+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Coughing

My 13 month old has had a cough for about a month now. Been to the gp who said it will get better by itself

The last few nights it seems to be worse though. Its not sounding croupy but it keeps waking him up then he gets distressed & wont go back to sleep. Hes exhausted. Tilting his mattress hasnt helped, he has to be held upright to sleep, so dh & i arent getting much sleep either & we both have to work

We have the vaporiser running all night but it doesnt seem to be helping much

Is there anything else i can try?

At what point would you go back to the doctor & DEMAND that they do something?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also interested as my 15 month old is in the same situation. He will wake up in the middle of the night coughing so much he will either vomit or cough up a heap of mucus.
    We went to the doctor last week who talk all precautions (swabbed for whooping cough, checked lungs etc). She didn't give us a time frame of when it will get better and I don't see it happening soon as he's in daycare 3 days a week.

I don't think there is much they can do so if you were to go in there demanding they do something I don't know what there is? If they've checked for whooping cough and his breathing is okay then I think it is a game of wait it out.

We have been giving him infant prospan which has helped bring up the mucus.

It's so so hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They haven't checked for whooping cough , just listened to his chest etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Try giving him some antihistamines. He probably has a post nasal drip causing the coughing.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

amyd  (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    They haven't checked for whooping cough , just listened to his chest etc
    Can he breathe okay when he coughs? Does it sound dry or is there mucus?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dry cough or mucousy, productive cough?
    My boy gets coughs for months at a time, but after the initial infection they're quite dry. We were prescribed Ventolin which helps (but he also has a genetic predisposition to asthma). The rest is just patience, it does get better. For about 3 days before he picks up the next virus
    Productive coughs would be a different matter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it's waking him up it could be asthma, I'd at least get the GP to try asthma meds otherwise it could be a nasal drip at night. My son gets both.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was dry, now it sounds more rattely but hes not coughing up phlegm, although he has had a couple of big retches where he almost vomited. The gp said his chest sounded clear though.

He isnt having any trouble breathing, just sometimes has a coughing fit where he goes really red in the face but still seems to breathe ok.

Ill have to try & get back to the gp, its a public holiday today & the gp is closed & no doubt they'll be completely booked out tomorrow but hopefully I can get him in on Friday

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also bear in mind it's not uncommon to catch a virus that has a consistent annoying cough. My daughter has had two of these types of viruses in the last 6 or so months.
    One is called human metapneumonia virus and adenovirus. They are just common viruses like a cold or flu but they tend to cause coughing that goes on and on.
    DD coughed for about 4 or 5 weeks.
    It's not nice to hear our little ones coughing. But there might not be much you can do about it unfortunately.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (12-08-2015),TheGooch  (18-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Had similar situation with my ds. After a few trips to the doc he recommended ventolin and antihistamines. Both these helped ds in his situation.