+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Would you bf someone else's child?

http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/lifestyl...-1227478862326

I personally would feel a little awkward breastfeeding someone else's child, but I'd be happy to express and donate if a friend asked me. Would you bf someone else's child?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope. Dont know why, its just not my thing.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have never had the situation, but my daughter has bf her nephew, and I think my other daughter has donated ebm. I feel perfectly happy with the thought of doing this. I know my mother was donating her milk when she was still in the hospital after I was born. it was a common thing way back then. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No. I didn't like bf so gave up with DS at 4 days of age and didn't bother with Dd so no I wouldn't

Thanks
    Reviews
    It would entirely depend on the circumstances but in a situation where the mother could and there was no urgency to the baby needing a feed, then no. And never, ever without discussing it first. And not for a baby older than 10 or 11 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    I have never had the situation, but my daughter has bf her nephew, and I think my other daughter has donated ebm. I feel perfectly happy with the thought of doing this. I know my mother was donating her milk when she was still in the hospital after I was born. it was a common thing way back then. marie.
    My grandmother had 7 babies and produced so much milk that they took EBM from her for babies in the nursery whose mother's couldn't breastfeed each time she had a baby. This would have been in the late 50's and during the 60's. She also said it was really common.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (13-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep sure would and have. I've had my DS2 fed by a friend too. Both once off occurances but I wouldn't hesitate if needed.

I breastfed a friends 10month old daughter when she put her back out and was taken to emergency via ambulance and on morphine. Didn't work too well as I had low supply issues and she was could have fed an army haha but it kept bub happy and comforted when she needed it.

Another time we took kiddies for a drive to put them to sleep and then randomly saw another friend at the park. We stopped to say hello and the kids woke up. Spent a few hours there and DS2 was feeding constantly and not settling due to my low supply. (I used formula via a supplemental nursing system as top ups but hadn't packed any because we weren't expecting to be out so long). My friend gave him a good feed and we happily drove home. He thought it was christmas, so much milk 😂

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

lovebeingamum!  (12-08-2015),ScubaGal  (12-08-2015),teenie  (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would especially if the mother was incapable for a short time (surgery etc). I would love nothing more than to take my big jiggly milk filled breasts to Africa and to feed some malnourished bubs.
    It would really need to be for nutritional purposes so I probably wouldn't feed someone else's child over the age of 12 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    That's right, it was common. That reminds me - DH's great grandmother was a wet nurse back in the day!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MaximumStarlight For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (13-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sure and I'm happy for friends or family to feed my kids.

I don't have an age limit nor any other exclusions other than the mum has asked.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.