+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is your yard / house child friendly?

Our house is in the best position (IMHO) on our street being at the end of a quiet cul de sac. But! It's pretty unchildfriendly! Baby #3 was a surprise and I'm really struggling with the layout. Outside we have a nice safe deck but leads to front lawn which is uneven, has steps and edges could fall down onto concrete or into bush and being front the road is pretty accessible. It's fine now with ms8 and mr6 but buba is 14 months and such a curious explorer. I can't let her any freedom outside to play I have to be in arms reach at all times. Dp is gone all week he doesn't get it. I guess I just wonder do others have safe areas for toddlers to play? Main living area is open plan and now pretty safe but I'd only leave the room for super quick wee as things to climb etc. laundry is downstairs which is now filled with small lego pieces so I have to fit in washing when she's asleep with isn't a lot!!! I dunno if I'm making sense. I'd love a safer environment, am I being unreasonable? Should I just put up with things as they are? I'm not working so I'll be home with bub everyday for another 3/4 years!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As I'm sure you know from your older kids, it doesn't take long for them to understand danger and what they're not allowed to do. Hang in there until your little one is two and I'm sure you'll be able to relax a bit more.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (13-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my DD was 15 months, we moved to a split level house on a hobby farm.
    I put a baby gate on the stairs to limit her access, then let her have free rein of the upstairs area.
    When she went outside, I kept an eye on her to ensure she wouldn't seriously injure herself, but didn't shelter her from 'lower dangers' like slopes/uneven ground/ etc. She did get a few minor injuries initially- scratches/scraped knees but quickly learned how to manage obstacles.

Now at 4, she has free rein of the house paddock, about 3 acres and is great with managing risk.
    I don't watch her constantly, just check her every 10-15 mins etc.

I'm a firm believer in kids needing to learn about risks and how to manage them. Definitely a free range parent over here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No house is going to be perfectly child friendly. Babies are babies, toddlers are toddlers, exploring is what they do! It can be draining especially with not much support but it doesn't last forever. When they're older you forget all about things like that. Just enjoy the time while you can & try and see the positives I don't have a great outdoor area where I am. Until DD was 2.5 we had nothing at all, which of course I wished were different but it just meant I made the most of parks, indoor & outdoor play centres for her to run around. It's the same now really, we are hoping to redo our yard at some point to make it more kid friendly but until then, we manage

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nope. I've never child proofed anything aside from plastic things in power points and, when they were crawling, a baby gate which didn't allow access to the kitchen. Otherwise the boys just do whatever and go wherever. I'm pretty relaxed though and accept they are going to hurt themselves on occasion. We have a deck which they could fall off but are old enough now to know not to stuff around near the edge. They also have a cubby house which has steps up to it and a slide which is fairly high off the ground and they've both learned to navigate it and not once fallen. But they've had run ins with concrete, brick steps, slippery parts of the backyard, minor falls etc. The older and more coordinated they get, the less that stuff is an issue. We also didn't do much to the inside of the house. If they hurt themselves they hurt themselves. We're as cautious as any other parent I guess, but not overly so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't child proof anything. Our house is open plan and both kids and been free to roam and do their own thing from as soon as they could crawl.
    Sure they have hurt themselves but that's life and it helps them learn.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (13-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe I'm just jaded with child #3? Uneven grass is cool but she falls down one end its steep drop to concrete, through unsecured fence it's large drop into bushy area, then super steep drop to lower level on one side and long row of concrete steps on the other. She's only 14mths and not mastered steps. She eats dirt and bumps herself that's all good but some of these drops would mean a hospital visit. Our old house had tiny garden but it was level and enclosed so better. It'd just be so nice for both of us if I didn't have to watch her every second. I'm more city girl like enclosed playgrounds and sitting on nice patios, dp is free range running in dirt climbing rocks - he should be home doing this though I doubt anyone would get fed or ever find home readers 😛

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Is your yard / house child friendly?

We have a very kid safe house. I use a safety gate to section off the kitchen and front rooms. The playroom is directly in front of the kitchen so easy to watch the kids. Bathroom and all other rooms besides kids bedroom have their doors shut. I could leave my two 2.5&6mths to play happily as long as I was in hearing vicinity.

Oh I used a playpen to cordon off bookshelves. It's important kids fall as babies and toddlers so they learn and don't fall as much earn they are older and bones are harder/break easier. We have tiles so I used to worry then realised that the sooner they learn the better.

Outside - completely safe. Yes grass is uneven but it won't kill them.

Why don't you teach your daughter to use steps? DH taught both girls as soon as the could crawl 7-8mths how to go up and down steps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think some houses just don't need child proofing.

I've never needed to child proof inside our house, didn't block anything off or lock cupboards, but we put up a fence in the front yard as it dropped off to a 4 foot drop around the whole perimeter. Also put a railing around our deck which is low enough to have no rail but is a foot and a half drop onto concrete which is fine for older kids but new walkers it's a hazard.

I personally would do things to make the yard safe so I could have the kids out there without needing to supervise them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    I don't child proof anything. Our house is open plan and both kids and been free to roam and do their own thing from as soon as they could crawl.
    Sure they have hurt themselves but that's life and it helps them learn.
    Yep this. Except atm I have taken to sticking utentils in the cupboard handles in the kitchen to stop dd4 opening them- but thats more because I am sick of constantly having to re-roll the alfoil and put all the plates and cups away rather than a safety thing. Our yard is pretty kid friendly- flat, 6 ft fence, small garden in one corner but they dont go near it anyway. I think the most dangerous thing in our yard is the dog poo.
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 13-08-2015 at 13:04.