+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Thermomix or Bellini... tell me about yours

Hope this is the right section to post this. I desperatly want a thermomix but obviously the price is a little off putting. I've heard a lot of chatter about the Bellini which apparently is just as good and a lot cheaper. I would love to hear about what you've got and how it works, if your happy with it etc. If you have a bellini does it do everything a thermi can? And also where did you buy your Bellini and for how much.
    I really just want to be well informed of what I'm buying and you bubhub gals are my go to for advice on anything and everything....
    Please help me decide!
    TIA 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi melimum.

I have neither BUT I joined the Bellini Addicts group on FB just to get an inside scoop from real people, see what they're cooking and more importantly, see what issues or faults might pop up.
    There doesn't seem to be too many.
    Some (people with Bellini and Thermy) say the Thermomix is far superior, and I would expect it is for the price tag but they also say if anything goes wrong with it they have to ship it off for maintenance and sometimes it's for things like the built in scales needing to be recalibrated.
    With the Bellini, especially is you buy it from Target, if something goes wrong and it's under warranty, you get a whole new machine.

I'm thinking along the lines of getting the Bellini Intelli.
    It's got a new in-store price now of $279, where it used to be $399.
    I figure, as it's a whole new way of doing things, I'll either love it or hate it.
    So it's a good place to start. If I love it, I can upgrade in time to a supercook or even a Thermy but even those that have done that, kept their Bellini for back up or for days when they're doing a huge cook off because they love it so much.

I love cooking but I'm so time poor these days that I'm just not enjoying it.
    Just getting dinner on the table every night has become so stressful lately.
    I'm hoping this little machine might help.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

melimum  (11-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've got a very old thermomix (about 15 yrs old) so that shows it does last well. It's not working perfectly, for example the scaled could do with being calibrated but I've figured ways to work around this. I've only recently started using it and prob use it al least 3-4 times a week. If I had the newer model or more bench space to leave it out I think I would use it daily. It really does make meals very simply. Last night I made a chicken pasta dish and it's great to do everything in one bowl. Normally I would need to fry chicken, cook sauce, pasta etc all separately but on thermomix it's all done in the machine. Less cleaning and you can just programme the instructions and leave it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

melimum  (11-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a Thermomix for 3 years and love it. I use it daily sometimes several times a day and for me it's worth every last cent.

A friend of mine recently borrowed a Bellini to help her decide. The blade broke, and her friend that she had borrowed it from said that was the second time it has broken but it's ok because still under warranty.

I don't have any personal experience with the Bellini. However, looking at the quality and solidity of the Thermomix, I can honestly say that if I backed my car over the Thermomix blade, it would probably do more damage to my car. I honestly think it's the quality you are paying for with Thermomix. They also have excellent customer service - these machines are designed to last 20 years + and they bend over backward to help you if you happened to have a problem.

Of course it's a totally personal decision and I am sure you will benefit greatly from either. It's really a decision on quality v cost. If you are not looking for a work horse, maybe the Bellini would be better. If you intend on using it everyday, seriously think about the quality issue.

For the record, my friend ended up getting a Thermomix. And she had been a total sceptic who had sworn she would never spend 2K on a kitchen appliance...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

melimum  (11-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had mine a year next week (happy birthday Thermione!) and I also use I pretty much daily, sometimes multiple times. I nearly bought a Bellini or thermochef but decided to save up a bit longer and go Thermomix because I had heard of a few people with problems with the Bellini.

I make more food from scratch and make things like desserts, bread, baked goods, dinners, sides (rice, mashed potatoes, steamed veg), staples (veg stock, butter), condiments (jam, pizza sauce). I love it. I love deciding what to make for dinner and it's so easy to use.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

melimum  (11-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like cooking from scratch - the whole process - but almost convinced myself I wanted a Thermomix after going to a demo. The thing that put me off the most was the 2 year warranty- they describe it as an 'inheritance item' and it's 2k but the warranty only lasts 2 years?! So I got a Bellini thinking that I would see whether I liked that 'style' of cooking and maybe I'd get a thermie if I did. Used it lots for about 2 months, then used it for prepping veg (ie like a food processor) and haven't used it much now for maybe 18 months. I had it replaced once under warranty in the first few months because it stopped heating - the new one came with a new 12 month warranty which was nice. But yeah - it's since been moved from the main kitchen bench and I rarely use it. I generally prefer cooking the 'traditional' way. It was handy for curds, cheese or béchamel sauce (though I made a roux in the machine first) and risotto. I also did some nice confit salmon and pestos... But in the end I'm glad I didn't buy a Thermomix.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

melimum  (11-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How do the meals taste out if the Thermomix and the Bellini?
    I read something the other day that said the thermy was more about food production than cooking and a friend said the Bellini dinners just aren't as tasty as when you do it from scratch the normal way.

BettyW, that's what I'm afraid of, it just sitting and gathering dust as I have my little ways and routines that I find I fall back on all the time. I'm not sure this old dog can be taught new tricks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the Bellini and have been able to use every thermomix recipe with success. I use it mostly as a time saver for food prep, soups, desserts, sauces (makes the perfect hollandaise and I just press the buttons and let it go....worth it just for that lol) and steaming food. I cook the occasional full dinner in it and they have been tasty.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Beljane For This Useful Post:

melimum  (11-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I do my mashed potatoes in it regularly. Turns out perfect each time again at the press of a button.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Beljane For This Useful Post:

melimum  (11-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    How do the meals taste out if the Thermomix and the Bellini?
    I read something the other day that said the thermy was more about food production than cooking and a friend said the Bellini dinners just aren't as tasty as when you do it from scratch the normal way.

D
    Of course it will be different - it's a different way of cooking. But different isn't necessarily bad - I made lasagne in my thermo - tasted different to the stove top version but hubby declared it restaurant quality nonetheless!

How much you use the Thermomix/Bellini depends on you - I keep mine on the bench and would use it often 3 times a day!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gumnut babies For This Useful Post:

melimum  (11-08-2015),Phony  (12-08-2015)