+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Positive birth stories for second child after difficult first labour?

For those that had long, difficult labours with their first child - how did your second labour/birth compare?
    I had a 20 + hour difficult painful labour with DS that ended in E- CS and although I would like to try for VBAC this time I am a bit concerned about history repeating...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a 20 hour failed induction with DS1 which ended up in emergency section. Horrific labour and it took me years to get over it.

DS2 was a successful VBAC. Although he was posterior and I was in active labour for 72 hours and had to fight for my rights it was so empowering and amazing. It was a lot of hard work but still very positive.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My first was a long (35hrs+) labour and forceps delivery. It was pretty full on! My second was an induction and despite it taking a while to get labour going, it was a much easier birth. Once the contractions kicked in he was born in 2.5hrs without assistance. I was on a massive high for days!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    18 hour labour with my first. Baby was in a difficult position which caused me to push with every contraction for the last 4 hours of labour. Nothing I tried seemed to ease the pain.
    Second labour was 4 hours. It was painful but breathing, changing position, heat packs and being in water all helped a lot. It was after this labour that I really understood that what I felt last time was not normal contraction pain.
    2 totally different experiences for me and MUCH smoother second time around. Good luck. X

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first bub was born after a really long and difficult 23hr labor. Posterior bub with Meconium in waters and stressed heartrate. I hadn't had any drugs so it wasn't a response to that. I narrowly avoided a c-section but bus crashed and needed rescission. Had an awful tear too. It was so painful! I was so confident leading into labor but afterwards I was terrified of having another baby and going through that again.

2nd baby was born in 3hrs from first pain and completely stress free. I didn't even get one examination and just a small tear that didn't need stitches. I just sat on a football in the shower and then got on the floor and he was out within a few mins - I didn't even need to push. I felt amazing!

Best of luck

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mumsical For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Eeeek!! Well I haemmorraged with both my girls and had blood transfusions, so I am sorry, no help....I am just hoping my 3rd labour/birth experience is positive...stressing out a bit

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fit ball! Not football lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumsical View Post
    Fit ball! Not football lol
    Haha yeah that gave me a pretty funny visual!

Thanks
    Reviews
    First labour I was induced at 40+3, due to high blood pressure. I initially tried toughing it out, but eventually begged for an epidural. Good thing I did, because it took ages to progress (even with syntocin). During pushing, DS seemed to get a bit stuck (wasn't turning properly) and started to go into foetal distress, so I had a vacuum delivery. Despite an episiotomy, I ended up with additional tearing. DS had a shoulder dystocia, which required some tricky manoeuvering. The placenta didn't want to detach and had to be manually removed (ie by OB's hand), and I had a PPH. All in all, I came out of it pretty sore for a few weeks, and felt a bit emotionally and physically scarred.

The next time (just last week!) I was induced at 38+1 (to ensure a smaller baby and avoid shoulder dystocia). I got the epidural in at the start and immediately felt calmer. I progressed way faster, because my body was experienced this time. Yet again, during pushing DS2 wasn't able to turn fully, so a vacuum was required. But I'd stretched much better this time (and DS2 was smaller than DS1) so I didn't need an episiotomy. Instead, I ended up with a single stitch for a graze. Again, the placenta wouldn't come away and had to be manually removed, but without a PPH (because my OB was prepared for it and took precautions). So despite history repeating for some aspects, it was nonetheless a far more positive experience

The birth experience the second time around was so much easier because I knew what to expect, because my body was already experienced, and because the medical team were able to tailor my care based on my previous history.

The recovery has also been much easier this time. I took Voltaren and Panadol for a couple of days (because it was offered) but haven't bothered since, because my perineum feels great. The first time it took weeks to feel normal, but this time it only took a few days.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 12-08-2015 at 00:35.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not crazy long, but my labour with DD was 15 hours. She was in the wrong position ( brow or face presentation) so the OB had to rotate her with forceps before getting her out. He couldn't rotate her anterior, so she came out posterior

My second labour was amazing. He was in a much better position as I was really conscious about how I sat to try. All up it was probably just under 11 hours from prelabour, but only 3 hours 50 mins from when contractions started ramping up. Had an active labour and birthed in the birthing pool. Second stage was only 8 mins!