+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Nope..not at all. Somethings inside we've tried to tidy up/block so ds can't get into them. Our backyard is nice but not very safe for someone uneasy on their feet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My home & yard are very safe in layout,I have a flat backyard,high fence, single story open plan house,etc. I do really appreciate being able to let baby explore &play on their own without having to watch them every second,ESPECIALLY baby #3. I totally get it. Could you put up a smaller fence around a safe area of your yard? To get washing done, how about keeping a high chair near the laundry door,so you can put your DD in there with some morning tea while you are washing? Or even a little playpen,or a portacot with a few toys inside to keep her busy for 10 mins while you get washing done?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (13-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No... But we let him roam about (somewhat) supervised. My dad collects knives and swords so they are about the house in cupboards and he makes model planes so Im finding small paint pots,scapels and various little things scattered throughout the house, sigh. Nothing is accessible to DS yet as he can't open big cupboards. The yard is OK, but has no front gate so we keep an eye on DS when outside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    My home & yard are very safe in layout,I have a flat backyard,high fence, single story open plan house,etc. I do really appreciate being able to let baby explore &play on their own without having to watch them every second,ESPECIALLY baby #3. I totally get it. Could you put up a smaller fence around a safe area of your yard? To get washing done, how about keeping a high chair near the laundry door,so you can put your DD in there with some morning tea while you are washing? Or even a little playpen,or a portacot with a few toys inside to keep her busy for 10 mins while you get washing done?
    Thanks for this was starting to feel like a crazy helicopter mum because I want a safer yard! I probably played down how unsafe it is. There is just so much to do with 3 as much as I'd love to play all day I just can't. I'm so stressed trying to fit everything in during naps or rushing around when she is engrossed in play by herself. I think I need to figure out if there is section I can close off and I might be able to get some non climbable toys for the deck and let her be out there while I'm in living area. That's a good idea to put high chair by laundry I could pick up another cheap ikea one been meaning to get an outdoor one anyways so it could be my roving chair!

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used a playpen a lot when my kids were small. best investment I ever made. it was easily portable, inside or outside. it was so well used. even if it only gives you 20 mins of a break, it is somewhere safe, and confined for the little one so you can get other things done. I would look at what part of the house or yard you are spending most of your time and make that where you focus on the safety issues. if you are in the kitchen most of the day, then that could be where you need to make safe first. but a portacot, or playpen, is a great solution too. marie

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (13-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Inside is open plan and very modern so DS doesn't even see the cupboard and drawers, the look like a shiny wall so no worries and nothing is baby proofed.
    The issue... We have a terrace that is a big concern because we are on the 4th floor and it is a straight drop to the street underneath (the apartments underneath are built out to the street and we are on the top - does that make sense!?). It is great to play out there with DS as 3/4 is wood and the other 1/4 is astro turf although I cannot for a second leave him unattended and have to make sure the doors are closed when we are inside and I am not with him. It is draining! I love our apartment though and in central London it is hard to find good places so just living with being super vigilant. The wall is solid and he can't see over the edge but he knows it is there and last week chucked a toy car over the edge, it was the first time I have shouted at him and I felt terrible - the street is full of restaurants, bars and coffee shops and I am so thankful it didn't hit anyone.
    If I owned a house with a garden I would try to make at least an area of it toddler friendly, I wish DS could play outside more - every day we go to parks etc but its not the same as just mucking around and exploring, like my brother and I did growing up on 5 acres...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I found it difficult with both kids at that age no matter where I was. I had a 4.5 year gap between my kids so it was a challenge keeping her away from all the things that weren't a problem for DS, like his Lego.