+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I remember the GP telling me that I may feel worse before I felt better which totally freaked me out because I already felt awful, fortunately I just felt no change rather than getting worse. There are so many other pills to try that will work so please try and not loose heart. I imagine first your GP will want up your dose before trying a different med but because you're not pregnant or breastfeeding you have so many options. I know it's hard to see while you're in the depths of it but you will feel better, I promise. How are you sleeping?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry you are going through this. It's awful and I experienced it with my 2nd child 17 yrs ago.

I hope the Gp helped you this afternoon and I agree with other ladies it does take time for meds to kick in but you don't have to suffer .. I truly hope you get the help you need . Well done on asking for help today .. It's a huge step

I wish I could wave a wand and make it disappear for you.

Thinking of you and sending live

Thanks
    Reviews
    My doctor was really good. He listened to how I have been feeling and was really understanding. He explained that Zoloft may not be the right med for me so he has changed my medication to lexapro which I start tomorrow. He has also given me something to help me sleep. He suggested I take a break from the kids for a couple of days. He also suggested I try and go for small walks or to the gym. I've never really been someone who enjoys going to the gym.
    He also explained to me that if things don't seem to get better he will look at inpatient care for PND.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ruby, I was diagnosed with PND yesterday. I, too feel ashamed and embarrassed. Which I realise intellectually, is completely ridiculous, since I have nothing but compassion and understanding for anyone else with a PND or any other mental illness.

I've tried to manage it myself for 5 months (clearly that was not the smartest thing to do, as I didn't really discuss exactly how I was feeling with anyone). I am exactly where you are - I'm exhausted, lack motivation, have no energy, don't want to do anything, finding it hard to function, can't stop crying, getting anxious about everything, feeling very alone/isolated. I also get ridiculously angry over nothing. My DH is a saint - he cops most of it. On Monday, I had 2 panic attacks while I was home by myself with my DS, and that was what made me realise how bad it had become.

I've been given Sertraline. I'm already feeling nauseated, have a dry mouth, and have been a little giddy. I don't like it at all. I've had to take Lexapro in the past. The only side effect I had was really vivid dreams. It was changed to Efexor eventually, and I found that one worked well at the time.

I hate going to the gym, too. Exercise does make a difference though (from past experience). Would you consider a yoga class or something like that? Yoga is also good because it will help you to relax and focus on your breathing. I say this as someone who hasn't been to any classes since before she got pregnant, even though I know it would probably help.

Having a good doctor who listens can make a massive difference. PANDA has a hotline with a counsellor call back service as well. I haven't tried it yet, but my DH and I put together a plan (I'm a control freak - plans make me feel better), and they're on it to contact. I'm sorry you feel as awful as I do. I hope this medication will be more effective for you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

rubytuesday24  (26-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I second the suggestion of yoga. Great to get the energy flowing and relaxing for you at the same time. You don't even need a class, if you don't feel like going out (which was me at my worst). Check out Yoga with Adriene on YouTube. It might help you get started and then when you're feeling better you can find a class in your local area.

As I've said before, it's important to get some fresh air and sunshine so walking is good too!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (26-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    Ruby, I was diagnosed with PND yesterday. I, too feel ashamed and embarrassed. Which I realise intellectually, is completely ridiculous, since I have nothing but compassion and understanding for anyone else with a PND or any other mental illness.

I've tried to manage it myself for 5 months (clearly that was not the smartest thing to do, as I didn't really discuss exactly how I was feeling with anyone). I am exactly where you are - I'm exhausted, lack motivation, have no energy, don't want to do anything, finding it hard to function, can't stop crying, getting anxious about everything, feeling very alone/isolated. I also get ridiculously angry over nothing. My DH is a saint - he cops most of it. On Monday, I had 2 panic attacks while I was home by myself with my DS, and that was what made me realise how bad it had become.

I've been given Sertraline. I'm already feeling nauseated, have a dry mouth, and have been a little giddy. I don't like it at all. I've had to take Lexapro in the past. The only side effect I had was really vivid dreams. It was changed to Efexor eventually, and I found that one worked well at the time.

I hate going to the gym, too. Exercise does make a difference though (from past experience). Would you consider a yoga class or something like that? Yoga is also good because it will help you to relax and focus on your breathing. I say this as someone who hasn't been to any classes since before she got pregnant, even though I know it would probably help.

Having a good doctor who listens can make a massive difference. PANDA has a hotline with a counsellor call back service as well. I haven't tried it yet, but my DH and I put together a plan (I'm a control freak - plans make me feel better), and they're on it to contact. I'm sorry you feel as awful as I do. I hope this medication will be more effective for you.
    Tiny Dancer.. big big hugs for you. With the way I am feeling, I would not wish this on anyone.
    I start my new medication tomorrow and am not looking forward to the possible side effects.
    We sound very much alike. I too am a control freak and feel so much better when I have a list/plan and am organised. What does your plan involved?
    Please feel free to PM me, we could help and support each other through this.
    I will look into Yoga and see what I can find.
    Thank you all for being so supportive and helpful x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by rubytuesday24 View Post
    My doctor was really good. He listened to how I have been feeling and was really understanding. He explained that Zoloft may not be the right med for me so he has changed my medication to lexapro which I start tomorrow. He has also given me something to help me sleep. He suggested I take a break from the kids for a couple of days. He also suggested I try and go for small walks or to the gym. I've never really been someone who enjoys going to the gym.
    He also explained to me that if things don't seem to get better he will look at inpatient care for PND.
    That's great news. My dr used to give me something to help me sleep until the meds started working. The insomnia from the anxiety made me worse so being able to get some sleep will hopefully help you feel a bit better. I've never been a gym-goer either but I do enjoy swimming and yoga is good because besides being exercise it also helps teach you to relax. Going for a walk to grab a takeaway coffee and then to the park/playground is something that gets me out daily and makes me feel like I've done something small to treat myself and done something for DS. It's a build up of simple things sometimes that help you feel a bit more human.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (26-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds good to me Ruby! I've only got a small support network at the moment, and only one other has told me she's been diagnosed with PND as well. After this post I'll be able to PM, and will definitely look forward to being able to talk openly!

My plan so far has quite a few steps. I'm working on sorting out the meds. When I go back to the GP for review I'll ask for a mental health plan. I've contacted PANDSI which is like a support community in ACT (where I currently am located), and have an appointment with them (but it is a week and a half away). They have an exercise group and yoga group that also has a support element to it, as well as a library of information. I'm going to contact PANDA to speak with a counsellor. I've contacted work to ask for an extension of my mat leave so I don't have the pressure of needing to be better by the time I'm dues to go back in 2 months. In terms of right now, I'm going to try to force myself out of the house for at least 10 minutes a day (weather permitting), and in a couple of weeks I'm going to try to start paying more attention to how I "put myself together". I think it will help me to find myself again if I feel more myself. I'm thinking about writing, but that makes me nervous. I'm going to put a list of phone numbers on the fridge (SIL, PANDSI, PANDA, lifeline, and a couple of close friends). I do have them in my phone, but I had 2 panic attacks on Monday, and it took all the focus I could muster to find numbers in my huge contacts list before I lost my grip. I'm going to make sure I have at least 15 min to myself each is ay where I don't think about anything like baby care and housework. I'm going to call or see at least one other adult that cares about me (besides DH). I also make a plan for one fun or relaxing family day on the weekend that is not at home. Yoga might be something I take up again, but I've got carpal tunnel and some yoga posotions may be difficult.

Wow. That was more comprehensive than I thought. I was going to PM it to you, but thought the suggestions might help others. If anyone else has any ideas, I would be open to adding to my plan!