+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Teachers - is it worth it?

I just began part-time studying my grad dip secondary education - not a decision I came to easily, it's been 16 years since I was last at uni and I now have a family to support - and another child on the way...
    The reasons for me wanting to become a teacher are many and varied. After 16+ yrs in my current career - mainly in corporate, I am soooo ready for something new. I just don't like what I do anymore. I have also taught adults at various universities on & off and really enjoyed that - but I want to take the teaching further, expand my skills, teach new subjects and have more options for the future etc. And being able to be at home with my kids during school holidays was definitely a big consideration.
    Now I have a few close friends and a couple relatives that are teachers. Most love their jobs, enjoy a good amount of holidays and those that have been working for a while are getting paid really well.
    However since I started studying, all I have heard from the university and the tutors (who are also high school teachers) is how they all work until midnight every night, don't really get holidays and are at school from 7am-6pm weekdays. I even had one tutor laugh at me when I said I was a mum, she said 'well teaching doesn't fit in with family life at all! So good luck with that!'.
    Why all the negativity?! I realise it's not all roses but then what job is? Before I started I had plenty of people (including current teachers) suggest teaching was a good career for mothers/fathers. I am a bit confused.
    I am freaking out a little. I do understand it depends a lot on the school you work at and the subjects you teach. But I am sacrificing a lot of time and energy to complete my course (I am still working at same time) and I hope it's not all in vain...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes it's worth it.

It's hard work but hugely rewarding. It's a rich profession filled many and varied people and situations. There is negativity because the work it's hard and at times emotional. But the upside is you connect deeply with people, you recovef during the holidays and the super is pretty good

You sound like you'll make a wonderful teacher!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (14-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've never done the til midnight prep thing that some teachers do. I don't hang out in the staff room much during lunch or spares and I get most of my planning and prep done then. Reports and PT interviews are a different story, long days there but that's only a few times a year! The days can be longish - 7:30 til 5 is pretty standard - but it's never boring and it is rewarding.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    ^ I should add that I'm currently on leave with a 16 week old DS and I miss work and I miss my students and I miss knowing I've done something fundamentally worthwhile with my day (besides raising my own children 😅).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Yes it's worth it.

It's worth noting that in my experience the training doesn't really prepare you adequately for the actual realities. The first couple of years are very time consuming as you gather resources and prepare lessons, but over time you learn to ******line, and, if you are lucky, can reuse lessons and units so you will begin to collect a large repertoire.

In my case, I generally have the same student for four years, so I can't redo themes etc each year, I have to constantly come up with new ideas and new lessons. Even so, after ten years out I have the ability to ******line the process, 'wing' some lessons etc.

It is hard, and you do it for love nor money, but gee I love it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's a great career and since having DD it's a career I'm very grateful to have. Yes, it's hard work but what job isn't? I certainly have never been up until midnight every night and have most of my holidays to myself, I will do some work here and there but not too much. My DH is currently a teacher in a senior role and on average is at school from 8.15-4.30 daily then spends another 1-2 hrs working at home once DD is in bed. Weekends and holidays he would average 1-2 hrs per day.
    Some aspects may not fit with family life eg. You have holidays but it is difficult to take time off during the term if your kids are sick, have appointments etc. You will probably need to look at before or after school care for your kids because you will start earlier and finish later than they do.
    Ive been so lucky to return to work 2 days per week since having DD, I still love teaching after 12 years!
    So don't listen to all the grumps, enjoy your study and get the most out of it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's okay. The pay is terrible compared to corporate jobs. No overtime or extra pay ever. I love teaching but the kids can be difficult and if you aren't natural with kids/teens you will get eaten alive. Have seen it many times. If you find a subject you are passionate about and love constructing new activities and curriculums under intense pressure from admin then it's a great job.

I do lots of extra planning in my own time, but I like to be prepared. I know teachers who float in and out and don't care. They aren't necessarily good but some people are comfortable being average.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I just reread your OP and want to suggest that your tutor is either an idiot or out of touch with the real world of teaching. I have met maybe three teachers without children of their own, and I think it's ludicrous to suggest that there isn't a way to make it work.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is TOTALLY worth it. The thing is that heaps of people go, 'teaching? You work 9-3 40 weeks a year'. Which isnt true. So then we feel like we have to overstate the extra work that goes into it. Its not a 9-3 job, but I used to work 7.30-4.30, come home & do dinner etc, then maybe 3 nights a week,do a few more hours after dinner, like 9-11/12pm. May e 4-5 hours on a weekend. I was in a private school though, with a lot of extra expectations. I think its a great job to have with kids, because a lot of work like preparation or marking, you can do with your kids around at home, or you can bring your kids into work after hours. If you love the job, the extra work is totally worth it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends on the school you're in as well and the expectations there. Most people at my school work 7:30-5 then maybe half an hr at home each night after dinner. It's a rewarding career and I love it but it can be tiring and hard to switch off.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to operationbabyg For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (14-08-2015),sunnygirl79  (14-08-2015)