+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Tell me about REFLUX...

I think DD could have reflux. It started with hiccups and a fair bit of spill over after a feed. Now after being put down on her back she makes gurgling and grunting noises and cries out. She also vomits again when put down. She has become more difficult to settle after feeds and it's particularly worse at night. She is both BF and FF. She is nearly 5 weeks.

What are others experiences? When did it start? What were the symptoms? Treatments? When did it resolve?

TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My dd has/had silent reflux. We basically had every symptom except the actual vomiting (she swallowed it back down). You could try infant gaviscon in your bottles?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It does sound suspicious. Can you keep a diary for a few days of symptoms. This will help your dr diagnose it.
    My DD had silent reflux. We tried mylanta first..gaviscon is good too. The dr can tell you how much and when. The good thing about using either of those is if it helps alleviate symptoms then it's likely that reflux is present.
    My DD didn't vomit but would pull her legs up. .make gulping noises after a feed. ..didn't want to lie down. Very unsettled after a feed. Leading to a reluctance to feed as it was obviously burning her throat.
    We eventually used meds from her paediatrician but at about 7 or 8 months we didn't worrry too much. It often resolves when bubs can sit up a bit more and has better core strength.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My DD (10 wks) has silent reflux. Her symptoms included being very unsettled after a feed (screaming for hours sometimes), pulling of my breast during feeds and crying, hiccups, sounded congested, arching her back, getting upset when I put her flat on her back but no vomiting.

My GP gave me a script for losec to trial over 2 weeks. He also suggested that I eliminate dairy/soy to see if it made a difference to her behaviour (to reintroduce at a later date). The change has been great. I can put her down on her back, she feeds well and no prolonged screaming sessions!

Best wishes 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I think DD could have reflux. It started with hiccups and a fair bit of spill over after a feed. Now after being put down on her back she makes gurgling and grunting noises and cries out. She also vomits again when put down. She has become more difficult to settle after feeds and it's particularly worse at night. She is both BF and FF. She is nearly 5 weeks.

What are others experiences? When did it start? What were the symptoms? Treatments? When did it resolve?

TIA!
    DSS was diagnosed with it at 2 months. Lots of screaming, horrid sleeper, refused to feed, threw 80% of it back up.
    Can't recall what we tried but we tried everything we could.
    It, the symptoms, continued until just before he turned 6.

We now believe it is a lactose or glutem intolerance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd1 had reflux diagnosed at 7 weeks now 3.5 years.Lots of vomiting, refusal to feed and really unsettle. Dd2 kept pulling off the breast when feeding, lots of hiccups and possetting about 2 hours after feed in his sleep sleeps. You could also hear him gulping and swallowing in his sleep. Doc prescribed losec and am seeing pead on monday. He now is starting to cough in his sleep so not sure if this is also related or he is getting sick😯

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. We have an appointment with her paed tomorrow. She has been pretty good today but most of it seems to happen overnight. The hiccups are relentless and @torn13 it's the gulping and swallowing in her sleep which is what has alerted me the most.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

DS had reflux diagnosed at 6 weeks. He would constantly try to swallow, vomit a lot of his feeds up, want to comfort suck at the breast which led to more spilling. Always vomited when layed on his back. He was a serial cat napper and was quite irritable. We started Losec at 8 weeks to reduce the burn of the acid and we also gave him gaviscon 1-2 times a day. We had his bassinet on an angle (not that it made much difference). He lived in bibs and we had many changes of clothes each day. Once he was bigger he slept on his tummy for day sleeps which helped. He also started to improve on the vomiting once we started solids at 6 months. We stopped using the Losec around 9 months.
    I now have a 9 week old DD who has been on Losec for a week. She has all the same symptoms as DS, possibly worse 😩 so envious of mums who don't have reflux babies!
    ETA- a dummy (if your willing to give one and bub will take it) helps with the gulping while sleeping. It helps keep the feed down.
    Last edited by TeamCarts; 12-08-2015 at 17:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can also try feeding bubs upright and make sure that after feed she is upright for about 15 mins. You never know if she is coping with things and not that unsettled she may not need any meds. Good luck with it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by torn13 View Post
    You can also try feeding bubs upright and make sure that after feed she is upright for about 15 mins. You never know if she is coping with things and not that unsettled she may not need any meds. Good luck with it
    Hi - I know you've had some threads about settling recently and your bub is about a week older than mine.

I just wanted to let you know that last night we used a white noise app all night and DD slept from 9.10 - 1.45am and then from 2.15 - 6.45am. She was then up for a feed and play and I put her down at about 8.30 - still asleep.

I don't want to get ahead of myself but it appears to work for her and thought you might be interested