sleep deprived at the time we didn't really know what we were dealing with. But it's awful to see kids so distressed. Would definitely be worth trying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    A bit off topic, but both my sons suffer(ed) with night terros nightly for a long time, and they still pop up ocasionally... it was awful I'm not sure if you have tried it, but waking them about half an hour before the usual time of them waking in terror worked amazingly for us. Just enough to stir them and break the sleep cycle and the night terror was "skipped". Night terros usually occur at the same point in a sleep cycle, so can often be predicted. Anyway, just thought i would share, in case it was helpful to anyone
    I had read that as well so have locked it away in case they become more common. His was at the tail end of a fever, which I've read can be a reason since they are more tired than normal, so hasn't happened since thankfully! Was over an hour of him being absolutely hysterical with nothing 'getting through to him.' Finally I tried turning on the light and reading a story and he woke properly and snapped out of it. I'd been avoiding turning on the light and doing something like that because I was worried about starting that never ending worry of a 'bad habit.'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, once they are in the terror we found nothing that helped just ride it out, keep them safe and reassure yourself that they remember nothing in the morning (which always amazed me). We stopped doing the sleep stirring after a bit and they didn't come back for ages. I know a lot of other people it has worked for as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    Thanks! I didn't know this. My dd1 went thru a shocking phase.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've always ascribed to the thought that genetics play the biggest factor in sleep.
    DD has a genetic syndrome. it's a spectrum disorder and the most common features amongst the kids so have it are poor feeding and sleep issues.
    Inability to go to sleep. ...stay asleep. ...get back to sleep. ..then extreme fatigue during the day.
    Every single family I have ever talked to all struggle with sleep for their kids. It's part of their disorder.
    And then for me. .. I struggle to sleep. ..my mum did. ... her mum. ...
    I absolutely think it's more about genetics than anything else. That said, we can do things to promote better sleep but sometimes. ..for some babies/children/adults....they will struggle with sleep.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (15-08-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (15-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Read this blog post today that was shared by a friend on night terrors - http://picklebums.com/2015/05/07/dea...night-terrors/.

I completely agree that genetics plays a big roll in sleep, DH will sleep through anything, I have always woken several times a night. DS is in the middle, he has nights where he will sleep (possibly waking but not making any sound) for 11+ hrs and wake with a dry diaper and nights where he wakes several times. I have tried not to obsess over his sleep, which was hard in the early days when we were told by a doctor to let him cry it out, poor DH had never even heard of the concept and was genuinely asking the doctor why anyone would leave a baby to cry, not that he wakes up to tend to DS very often but that is a whole other thread!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michellead For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (15-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (15-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I buy that. I'm an amazing sleeper (if I do say so myself) and my boys would probably sleep through a horde of elephants doing the mamba through the room.

I tend to stay out of sleep threads because my two boys figured out to self settle on their own and they're (generally) excellent sleepers. I actually feel kind of guilty reading about the sleeping woes of other sometimes because I didn't actually do anything to get such good sleepers; they just did it on their own!

I've always put it down to my good luck.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to snowqu33n For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (15-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Here's a link to the study itself if anyone is interested in the research paper as well as the article http://m.pediatrics.aappublications....e1874.full.pdf

15. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (15-08-2015)