+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Paid parental leave and double dipping

My DH runs his own company and one of the female employees is pregnant. I help out with some company stuff and have been assigned the task of looking into maternity leave payment. I found the information below from Centrelink re: paid parental leave scheme.

Preparing for your role as an employer in the Paid Parental Leave scheme

Follow these steps in order to prepare for your role in providing government funded Parental Leave Pay to your eligible employees:
    • register with Centrelink Business Online Services for the Paid Parental Leave scheme – this will automatically register you to be able to provide Employment Separation Certificates
    • opt in to provide Parental Leave Pay to eligible employees
    • discuss your employee’s leave intentions and workplace entitlements with them
    • employee submits a claim - this can be up to 3 months before the expected date of the birth or adoption
    • we decide whether the employee is eligible
    • we then decide whether you are required to provide Parental Leave Pay, and we notify you of this decision
    • you then need to either accept the decision to provide Parental Leave Pay to your employee or seek a review of the decision
    • if you accept the decision, you need to provide to us or confirm with us your pay cycle and bank account details
    • you will receive the funds from us before you need to provide Parental Leave Pay to your employee
    ​My question is..Do all employers use this govt funded money to pay paid maternity leave for
    Last edited by Fina14; 12-08-2015 at 20:10. Reason: Incomplete post

Thanks
    Reviews
    My question is - if our employee receives this govt funded money through our company, can she apply for another paid parental leave payout through centrelink? Wouldn't the govt know and disallow this second payment? How can someone double dip as what was termed by the liberal govt? Do all companies/ organisations use govt funded money or some provide paid maternity leave out of their own funds and therefore can allow their employees to have the double dipping situation?

I want to understand how things work to advise my DH the best option for his company but also to look into the employee's best interest.

Any advice or information would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Fina14; 12-08-2015 at 20:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yes, currently she can claim both.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fina14 View Post
    My question is - if our employee receives this govt funded money through our company, can she apply for
    ?? Hit send too soon?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The government funded money is the same as the centre link PPL. The "double dipping" refers to an employee taking 18 weeks government PPL as well as paid parental leave that the employer is funding themselves.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (12-08-2015),lilypily  (12-08-2015),Mrs Snowman  (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No..lol. My post keeps freezing and the only way I can complete it is to save and then go back to edit it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    The information you refer to above is the government paid parental leave. This paid leave is paid for by the government - through your current employer. This is not double dipping it is the one leave type and the one payment.

The so called 'double dipping' (which it clearly isn't), is when an employer provides its own paid parental leave and you also claim the government paid leave. This is totally allowed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fina14 View Post
    My question is - if our employee receives this govt funded money through our company, can she apply for another paid parental leave payout through centrelink? Wouldn't the govt know and disallow this second payment? How can someone double dip as what was termed by the liberal govt? Do all companies/ organisations use govt funded money or some provide paid maternity leave out of their own funds and therefore can allow their employees to have the double dipping situation?
    No - the govt money she received through you is the only Paid Parental Leave she will receive from Centrelink. You are only facilitating the payment of Paid Parental leave on behalf of Centrelink.

If your company also has a maternity leave payment, then your employee is also eligible for that (this payment comes from your business).

The 'double dipping' that was referred to was for women who have access to both govt and work maternity leave (but IMHO that's what they are fully entitled too so isn't double dipping!)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Lillac  (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So if our company can afford to pay maternity leave out of our own funds then we don't have to communicate at all with centrelink. This employee is a close family friend who is a great worker so we do want the best financial outcome for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. Not all employers use only that money to pay employees. Some people pay above and beyond. Of course if you are paid that money you need to give that to your employee. But if you want to offer more then of course you should. The double dipping thing is not in place yet.