+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't had PND but have had post natal anxiety which I still take citalopram for. I found seeing a psychologist really helpful. I too was so ashamed and embarrassed, for some reason I thought I would cope really well with becoming a parent (who knows why I thought that!) but found it much harder than expected.
    I did feel a bit 'off' and nauseous the first couple of days on medication but it settled down. Other things I found that have helped me are doing more things for myself as DD has gotten older, getting back into exercise, catching up with friends both with and without kids, and even just simple things like watching TV shows I enjoy and reading. I still have anxiety but it is nothing like before.
    Wishing you all the best in your recovery and remember that 1 in 5 people will experience a mental illness in their lifetime, your certainly not alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Please know first and foremost that you are not alone. And you are most definitely not a failure! And you have nothing to feel ashamed or embarrassed about.

I sought treatment for peri-natal anxiety from about halfway through my pregnancy with DS (he's now 11 months old). I also have a history of depression as a young adult. I understand where you're coming from as I felt ashamed and embarrassed that I was not over the moon at the prospect of motherhood. In fact, the idea of it totally freaked me out.

I chose not to have medication this time around, just because I hate the way that it makes me feel, but medication is an excellent way to get back on your feet in the short term.

For me, I did a PND course with a group of mums and mums-to-be going through the same thing. Honestly, as much as I did not want to go to "group therapy", I recognised that I needed to do something and it turned out to be the best possible thing I could have done. It made me feel better just hearing other people's stories and truly understanding that I wasn't alone. Not only did I learn some great techniques for stopping the negative self-talk but I also met an amazing bunch of women, who can really understand what it's like to feel so low about something that society tells us we should be ecstatic about.

Best techniques for me have been:
    • practicing mindfulness everyday - keeping your mind in the present moment stops much of that catastrophising that happens when you think about all the "what ifs" in your life
    • meditation - deep breathing so that I can actually ride out a panic attack, rather than making it worse. It is also a brief recharge of the batteries if you haven't had much sleep!
    • learning acceptance - have a look at acceptance and commitment therapy and also cognitive behaviour therapy
    • Really thinking about the negative self-talk and learning how to talk to myself in the same way that I'd talk to a friend who was having a tough time, i.e. being supportive of myself rather than tearing myself to shreds, if that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Postnatal Depression

PND is so common and not anything you did wrong, please know that. It's a combination of hormones, chemical imbalances and the exhaustion and challenges of being a new mom that kind of all create a recipe for it. I was on 100mg of Zoloft and had no side effects that I can think of and it helped a lot with my anxiety which meant I fell asleep a lot easier--so even though DS was still waking a lot, the ability to fall immediately back to sleep after a waking helped immensely. It was really worth taking them just to take the edge off my anxiety so I could enjoy being a mom a lot more.

PANDA is a great site so definitely utilize that but if you're in Melbourne I had a fantastic counsellor there that specialized in ante-natal and post-natal depression. She was so lovely and you can take your baby to appointments. PM me if you'd like her details.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 13-08-2015 at 16:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why does everything seem so hard? I have no motivation or energy. I hate feeling like this. I just wish I could make it stop 😢

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rubytuesday24 View Post
    Why does everything seem so hard? I have no motivation or energy. I hate feeling like this. I just wish I could make it stop 😢
    Yep your body just wants to sit and stare into space all day. And you don't care about anything. I feel you ruby. It will get better I promise. Hugs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by made2bAmummy View Post
    Yep your body just wants to sit and stare into space all day. And you don't care about anything. I feel you ruby. It will get better I promise. Hugs.

This might sound silly but how does it get better? What makes it get better? Because at the moment I can't handle the way I am feeling. Its horrible. I don't want to be at home by myself when DH is at work. I'm so tired and feeling terrible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh, hun, I totally understand where you're coming from. I would ask myself that every day. I just couldn't get that how I could go from high-energy and fun-loving to feeling like a dirty wet dish rag.

Initially when I was in that really bad place I needed small things that weren't too taxing for me to do that would lift my mood. My therapist suggested that I spend time each morning (a matter of minutes) coming up with five positive things about the day. These could be as simple as "the sun is shining and the sky is a stunning blue". Even doing it everyday for a week and it starts to change your outlook.

Hugs! Once you get over the side effects of the medication you will start to feel better, but it's also important to back that up with other positive things to build your mental resilience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do you feel like going out for a little walk 5-10 minutes, or even sitting in the yard, so you can get a bit of sun and fresh air? Vitamin D is important for boosting mood.

Also, I don't know if this will help you, but I've taken folate for years as I find when I don't I sink into a lower mood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rubytuesday24 View Post
    This might sound silly but how does it get better? What makes it get better? .
    Not silly at all. In a few weeks the Zoloft will start working and once it takes the edge off you will have enough motivation and clarity of thought to be able to actually do some of the things people on here or your counsellor are suggesting, like listing positive things or spending time outside.
    Just hang in there so the medicine can work, and keep talking to your Dr, and keep posting.
    Hugs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all so much for your support and guidance. I really can not believe this is happening and scares me that I will always be like this and won't get through it. Even the smallest of tasks seem so difficult at the moment.