+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Postnatal Depression

Quote Originally Posted by rubytuesday24 View Post
    I really can not believe this is happening and scares me that I will always be like this and won't get through it. Even the smallest of tasks seem so difficult at the moment.
    I understand completely- what you are describing is a classic normal symptom of depression, that complete and utter hopelessness and feeling like it is never ending.
    I have felt this way, it's absolutely horrible, and scary, but I promise with medication, and then when you feel that tiny bit better from the medication in a couple of weeks, you can start doing little bits to uplift yourself further, like:

Watch your favourite movie
    Have dinner at a restaurant you like
    Have a facial or a massage
    Get your nails done
    Have a long bath with salts and candles
    Listen to your favourite music
    Eat a batch of raw cookie dough
    Walk on the beach
    Visit someone
    Eat your favourite take away While watching your favourite DVD
    Read an awesome book

When you are ready, it might help to make a list like this, of things you used to enjoy before you got so down. When you are really down even things you normally enjoy don't seem like fun, that's normal for depression, but once the meds kick in you will have that tiny bit of strength and you will start to enjoy things again, so if you plan to do them by writing it in a diary or calendar so you can get a babysitter or your partner to help out for an hour or two while you take some much needed "me time".

Please continue posting and sharing, you are not alone.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to made2bAmummy For This Useful Post:

SheWarrior  (15-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It will get better, guarantee it. I had severe PND with my first and now pre natal (I'm 35 weeks pregnant) anxiety/depression but not as bad as the first time. Both times I thought there is no way I would ever feel better and both times about 4 weeks after starting Zoloft I feel amazing! It really takes the edge off and stops me worrying and stressing about things and I'm able to then feel happy and enjoy myself. You're not a failure it's just a chemical imbalance
    Side effects for me are decreased sexual desire, nausea and difficulty sleeping at first but both have resolved now. Good luck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

made2bAmummy  (15-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really hope the side effects pass because I feel pretty yuck at the moment.
    I spent some of the day out side in the fresh air today. I didn't do much but the fresh air felt nice compared to sitting inside. I sat and watched my DD play and DH work in the yard.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubytuesday24 For This Useful Post:

made2bAmummy  (15-08-2015),SuperGranny  (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Postnatal Depression

Sorry, but I disagree with a blanket statement to just tell somebody not to take antidepressants when you don't know their exact situation and why her or her dr felt they were necessary. For many of us, we need antidepressants to kick in to open us up to every other type of therapy.

OP I'm sure the other ladies and your dr have said this but it will probably take about a month to feel better but also sometimes a particular pill doesn't work for whatever reason, because we're all different, and you need to try a different pill. I didn't feel better with the Zoloft until a month later due to needing a higher dose. So two weeks on 50mg made no difference but after two weeks on 100mg I felt much better.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 19-08-2015 at 17:49.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (19-08-2015),BettyW  (19-08-2015),Mrs Snowman  (19-08-2015),SheWarrior  (19-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    [quote deleted by Moderator - was a spammer]

A virtual smack to you. Would you tell someone with epilepsy to not take the medication they were prescribed and just control their seizures by not moving around so much?

PND isn't a failure, it isn't feeling a bit bored, it isn't being in a bad mood for a day or two it's a mental health issue, diagnosed using specific criteria for which medication has been prescribed to the OP.

Telling someone who has been prescribed medication by a doctor not to take their medicine only reinforces dangerous stigmas.

OP, you're not a failure. You're doing your best to be a mum while also dealing with a mental health issue. Follow your doctors advice, it will get better, as others have said it can take some time for the Zoloft to show some effect.

Once you scratch the surface you find that a great many people have had a mental health issue at one time or another. Statistically speaking, 45% of the Australian population will experience a mental health issue in their lifetime so you are not alone.
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 19-08-2015 at 20:11.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (19-08-2015),jb23  (19-08-2015),Mrs Snowman  (19-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [Quote deleted by Moderator - was a spammer]

This is really not on.

OP has been prescribed Zoloft because she needs it.

Your tips are good suggestions & may work well alongside medication- for others they may work without medication.

But... please don't ever tell anyone to not take meds that have been prescribed to them for an illness!
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 19-08-2015 at 20:11.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yadot For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (19-08-2015),Mrs Snowman  (19-08-2015),VicPark  (19-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A gentle reminder to please be mindful when posting in this very sensitive area of the forum.

*(Taking off Mod hat here)*
    Disclosing depression and related matter is a very big step and one that can often be associated with feelings of shame, embarrassment and stigma, and here we try to provide an area which is supportive, empathetic and encouraging of those who are reaching out for support, advice, guidance and the general need to be heard and know they're not alone in their battle.

We appreciate that most members post with well intentioned advice, however it needs to be said that illnesses such as depression often require a combination of therapies, and one of those may be medication. Therefore, please do not dismiss the fact that people may be prescribed meds, I am sure it can be appreciated we would never tell a Cardiac patient they should go off their prescribed heart meds and do activities instead.

Again, although posts may not have been written with malice and/or meant to be well intentioned, we must remember to post with advice and guidance which is not harmful.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (19-08-2015),BH-KatiesMum  (19-08-2015),gingermillie  (19-08-2015),harvs  (19-08-2015),HollyGolightly81  (19-08-2015),Mod-Degrassi  (19-08-2015),ScubaGal  (19-08-2015),SheWarrior  (19-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How are you doing @rubytuesday24 ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by made2bAmummy View Post
    How are you doing @rubytuesday24 ?
    I'm feeling ok. Been feeling very tired and have had a headache most days. I also have a cold too. I don't have the butterfly/jittery feeling anymore and don't feel as anxious. I am finding that morning are when I feel my worst..

17. The Following User Says Thank You to rubytuesday24 For This Useful Post:

made2bAmummy  (22-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do you take your medication in the mornings? I often found when I was on medication that I felt it most when I'd taken it but by later in the day as it was working its way through my system I started to feel better. It does pass though, it's just when you first start taking it that you feel the worst.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

made2bAmummy  (22-08-2015)