+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoralicious View Post
    We've just done 12 flights on an overseas holiday with our 15 month old. Second the spare clothes for you! We had his favourite book for takeoff to keep him sitting still. During flights we followed him up and down the aisles while he "made friends" with everyone and explored. Not exactly relaxing but it kept him busy! We still use a baby carrier (ergo) which makes boarding/disembarking much much easier as you have your hands free for luggage. Snacks and a few favourite toys and just go with the flow! Good luck!
    Thanks. That sounds exhausting! Lol. I'm worried he will just annoy people if I let him walk up and down the aisle (obviously following him) and that he will get in the way. The flight is only an hour and a half but he loves to run around so it's going to be a long day for him.
    He's never liked carriers but I picked up a back pack to use on the plane. When we leave Dp will be at the airport to help with luggage and my dad and stepmum will be there to pick us up.
    Any recommendations on snacks? I'll take sultanas and rice crackers. Just can't think of any food that's not really messy haha.

Didn't think to take it on the plane with us so that's a good idea. A dummy will help with his ears on take off and landing I'm assuming?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We flew with DS when he was about 20 months old. We took the ipad (a god send!) and packed a couple of new matchbox toys in their packaging. The flight was around 5 hours and he ended up sleeping for a good portion of it, which was great!

Snack wise I'd take easy things like crackers, or even fruit puree pouches.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    We flew with DS when he was about 20 months old. We took the ipad (a god send!) and packed a couple of new matchbox toys in their packaging. The flight was around 5 hours and he ended up sleeping for a good portion of it, which was great!

Snack wise I'd take easy things like crackers, or even fruit puree pouches.
    Thanks! I'm taking the iPad so hopefully he will enjoy it. He usually gets annoyed at it and throws it when he plays with it at home so he doesn't get it a lot lol.

I think I will take some pouches, the are easy.

I don't think I'll get lucky with sleeping 😞 we have to drive 3 hours to Sydney airport and then 2 hours to my dads place from the Sunshine Coast so he will more than likely sleep in the car.

What apps did u have on the iPad? He's got a drawing one - basic, free app. I was thinking of putting a couple of shows he really likes on it and seeing if I can distract him that way but then I can guarantee someone will sit next me and get ****ty having to listen to it lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just search "kids animals" or "kids trucks" etc, whatever he is in to. Even characters, see what you get back. ABC have a free app too I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    What apps did u have on the iPad? He's got a drawing one - basic, free app. I was thinking of putting a couple of shows he really likes on it and seeing if I can distract him that way but then I can guarantee someone will sit next me and get ****ty having to listen to it lol
    The new ABC play app is good, especially if he likes ABC kids already.

If you just keep the sound on fairly low you shouldn't annoy anyone too much. I'm sure they'd prefer a kid playing on a ipad than screaming from boredom!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup pouches are really handy and nutrios/little crackers, bananas, sandwiches, yoghurt in squeeze packs. As for the going up and down the aisles- DS is active like yours and we were on long flights so no way to avoid it, I found that most people were very understanding about having a toddler on board and as long as I was right behind him to direct/distract/stop him from annoying anyone it was fine. Lots of people loved it and he got a few cuddles in with the air hostesses and some grandmotherly types, ha ha. That said as yours is a short flight you might be lucky and he will be fascinated enough with the iPad to stay in his seat! 😝

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by blissfulfairy View Post
    Just search "kids animals" or "kids trucks" etc, whatever he is in to. Even characters, see what you get back. ABC have a free app too I think.
    Thanks. That's easy enough lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    The new ABC play app is good, especially if he likes ABC kids already.

If you just keep the sound on fairly low you shouldn't annoy anyone too much. I'm sure they'd prefer a kid playing on a ipad than screaming from boredom!
    Well I'd hole they'd prefer that, I know I would lol.
    We usually watch nick jr but he will watch abc I'm sure lol as long as there is colour he will be amused.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoralicious View Post
    Yup pouches are really handy and nutrios/little crackers, bananas, sandwiches, yoghurt in squeeze packs. As for the going up and down the aisles- DS is active like yours and we were on long flights so no way to avoid it, I found that most people were very understanding about having a toddler on board and as long as I was right behind him to direct/distract/stop him from annoying anyone it was fine. Lots of people loved it and he got a few cuddles in with the air hostesses and some grandmotherly types, ha ha. That said as yours is a short flight you might be lucky and he will be fascinated enough with the iPad to stay in his seat! 😝
    Can only hope he is amused by he iPad instead haha. I'd hate for him to annoy anyone lol. He loves saying hello to people so if he starts to lose it I'll take him for a run up and down lol
    Thanks for the snack ideas!

I'm stressing but hoping its for nothing lol. Hopefully it all runs smoothly and goes quickly, we are planning to let him run around a bit before we drive back to my dads so hopefully he will be ok lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    As others have mentioned snacks and iPads are good. However 18 months he will most likely want to run up and down the isle, lol! I travelled heaps with DS at that age, Melb/Sunshine Coast so a bit further (and we also flew to Thailand, that's another story!!). I seem to recall sticker books were also good, might be a bit young for those but you can get them for about $2 and it really doesn't matter where the stickers end up. We took those on our long haul, maybe got 20 mins or so 😉
    I think it's always best to have a bag of tricks and not get too disheartened if he doesn't want to participate etc.
    as for good you could also try carrot/celery sticks if he eats those - take a bit longer to eat (and the point is to kill time). We used to take fruit purée packs too but found DS finished them in 2 seconds flat so didn't help us much!