+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you really want to see a dr today, kedron park medical cntr is open.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks might have to. Hopefully they actually do something this time.

Honestly i HATE taking ds to the doctor. I try to do it as little as possible these days. Cause every time i do, regardless of the doctor, i seem to get treated like an over-anxious first time mum & that im just wasting their time. I get told things like 'he goes to daycare now, you need to get used to this' etc. All well & good but i AM a first time mum, ive never done this before, he can't communicate yet, i sometimes cant tell when he just has a minor thing or if hes genuinely sick.

I even had the 'oh your just wasting my time, its nothing' attitude when i took him to the doctor once cause he had a rash. I thought rashes had the potential to be bad, but i guess not.......

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi heartstringz. please don't let the flippant remarks from doctors upset you. you know your child and if something is concerning you then go to a doctor, or atleast take bub with you to a chemist. often a pharmacist can quickly tell if you need to see a doctor or if there is something over the counter that will work. hugs, I know this is such a trying time for most new mums. marie.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're in the exact same boat, now everyone at home is sick 😔
    DS has been coughing now for over 3 weeks (13.5months old) and has developed 'conjunctivitis' in the last 3 days. He doesn't have pink/red eye.. just a build up of gunk. It seems when the cough appears to be easing up it changes or gets worse. In the beginning he had a really moist cough, then it appeared to almost dry up but the very next day returned but at least sounded like he was managing to cough up some of the mucous. Now it's a hacking cough with coughing fits like you describe. Since starting daycare at 9months we've had back to back colds, it's awful. I'm tempted to pull him out of daycare sometimes but i have to work. I hope that all these bugs really do pay off when he's in school.
    Re: seeing GP again, if your in doubt, absolutely get a second opinion, you know your LO best. That said.. if it is viral, and there is Sooo much going around at the moment, there is absolutely nothing a doctor can prescribe to make it better. Antibiotics are for bacterial infections only. I had an appointment with GP yesterday re DS 'conjunctivitis' but I cancelled it.. he appeared to improve, yet was worse last night.. better today. I'm in two minds wether to start eye drops or continue with saline soaks. I hate winter & daycare!
    Hope your LO is feeling much better soon x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks supergranny. Ive even tried calling 13health more often instead of taking him to the gp every time but then last time i called 13health the lady said 'oh..you do call a lot, dont you....' & just made me feel the same way the gps do.

Its pretty ridiculous that they have this attitude. All well & good for someone whos had a number of kids (but even then i can imagine they arent sure sometimes) but how is a first time mum meant to know what to look for?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The first couple times Dd was sick I was beyond stressed about it, I thought I'd need to take her to hospital and instead the doctor would say she is fine, she'll get better in a few days. As her mum because my daughter was ill to me it felt like the worst thing, to a doctor in comparison to what they see on a daily basis Dd had a very minor illness that would get better quickly without needing treatment (a cold or virus for example).

She has a cough at the moment like your Ds, mostly at night, I try and keep the room warm because when I have a cough I know the cold air makes it worse, apart from that I make sure her chest is kept warm also (I have no idea why, I just always put a singlet under her pjs) and give her a dose of cough medicine when it is particularly bad.

It's winter, we go out all the time, especially in the city and she's 18 months old so I figure it's probably winter and her age that are making her more susceptible to sickness right now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like my DD, she's got what the doctors have called the '6 week cough' it sucks. She coughs to the point of vomiting most night.