+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Default Pre-eclampsia and low PAPP-A results/increased Trisomy 13 risk

So I had my NT scan on Monday and I got an increase T13 risk because of my low PAPP-A results. This thread off my T13 results and increased the risk from 1:3330 to 1:1115. After some serious consideration, we've decided not to pay for NIPT. Mostly because the OB I saw (mine was off speaking at a conference so I'm glad I got to meet her in case she's at the birth!) said that she really doesn't think bub has T13 because they'd have been able to tell on the scan. Unlike T21 (and maybe even T18 from my experience because my friend's baby looked "normal" IMO) where the babies can look completely normal on the scan, T13 babies have some serious deformations even at 12 weeks.

Her other reasoning (and the point of my post!!!) is that low PAPP-A is a marker for pre-e. I was curious if anyone here had pre-eclampsia and has their results from the NIPT blood test? My doctor has me on Caltrate, Aspirin, Megafol as well as normal pregnancy vitamins. This should decrease my risk of getting pre-e again from 1:4 to 1:6. Again, another reason to not get the NIPT because the chance of it being T13 is 1:1115 so much more likely pre-e is the culprit.

Anyway, I know I literally have the best OB I could possibly have if I do get pre-e and I'm desperately hoping that I'm one of those people that has perfectly normal pregnancies after their first crappy experience with pre-e! I am super curious about other people's results, though!

Pregnancy with DS, diagnosed with pre-e at 33+2:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439329642.908281.jpg

This pregnancy, hopefully no pre-e but only 12+1 now:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439329690.443920.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With my first, my NT scan came back perfectly normal and I ended up with pre-eclampsia at 38+1 and had to have an emergency c-section.

Meanwhile, with my second I had crazy low PAPP-A (0.21) which put me at an increased risk of T13/18 (1:222). I'm a worrier so I opted for the amnio and got the all clear for bub at 15 weeks. Although to be fair, after the stress of the amnio and waiting for the results, I would have been quite content with just having pre-e! So the midwives monitored me carefully for pre-e based on the low PAPP-A and ... NOTHING. Perfectly normal pregnancy. Not so normal delivery, but hey, whatcha gonna do?

Sometimes the NT results are just whacked and way more trouble than they're worth! So despite all the stress I had, I'd still do it the next time around though because I'd rather know than not, you know?

This probably helps not at all ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to snowqu33n For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Default Pre-eclampsia and low PAPP-A results/increased Trisomy 13 risk

No, that actually helps a whole lot! Thank you, @wikidwitch!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, I had pre e with first and then low papp a with second and developed pre e very late into second pregnancy, at 39 weeks. Everything was fine. I was very worried with my low Papp a diagnosis, but honestly it didn't impact on anything and I think it even had resolved itself by 27 weeks? I think!!
    I hope this helps. Good luck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My Papp-a was fine and I got early onset preeclampsia diagnosed at 31 weeks. Progressed to severe preeclampsia and ended up in ICU at 36+4 with emergency c-section (we were trying to get to 37-38weeks). As long as you've got super vigilant monitoring (sounds like you do) then you're in the best place. Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly and no preeclampsia for you!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (13-08-2015)