+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sleeping through the night

Hey guys I just wanted to get some tips on getting bub to sleep through the night and when other peoples babies started sleeping through or at least a decent amount of time. I have a 4 month old baby who we are having some troubles with getting him to stay asleep at night, he's very unsettled waking up every couple of hours. So some tips from other parents would be nice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids started sleeping through at different ages (earliest at 3 months).

Maybe you might not agree, but I used controlled crying. I also made sure my babies had a routine and proper naps throughout the day.

Recently I've had to re-train my 16 month old to sleep and settle himself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alamprecht View Post
    Hey guys I just wanted to get some tips on getting bub to sleep through the night and when other peoples babies started sleeping through or at least a decent amount of time. I have a 4 month old baby who we are having some troubles with getting him to stay asleep at night, he's very unsettled waking up every couple of hours. So some tips from other parents would be nice.
    Your bub is in the midst of the 4mth sleep regression. It will pass. Sleep training is inadvisable under 6mths of age. You will get a variety of answers here from pro sleep trainers to 'go with the flow' parents.

Btw sleeping thru is considered 5hrs for babies from a medical perspective.

I'm a go with the flow parent for kids under 12mths. I don't believe in sleep training so I just co sleep. My kids went thru various phases of waking overnight but both consistently slept 10-11hrs from 14-15mths old. Dd1 did 10-12hrs from 5wks to 6mths then teething hit. Dd2 was a clockwork 3hrly feeder till 9mths and teething hit.

My only suggestion is that you do what you are comfortable with. It's still normal for babies to wake to feed overnight till toddlerhood.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (14-08-2015),Busy-Bee  (15-08-2015),HollyGolightly81  (14-08-2015)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I also say, do what you feel comfortable with. my children started to sleep approx. 8 hrs when they were about 6 kilos ?? personally, if the child was waking because of a need, I would just met the need, but if the child was waking because he thought it was playtime, I would be re settling him as quickly as possible. there is no need to worry about "bad" habits, each child has different needs at different stages. marie,

Thanks
    Reviews
    What's controlled crying ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Bub is still very very young and requires feeds / nappy changes overnight. My ds still had at least two feeds overnight at this age, from memory the recommendation was not to go any longer than 4 hours between feeds, and still now at 17 months he wakes at least once for comfort and a little bottle of water.

The only advice I have which I received from a sleep school, is to keep things as dark as possible when tending to baby overnight. Discourage play by feeding and changing in a darkened space and try not to interact playfully. This will help bub learn that evenings are for sleeping / relaxing. Also day naps will affect how they sleep overnight, sleep promotes sleep and if they are overtired then they will struggle with their overnight sleep cycles.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to munchkin275 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (14-08-2015)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Its still very normal for a bub this age to wake several times at night. My ds was still waking every 2-3hrs and by 6 months I think he started sleeping in a 5 hour block overnight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by alamprecht View Post
    What's controlled crying ?
    I don't agree with controlled crying AT ALL so won't comment on what it is, but there is a whole section of Bub Hub with a wealth of information and lots of members that can help you if wanted to implement cc to try and help with bubs waking.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to munchkin275 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (14-08-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (14-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (14-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Try not changing wet nappies. When you hear Bub stir, pick them up, put straight on the boob with out turning lights on (you'll need a constant lie night light probably) or talking and after the feed is done when Bub with goes very calm or falls asleep put them back with minimal interaction, and do whatever gentle rocking or shooshing works for you.

The idea is to feed them in a dream like state where they don't really wake up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    I wouldn't leave my bub in a wet nappy just saying..as that would wake her up eventually anyway plus cause nappy rash if left on too long.

Other than that, good advice all round bar the "controlled crying" IMO. I don't advocate or agree with that either.

My DD started sleeping through all night (which is what I consider sleeping through) for the first time just before 16 wks.
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 14-08-2015 at 21:14.