+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Long Haul Flight with 10 Month Old...

Ok I've read through the threads in this section but can't see an answer to a couple of my questions... we are flying to South Africa in a few weeks with Singapore Airlines.
    22 hour flight or something stupid like that .... 9 hours to Singapore 2 hour layover then another 11 or so to Cape Town.

1. Can I take my own home made food on long haul international flights for my baby? She's a shocker with tinned or canned food. I have ordered her a post weaning baby meal on Singapore Airlines but have no idea what that might actually be and if she's likely to eat it.

My plan was to take a couple of meals worth of home made food (like risotto, cheesy veg pasta) in small tupperware tubs or pouches under 100gr/ml, a few serves of dry baby cereal powder which she likes which I can just add formula to and couple of squeezy fruit pouches, rice crackers etc. for snacks. Will the flight attendants keep the food in the fridge for me?

She is on 3 formula bottles a day so I'm going to need bottles too...

2. Are the flight attendants able to wash my bottles for me so I don't have to carry 4 bottles? Would it be sanitary? Can they boil water for me in the galley for the bottles? I have no idea about the logistics of this!

Any other advice for long haul with a baby would be appreciated too

thanks
    Em x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emski72 View Post
    Ok I've read through the threads in this section but can't see an answer to a couple of my questions... we are flying to South Africa in a few weeks with Singapore Airlines.
    22 hour flight or something stupid like that .... 9 hours to Singapore 2 hour layover then another 11 or so to Cape Town.

1. Can I take my own home made food on long haul international flights for my baby? She's a shocker with tinned or canned food. I have ordered her a post weaning baby meal on Singapore Airlines but have no idea what that might actually be and if she's likely to eat it.

My plan was to take a couple of meals worth of home made food (like risotto, cheesy veg pasta) in small tupperware tubs or pouches under 100gr/ml, a few serves of dry baby cereal powder which she likes which I can just add formula to and couple of squeezy fruit pouches, rice crackers etc. for snacks. Will the flight attendants keep the food in the fridge for me?

She is on 3 formula bottles a day so I'm going to need bottles too...

2. Are the flight attendants able to wash my bottles for me so I don't have to carry 4 bottles? Would it be sanitary? Can they boil water for me in the galley for the bottles? I have no idea about the logistics of this!

Any other advice for long haul with a baby would be appreciated too

thanks
    Em x
    Firstly, singapore airlines are IMO the best airline for flying with small children. And singapore is the best stopover airport

I have taken food on board before (Qantas and singapore) and it was fine. But on singapore, the food they have available for bubs is very good so don't stress. Qantas is another story!!

They will wash bottles for you if you ask them to. They will have a boiling water tap in the galley. I would probably carry 4 bottles anyway, incase of delays etc. In terms of being sanitary, it will be fine. And at 10 months I wouldn't stress.

Call them and ask for a bassinet seat if you haven't already. Ask again when you check in.

Take a stroller to the plane with you, it will make things so much easier.

Expect the worst but hope for the best! Good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Thanks...trying hard not to overpack but cover all bases at the same time.