+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I agree...working women are entitled to both. I'm sure it will be a tax offset for my Dh's company and our employee gets extra money to stay at home with her firstborn. Although I dislike the idea of her staying away longer....she's such a great employee.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Fina, the govt will give your employee the PPL funds (via your company), but if your company wants to pay above and beyond that to your employee, thats great.
    What often happens (at workplaces which provide their own maternity leave payments) is the employee will claim the govt PPL payments for 18 weeks, and then the employer pays X no of weeks at $X. e.g an employer offers 8 weeks at full pay- the employee gets the govt payments for 18 weeks, and then employer funds for 8. I think the payments can be in either order (employers then Govt or vice versa), and possibly concurrently. Hope this makes sense.
    Its a great thing your company is doing for your employee.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As SJ565 said
    I'm claiming the 18 weeks centrelink parental leave but this is paid by my employer even though I apply through centrelink

And also 14 weeks maternity leave through my employer

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Paid parental leave and double dipping

Im pretty sure you will still need to deal with Centrelink- from my understanding - if the employee has been with you for 12 months plus you (the company) needs to pay the PPL to your employee (Centrelink will transfer the funds to you in line with your pay cycle).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    No - the govt money she received through you is the only Paid Parental Leave she will receive from Centrelink. You are only facilitating the payment of Paid Parental leave on behalf of Centrelink.

If your company also has a maternity leave payment, then your employee is also eligible for that (this payment comes from your business).

The 'double dipping' that was referred to was for women who have access to both govt and work maternity leave (but IMHO that's what they are fully entitled too so isn't double dipping!)
    This.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If we pay separate maternity leave payment then couldn't our employee apply for ppl and receive it directly from Centrelink? Less work/hassle of registering with centrelink.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fina14 View Post
    If we pay separate maternity leave payment then couldn't our employee apply for ppl and receive it directly from Centrelink? Less work/hassle of registering with centrelink.
    Yes, your employee can receive her PPL direct from Centrelink so that you can avoid registering etc but she cannot receive a payment from PPL and you (the employer) at the same time. (Concurrently)
    So rather, it could be that you (the employer) pays her first 8 weeks and then the government pays her their 18 weeks - giving a total of 26 weeks. (Or vice-versa, the government payment for 18 weeks then you follow with whatever leave you would like to add)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinky76 View Post
    Yes, your employee can receive her PPL direct from Centrelink so that you can avoid registering etc but she cannot receive a payment from PPL and you (the employer) at the same time. (Concurrently)
    So rather, it could be that you (the employer) pays her first 8 weeks and then the government pays her their 18 weeks - giving a total of 26 weeks. (Or vice-versa, the government payment for 18 weeks then you follow with whatever leave you would like to add)
    I thought you could take them concurrently? Where did you find out that you can't?

Generally the government paid leave is paid through your employer, not Centrelink.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can take them concurrently - I'm getting both employer ppl and govt ppl at the same time. You should (if you choose to) negotiate a period of employer funded leave with the employee and then tell her to apply for the govt ppl from centrelink. I'm not sure if they'll pay her direct or through you but either way she can get both at once or take them in (any) order.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fina14 View Post
    I think Centrelink are moving away from direct payments and are making employers pay it for them on their behalf.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

wobbleyhorse  (13-08-2015)